Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Heartland Owners

1. Print this Post   #1

New Heartland Owners

Hello everyoneNone

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 North Trail TT (Ultra Lite) 31RED and we will be towing it with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn, 3.9L V-8, 4x2, crew cab with the 1:3.62 rear end.

We took it out for it's maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago and we love it. We stopped at a CAT weight scale (truck stop) and weighed the entire rig - truck, trailer, 1/3 tank fresh water (grey and black had been dumped), 2 propane bottles, dual batteries, her, me and the dog.

Total weight was 12,200 lbs.

Am I overweight? Can I haul this trailer and not damage the truck?

Please, I know this is a typical question for a newbie, so please, be patient.

I've tried figuring out the GCVWR but everywhere I go, I get different answers, none of which makes any sense.

Thanks.

2. Print this Post   #2

Hi Jim and Carolyn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and the Owners Family. You will find lots of really great people here with lots of information.

I can't help you with the weights, but there are some here that will. They will want to know all the information on the tag on you truck door, GVWR and all that stuff.

Again welcome to the Heartland Forum and Family. And think about joining the Owners Club.

Jim M
    Jim and Bette
    04 GMC CC Dually D/A, MaxBrake, Riderights
    09 Bighorn 3670RL #9E011439
    Disc Brakes
    HOC #1003
    Heartland Owners Club Information

3. Print this Post   #3
    Past South Carolina Chapter Leader SouthernNights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-and-Carolyn View Post
    Hello everyoneNone

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 North Trail TT (Ultra Lite) 31RED and we will be towing it with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn, 3.9L V-8, 4x2, crew cab with the 1:3.62 rear end.

We took it out for it's maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago and we love it. We stopped at a CAT weight scale (truck stop) and weighed the entire rig - truck, trailer, 1/3 tank fresh water (grey and black had been dumped), 2 propane bottles, dual batteries, her, me and the dog.

Total weight was 12,200 lbs.

Am I overweight? Can I haul this trailer and not damage the truck?

Please, I know this is a typical question for a newbie, so please, be patient.

I've tried figuring out the GCVWR but everywhere I go, I get different answers, none of which makes any sense.

Thanks.
    Welcome to the club!
    http://www.trailerboats.com/images/e...%20ratings.pdf

Check this link for your tow rating. Are you sure you have a 3.9 V-8???
    Larry and Samantha
    Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

http://cloudsandoceans.blogspot.com/

4. Print this Post   #4

Welcome aboard

now your numbers don't really work out with the chart that Southernnights posted.

the 3.9?? maybe a v6. a 4.7 /v8 ???

Now I own a N.T. 31QBS I am loaded to camp at 12,600.
    I have a 2000 ext cab silverado. 4.8 liter, 3.73 gears.
    I am maxed out.
    now I also got different numbers from whoever I asked from 7,000 max trailer. I was told take gvwr of truck and add 7,000 trailer /???
    If that was right I'd be happier

I e-mailed GMC Canada, gave them my V.I.N from truck.
    within 3 buisness days I had my ACUALL total combined gross vehicle weight rating.
    I was upset that I did not do my homework before and ask GMC. I was left with my truck maxed out for my trailer
    Northtrail 31QBS #0648
    Calgary, alta, Canada
    2000 silverado ext cab.
    Irvin Fike

5. Print this Post   #5
    Full-time WANNABE

Welcome aboard!!!! Have fun with your new home away from home!

That "3.9" has to be a "4.8" or something closer to that and that is still a 6 cyl. You should be looking at a 5.something to be typically in 8 cyl territory. You need to check that!!!
    Ron "Rockerga" and Debbie Smith
    2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Crew Cab - Duramax 6.6l
    Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
    Proud USMC Combat Veteran

6. Print this Post   #6
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Take another look at your engine and rear axle. In the chart given, there is no 3:62 axle and the 3.7L engine is a V-6. The maximum trailer weight for that engine is only 3800 lbs. Your 31RED has a DRY weight of 5434 lbs, so you'd be way overweight just leaving the dealership. Now, if you actually have the 4.7L V-8, and a 3:92 axle, you're good up to 7650 lbs. according to the chart.

