6000 mile trip..

caokgafamily

We are heading out this June for about a 6000 mile trip across the good ole USA. I've been working on the truck and the Bighorn getting it ready for the trip. I'm looking at ways to lighten everything up. I was going to remove the tail gate and take out items that are not needed for this trip. I just got new G614's on the Bighorn, so I feel pretty good about the tires. Does anybody have any thoughts what you would do to get ready for a trip like this. This will be our 3rd time in 6 years. I'm glad fuel is down compared to last summer. My 05 Powerstroke has 62k on it, air bags and fuel tool combo box.

Thanks for the input..

Steve

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I have no insight to give.....

But man that sounds like fun.

Have a SAFE fun trip.

caokgafamily

We are heading to Ca from Ga on I40. Staying in So Ca for a little bit then to No Ca for some time. We are mainly going out to visit friends and family.There some family we will never see again in this world. We are heading back east on I80. I can't explain to my friends what it is like being on the road at 6am with the sun coming up, they think I'm crazy. All I can say is FREEDOM !!!!!!

caokgafamily

10 months ago I thought I'd never walk again let alone travel across this great nation.

I'm feeling pretty blessed. T11 incomplete spinal cord injury.

Edd and Janet

I'm usually on the road at sunrise. Some people spend millions on original paintings that God sends to me free everyday in the form of a sunrise.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
If you get to Iowa on Route 80 and end up on the eastern half and need a beer, let me know.

caokgafamily

Maybe more than A beer, after all those miles..
There is a bunch of good micro's they have in Ca that I can't get in Ga. I trying to find a stash place to hide from DW.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Sounds like fun...We will be leaving late June taking somewhat the same path, first to So. Cali to visit family then headed up north to Bridgeport/ Twin Lakes area.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We just did a 4500 M trip in 17 days which was a lot of fun. We pulled everything out of the basement except for 2 chairs, 1 folding table, a ground rug and emergency roadside kit. Byrd pulled all patio lights and party stuff out as well. We also came back on I80 which was a good road compared to some of the other interstates in the northern areas. Good luck and have a safe trip.

caokgafamily

West TX,

I found a good AM station in West Texas about 3 years ago on I 10. It took more than a day to go thru Tx. Nice state & nice people...

talley

Prepare by ensuring all insurance and emergency road service is up to date and carry copies... along with your other preperations. Now for the fun part... made trip to souther california last year and one of the better places was Morro Bay. Spent several days there. Sunsets to match sunrises. Very nice little place and beach.

Have a safe trip, Jerry

santafedave

Santafedave
6000 mile trip

You gotta stop and stay the night in Flagstaff, AZ. It is off of I-40 and called Big Pines campground, awesome trees and the smell of pine is unforgetable. D.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
West TX,

I found a good AM station in West Texas about 3 years ago on I 10. It took more than a day to go thru Tx. Nice state & nice people...

I'm a young AARP member so its 'Rock108' for us! Try looking to the left as you leave Amarillo for the famous Cadillac Ranch :cool: (old caddy's buried head first off the side of I 40).

Last edited:

Dave

Traveling Two
Clean out the basement and truck (inside and bed), carry a 20oz six pack of bottled water and very little in food (buy what you need along the way). Clean out the cupboards and unnecessary pots, pans, cups etc. Probably won't need the winter blanket and clothes. Good luck, be safe and keep your tires inflated properly.

talley

You gotta stop and stay the night in Flagstaff, AZ. It is off of I-40 and called Big Pines campground, awesome trees and the smell of pine is unforgetable. D.

While in Flagstaff go by Black Bart's Restaurent and RV park... pretty good meal and better singing waiters. Walk to the evening meal from your RV site. RV sites OK for no frills park... watch some low branches and unlevel sites.

enthuz

10 months ago I thought I'd never walk again let alone travel across this great nation.

I'm feeling pretty blessed. T11 incomplete spinal cord injury.

Now that is an inspirational reason to travel. I have a spinal injury from the Marine Corps and Iraq. My DW and youngest son were in a car accident in September and now she has a permanent spinal cord injury which limits her (T4/T5 - I believe) left side of her body. We have been discussing doing the same. We want to go from VA to FL to CA and back.

I say live your life to the fullest. It is people like you that inspire me to live life with no limits. There are some good people in the HL family! I can't wait to be one later.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My suggestion is to get a good tire pressure monitoring system (if you don't have one.) If you are going through Amarillo, Tx. the Oasis RV Park on the west side of Amarillo is a great RV Park and has just reduced their rates for RVs. It is $15.00 a night and is right on I40. It is just west of the Cadillac Ranch (where the Cadillacs are 'planted' in the ground.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
We are heading out this June for about a 6000 mile trip across the good ole USA. I've been working on the truck and the Bighorn getting it ready for the trip. I'm looking at ways to lighten everything up. I was going to remove the tail gate and take out items that are not needed for this trip. I just got new G614's on the Bighorn, so I feel pretty good about the tires. Does anybody have any thoughts what you would do to get ready for a trip like this. This will be our 3rd time in 6 years. I'm glad fuel is down compared to last summer. My 05 Powerstroke has 62k on it, air bags and fuel tool combo box.

Thanks for the input..

Steve

Have fun, be safe and drive like you have all the time in the world so you don't miss anything. (That is what the passing lane for the others is for) I am envious and hopefully just a few years behind you doing the same!

Keep us up to date on your ramblings....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are heading out this June for about a 6000 mile trip across the good ole USA. Steve

We just did a 4500 M trip in 17 days which was a lot of fun.

WOW!!

Well I guess I am just getting to old. You guys are going on some pretty fast trips. Last year we went to the Maritimes in Canada. Left Halifax to go to Austin TX, 2700 miles, to go to DW nephew's wedding. It took us over a month and we were in a hurry. Nabo is doing 4500 in 17 days (round trip?). That is about 254 miles per day. We average 45mph. This is almost our maximum daily travel.

caokgafamily
How long are you going to take to make your 6k trip.

Nabo
Why are you removing all the stuff from your basement? Bring back contraband??:eek:

Glad to see you guys have your location spotted on the map. This is a good tool to see if a Heartland Owner is in your neighborhood. We are going on a northern route through Wisconson, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and back to Dallas. We are hoping we will make it back to Houston for the Rally in October.

Good Luck to the both of you. Travel safe and God Bless.