Docking Station Drain

sunriverman

We enjoy our new Sundance MK2900 but wonder if anyone has put a drain in their docking station. Seems like we always get a little water sitting on the bottom of the basin. Also had a leak weeping from the pressure water connection which weeped back in behind, ran down and got the floor of my storage bay wet. Teflon taped the hose and took care of the leak. Will caulk the fitting from behind so no water can seep into the cavity. Any ideas re a drain? thanks for your thoughts.

VixPix

While we own a Landmark, I've noticed that there is not caulk around the UDC bottom opening which allows any stray water to drain from the floor quickly. Your Sundance may be similar. Sorry to hear about the behind the wall leak. We had ours in for some service and apparently the technician knocked the pump output line loose from the water pump. This provided us with lots of winterization anti-freeze in our storage bay. It's a mess!

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Sinriver I have noticed the same thing, that and it is not caulked on the outer wall and water has seeped in to my basement as well.

I have not thought about the drain, seems like a good idea.

Normall I push the water out the access hole and keep a cloth in the area for that final drying.

sunriverman

Docking station drain

Guess I will contact Heartland and suggest a drain be a part of the base of the unit. The problem with installing one now is how to put a recess in the docking station so that it is the lowest point. It needs to have a tube through the base and lip that get sealed or caulked. Someone out there I am sure is already got it figured out. Drying out the underbelly area also is a tough one as it take a great amount of heat and air to accomplish. rod

Peteandsharon

I dealt with this in my Bighorn the very first time I took it out. Water would leak into the docking station compartment and then leak into the basement area. I caulked all around the inside edge of the docking station and I drilled three 5/8 inch holes in the floor of the docking station and ran flexible hose into each hole such that it drains down below the docking station on the ground. The hose fits the hole perfectly and is pushed in enough so that the top of the hose does not stick up above the level of the floor. Works great.

dreamer

drain

I have an 2900mk and installed a drain in the UDC. Drilled a hole through the floor in a corner that would allow a piece of 3/8 copper pipe to be jammed in. I then drilled a much larger hole over the previous hole to a depth of say 1/4 inch. The purpose of this hole was to act as a funnel and allow me to coat the big hole with silicon in hopes of sealing the entry to the pipe [edges] and the exposed flooring edges. It seems to work well.

wdk450

Short term solution?

Gang:
Until we can work out the low point problem, I have a couple of ideas.

1. You could store dry rags or dry sponges in the compartment to soak up and later evaporate any inadvertent leaks (I get most of mine from the city water connection).

2. We could come up with some sort of a liner (rubber or plastic) temporarily secured to the back and side walls with something like 3M Command hooks. You could unhook the liner and dump the unwanted water to the outside of the compartment

Our Big Country had the same problem, when we used the unit for the first time,no cauking along the bottom of the UDC,water leaked into he storage area, I took it back to the dealer, thy billed Heatland for the cleanup and caulked the lower bottom area of the UDC ctr , now it works great,a drain of some sort would be a good idea, having the factory caulk that area,would be a start and a good idea.

cashb

just wondering if Heartland has made any modifications, I.E., a drain or caulking, on their new products?

caissiel

I have never placed the cover tight, on the bottom and never got any water. It don't seam to move so far.

Duramax1

I purchased a sponge from the Dollar Store and it stays in the UDC for removing any water that collects when I am changing my water connections, which is the only time I experience any water collection in the UDC.

A pretty simple solution as I am not too keen on drilling holes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I purchased a sponge from the Dollar Store and it stays in the UDC for removing any water that collects when I am changing my water connections, which is the only time I experience any water collection in the UDC.

A pretty simple solution as I am not too keen on drilling holes.

One way to stop connecting/reconnecting hoses is to fabricate a manifold for the UDC. Then there is only one connection to deal with. This is mine, others have made nicer looking ones.

Duramax1

I purchased a set of "quick connect" hose connectors at a local garden shop which enable me to quickly and easily move the external hose between the black tank inlet and the water inlet connectors.