If you've been pulling your TT around with no problems and it doesn't sound like the engine is straining and no smoke pouring from underneath, you probably have your vehicle specs. wrong. If not...good luck!
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

7. Print this Post   #7

HI Newbies!

According to the www.dodge.com website. Your engine is probably a 3.7L V6, not a V8. Your axle ratio appears to be 3.92. Based on this info, your max trailer is only 3800 lbs. Your trailer almost double that weight loaded.
    Those numbers are based on a standard cab with 2WD. Download the chart from Dodge and you will see the numbers go down from there.

The best thing to do is check the engine code from your VIN number on the dash or registration. If your code is K, then you have the 3.7 V6, Code N is the 4.7 V8, Code D is the 5.7 Hemi.

If you have trouble call your nearest dealer with the vin and they will tell you. Based on the info from Dodge, you either well over with the 3.7L or at the limit with 4.7L. I think your RV salesperson owes you lunch!
    2008 Sundance XLT 310QB
    2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4WD 4.10 Gears
    2002 GMC Yukon XL 5.3 4WD 3.73 Gears

8. Print this Post   #8

Not trying to start anything, just get these folks to the right info. This is the link for the specs.
    http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...r/mlup1500.pdf

And there is no 3:62 axle shown there, either. With the 3.7L V-6, the fact remains that 3800 lbs. is the maximum trailer weight. For the 4.7L V-8, with 17" tires and the 3:92 axle, they show 7250 lbs. for the trailer, with the HD cooling package on the truck. That seems "reasonable" since my previous '02 Avalanche (1500 series) had a trailer rating of 7100 lbs, with a 5.3L engine and a 3:73 axle. That pulled our TT (dry wt. 5200 lbs) with no problem.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

9. Print this Post   #9

My mistake. I intended to say that the axle ratio listed was incorrect.
    That being said an 80% weight to limit margin what is considered to be safe by the experts. Boating, Trailer Life etc. 80% of 7300 lbs would be around 5840 lbs. Heartland lists the dry weight as 5334 lbs. This does not include propane, water, and gear. (Check the weight sticker inside the cabinet)
    A full load of water would add 288 lbs. Propane (including bottles) 60lbs. The total is now 5682 lbs. Now add your gear, food, wood, and spare tire.
    Realistically the trailer loaded would be at around 6000lbs. This exceeds the 80% safety margin. The trucks BASE weight is 5000 lbs.The max combined is 12,500 lbs. Add gas, cargo, and gear, and this truck is at its limit. They had the truck and trailer weighed with 1/3 water. The total was at 12,200. This was the maiden voyage. As time by and they add more gear or people, this weight will increase.
    On a flat grade it will do fine. But in the Tennessee, Kentucky, GA, or Colorado mountains it will most likely overheat the transmission.
    Safety and dependability are most important.
    2008 Sundance XLT 310QB
    2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4WD 4.10 Gears
    2002 GMC Yukon XL 5.3 4WD 3.73 Gears

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestatueman View Post
    My mistake. I intended to say that the axle ratio listed was incorrect.
    That being said an 80% weight to limit margin what is considered to be safe by the experts. Boating, Trailer Life etc. 80% of 7300 lbs would be around 5840 lbs. Heartland lists the dry weight as 5334 lbs. This does not include propane, water, and gear. (Check the weight sticker inside the cabinet)
    A full load of water would add 288 lbs. Propane (including bottles) 60lbs. The total is now 5682 lbs. Now add your gear, food, wood, and spare tire.
    Realistically the trailer loaded would be at around 6000lbs. This exceeds the 80% safety margin. The trucks BASE weight is 5000 lbs.The max combined is 12,500 lbs. Add gas, cargo, and gear, and this truck is at its limit. They had the truck and trailer weighed with 1/3 water. The total was at 12,200. This was the maiden voyage. As time by and they add more gear or people, this weight will increase.
    On a flat grade it will do fine. But in the Tennessee, Kentucky, GA, or Colorado mountains it will most likely overheat the transmission.
    Safety and dependability are most important.
    I'll agree that they would be OK in the flatlands, but would not take it into the big hills. Not without a auxilliary trans oil cooler. With the TT and Avalanche, I explored doing that, but was told I really didn't need it UNLESS I wanted to pull it into the highlands.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast