Drivers License - For 5th Wheel and Truck..

buckeyebob

ok,so if i am on a trip from ohio and travel through california on to wash. oregon.and into british col.i will need a special license to pull 2900 mk sundance?even if i am an ohio resident? buckeyebob

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
bob,
It only stands to reason that you would not be held accountable for CA RV license laws if you are a resident of a different state. It does make me wonder though because of the different gun laws per state. My advice is to call the DMV in Ohio and CA ask that very question.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
To my knowledge, all states honor the driver's licenses of each of the other states.

lvfun

Cyclone 4012 Owner
Towing over 10,000

Generally speaking, if you tow a weight over 10,000lbs you will need a towing endorsement to your license. This is pretty much uniform across the country. If your gross combined vehicle weight (towing vehicle plus the GVW of the 5'er, not the actual weight in many states, but the capacity of the trailer)exceeds 26,000lbs (some states vary weight) you will most likely need a class A license. I was pulled over in Pomona, CA on the way to Disneyland and the first thing the CHP officer checked was my GCVWR and asked for my class A, indicating if I didn't have it I would be issued a citation. When I bought my Cyclone, I also went the next day and obtained a Class A learners permit and shortly thereafter took the driving test for the Non-Commercial class A.

2010augusta

I was pulled over in Pomona, CA on the way to Disneyland and the first thing the CHP officer checked was my GCVWR and asked for my class A, indicating if I didn't have it I would be issued a citation.

I see you are located in NV, so perhaps your CHP officer knows that NV requires an Class A/B, but I didn't think that a California could give you a ticket even if you had the wrong Nevada license.

wyleyrabbit

We live in BC and I got my code 51 endorsement this past spring. It was a written test, eye exam, 55-point commercial pre-trip inspection (by me, by memory), and a 1 hour road test towing the bighorn. There was no backing up on the test; in the examiner's words, "my job is to ensure that you are safe on the road, and it really doesn't matter to me how long you take to back into your campsite." If anyone has any questions on this, let me know.

Cheers,
Chris

PS - I believe that there is an agreement that if you meet your home licence requirements, then you're good everywhere. Check it out first before you go anywhere.

TrickyD

After browsing the 2 posted links I think that a lot of info is outdated. Manitoba laws now mimmick those of B.C. Also, according the the driver's handbook RV's must stop at weigh stations. Just returned from a trip to Alberta and noticed signs at the weigh scales in Alberta and Saskatchewan that stated RV's exempt, but not in Manitoba!
I believe the rules changed here in June 2008!

TrickyD

wdk450

The thought crossed my mind today for the many new owners I see posting. You need to check that your driver's license is sufficient for your new rig in your home state. I hear that the rules are starting to be more enforced on this.

Ted, this has be discussed a lot here on the forum. You might type in "license" in the search page. In california, under 10K your class "C" is good, 10K -15K you need an indorsement for your class"C". 15001 and above you need a class "A" non- commercial license. Bob:D

robnmo

In Indiana if you read the legal definitions, then exemptions for CDL's, it puts a "commercial vehicle" over 26K lbs but then in another chapter exempts vehicles registered as RV's, and even vehicles used primarily for purposes of transporting an individuals personal property (paraphrasing here) but every state is going to be different. Can you imagine the ramifications of requiring a CDL for RV's? Physicals, blood pressure testing, medical issues, etc associated with CDL requirements and owning/operating an RV? Bet AARP and the RV industry would get their undies in a wad real quick. (but I've also learned to never say never) ;-)

As for the State compacts, any state in the drivers license compact honors the issuing state's requirements for operator's licensing AND registrations. Something also to think about is in some states it's my understanding if you purchase a "permanent plate" you might be pushing the envelope of a "commercial vehicle" classification thus subject to those regulations.

Someone also mentioned about licensing laws being honored from State to State and compared the different enforcement of Firearms laws from State to State............those are 2 completely different animals, licensing/registration of motor vehicles is dependant upon State Government, but Firearm Laws can be administered and varied by the States but are in themselves regulated Federally.

rvn4fun

We have traveled through many states and have never been asked about drivers licence, in California we have been asked at checkpoints if we had fruit in the rv, pets, and once illegal aliens. We travel very often in Nebraska and have never pulled into a weigh station there. Maybe we have been lucky but we never speed, and always use turn signals. In fact we have been asked for more credentials trying to get campground reservations here in Texas then we have ever had to give a policeman. But this thread is interesting as to what some states require.

DW_Gray

Well I'm in the process of getting my Non-Commercial Class A here in CA for my big rig. I passed the written test today and turned in my health questionnaire. Now there is another delay. The health questionnaire has to be reviewed by someone in Sacramento before I can take the driving test. I guess they're concerned I might keel over at the wheel because of my heart. Well duh, they've been letting me drive for the last 12 years no questions asked. That's California for you. If they come back and deny my license, somebody better come and tie me down.

Update: I never did get my CA license nor have I ever heard from them. As soon as I arrived in Florida I got driver's license here and registered my TV and RV here. California wanted over $1,400 to renew and I have few choice words about that. My initial registration cost here in FL for both was only $289. Next year will be about half that. My driver's license was free and it's good up to 26,000 GVWR.

DXprowler

Information on RV's for Ontario drivers can be found here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/recreational-vehicles/part2a.shtml

To summarize: Ontario is reciprocal to out of prov/state drivers if they're legal in their own jurisdiction and have a valid drivers licence.
A Class A Restricted (less air brake endorsement) is required for a combination over 24,250 lbs
What's interesting is that the combination weight is determined by registered weight and not by the total of truck and trailer manufactures GVWR ratings.