2nd AC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just wanted to throw something out to you if you are considering whether you need a 2nd Air Conditioner. We are at our home in Texas about 75 miles north of Houston. Today we were outside and man was it hot. It was about 3pm and when I looked at the thermometer it was 104.8. No wonder it felt hot. I keep the ACs (we have 2) on in the RV when it is parked in our driveway. The thermostats were on 80. The RV was cool and neither AC was running, just normally cycling. At 615pm I checked the thermometer again and it was 110.6. At 8pm it was 99. So if you plan to be in the south in the summer (and our hotter time is usually in late August) consider getting 2 ACs. You will need them. I do have to admit at 110.6 degrees we stayed inside our 75 degree house. (The RV was still cool at 80).:D

BTW we just got home yesterday from cool Elkhart/Goshen Indiana. Sure do miss that cool weather.

jmgratz

At least you have the cool ocean breezes, here in the 'Piney Woods' all we have is heat. I tried to put some water on the grass today but it evaporated before it reached the ground LOL:D

fhollan

To Hot!

I do agree with jmgratz, that with those kind of temperatures, you better have two A/C's. Even with the improvements I've made recently with the one, it wouldn't keep up. In fact, that's to hot for me.

How's the humidity??

timdebs

I have a 39' Pinehurst and am planning on getting the 2nd unit installed next week. The question I have is whether to go with a Coleman 9000 or Dometic 13500? The other a/c is a Dometic. Any advice?

jmgratz

I have the Duo Therm 13500 for the 2nd unit. I believe more is better when trying to cool in 100 plus temps.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim,
Those cool breezes aren't helping too much with this heat and humidity. We have the Duo Therm 13,500 for our second unit and at times it doesn't seem to be enough but I don't know where we'd put a third air conditioner.

timdebs

We live in eastern North Carolina about 35 miles from the ocean. It gets very hot and humid here. I am thinking also bigger might be better. Is one better than the other as far as quality and performance?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I went with a CarrierV 15,000 for the bedroom. We are in Kemah, TX, just southwest of Houston. Elizabeth has to go outside to warm up:D. I decided that bigger was better, and have not regretted it. I picked ours up from ebay, was brand new out of an RV place in Florida. With shipping it came to $609. Found a local guy to put it in for $165.00. So the total was $774.00. I also had him move the Fantastic Fan from the bedroom to the bath and am really happy with that move. The folks next to us have been getting estimates from local dealers and have not had an estimate under $1000 for a second AC.
Fred

timdebs

The price for a/c including installation is $834 for the Dometic 13500 and $910 for the Coleman 9000. They are going to put it where the fantastic fan is.

timdebs

I had not thought about moving the fan from the bedroom to the bathroom, that is a great idea!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
timdebs, your right, it is a great idea. when i moved mine, I changed the single light switch in the stool room to a double switch. Not only is the switch convenient, you can always open the fan cover manually just a bit if it is raining. We always run the fan when showering. I draws a lot more air than the origional one.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC00489.JPG
    DSC00489.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 17

timdebs

I called Camping World and told them what I wanted to do, they said that would not be a problem at all. I will also let them know about the double switch. Thank you for the advice. Tim

jgailliot

I live in the roasting capital of America, Lake Havasu City, AZ 110 during the months of July thru Sept is considered a cool snap. When we bought or 2900 MK last July the first thing we added was the second air. It has been great! Our last trailer was a 26' bumper pull and the single air would not cool it down much in the summer. We camp mostly in cooler areas during the summer, but the second air is great when we are loading, unloading and cleaning the trailer here at home. But as we say it's a dry heat and beats -40 and snow. The lake is great and the bass fishing is top notch.

SilverRhino

In another thread "Height of Unit with 2nd Air....someone mentioned that when you have a 2nd air conditioner added to the bedroom to "have it cut into the existing duct".

Has anyone else done this? I guess I always thought that the bedroom units just blew the cold air out the bottom ( like in a pop-up ), is that not true?

I am sold on buying the second unit if I can connect it to my BC's esisting ducting!!!:eek: