How to reset Norcold 1200 series refrigerator high temperature limit switch

rhodies1

remove outdoor lower fridge vent. Locate box with red light. It’s a bout 2 inches square. Hold a magnet against this box and see if it resets. If not you will need to remove cover and hold magnet against sensor inside. It should reset.

yumsbpa

I had to do this myself yesterday. While I was able to locate some vague hints that pointed me in the right direction, I couldn't find specific instructions, and it took a bit of trial and error. So I hope this step-by-step guide helps someone else out in resolving this common problem.

The high temperature limit switch is a safety device designed to shut down the refrigerator if the boiler overheats to avoid a catastrophic fire. Norcold issued a recall for refrigerators with a defective switch. The instructions below apply to refrigerators with the recall kit installed. These may be either refrigerators that were subject to the recall, or, like mine, refrigerators manufactured after the recall, which were apparently shipped with the recall kit pre-installed.

SYMPTOM: Norcold 1200 series (models 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211) absorption refrigerator stops cooling, the unit beeps, and the refrigerator front panel display shows alternating "LI" and "oP" message, after a driving rain or washing your RV.

CAUSE: The Norcold recall kit is a black plastic box, about 2.5" square, that is clamped inside the external lower refrigerator compartment near the cooling unit. The box has a rectangular opening in one face of it, with a red LED and four wires attached to the partially exposed circuit board inside. Because the circuit board is exposed, water that gets in through the lower compartment vent can cause the high temperature limit switch to open, even though a high temperature condition doesn't actually exist.

CAUTION: RESET THE HIGH TEMPERATURE LIMIT SWITCH ONLY IF YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT WATER ENTRY CAUSED THE SWITCH TO TRIP. (In my case, my wife reported that the refrigerator shut down and started beeping with the LI oP message while I was power-washing outside.) If it trips for any other reason, your refrigerator may have a serious problem, and you should have it inspected by a Norcold dealer before using it again.

TOOLS REQUIRED: Flat blade screwdriver and a magnet. The magnet needs to be moderately strong. I used a magnetic pickup tool from Lowe's, which says it can lift 3 pounds.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Leave the refrigerator turned on.
  2. Remove the lower refrigerator access compartment door on the outside of your RV.
  3. Locate the black plastic recall kit box. Confirm that the red LED is lit and not flashing. (If it's not lit, or it's flashing, you have a different problem, so these instructions don't apply.)
  4. If the recall kit box is not easily accessible, pull on it gently to remove it. It's held on by a simple spring clamp. Use caution as some of the wires leading to the box may be short, and you don't want to damage the circuit board by pulling on them too hard.
  5. Slide your flat-blade screwdriver into each of the three clips that hold the box cover onto the base to open the clips. Lift the cover off the base. Do not detach any of the wires attached to the circuit board--the board needs to be powered to reset the switch.
  6. Touch your hand and your magnet to the metal interior of the compartment to discharge any static electricity.
  7. Locate the reed switch on the circuit board. It is directly above the LED. It looks like a small black rectangular component, about 1/2" long and 1/8" wide, and the circuit board says "SWITCH" next to it. Here's a photo, although your circuit board may look slightly different as there are different revisions of the recall kit.
  8. Touch your magnet to the right end of the top of the reed switch and hold it there for about 5 seconds. (Avoid touching any other part of the circuit board.) This is the step I discovered by trial and error - simply moving the magnet around the switch won't do it; it takes prolonged contact at the right spot. When the switch resets, you may hear a faint click, and the red LED will go out.
  9. Go inside the RV and verify that the refrigerator is on, has stopped beeping, and the front panel display shows no messages.
  10. Wait 15-20 minutes to be sure that the refrigerator continues to operate normally. (I read some reports of the switch tripping again after a reset; this might be due to residual water remaining on the circuit board.)
  11. Line up the three clips on the recall box base with the cover, and press the cover into place so that the clips snap shut.
  12. Re-clamp the recall box in its original location. Ensure all the wires are firmly connected to the circuit board.
  13. Replace the lower refrigerator access compartment door.

If the limit switch trips again after performing these steps, I would suggest not resetting it, and instead having your refrigerator inspected by a qualified dealer.
Thank you! Thank You for posting! I did as you said and bam! it's fixed. I worked on trying to find the problem for hours and then I saw your post and sure enough the red light was on. Thanks!!