Need tips on leveling 5th wheel

05Winger

Hi,
We recently purchased a 2010 Sundance 287RL. We have never owned a 5th wheel and was wondering if there are any tips on how to level it properly. The first time we took it out, we did not seem to be able to level it from side to side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I use the lego style blocks, and level it up to the countertop in the kitchen. Usually works pretty good for us. I usually try to leave it a fraction low on the door side, then when I slide out the 3 slides on the other side, it levels right out.
Fred

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This is how I get the job done. Others will have their method, but in the end we all wind up level. First thing is to go to your local Walmart or dealer and get some of those stick on bubble levels. Then get your rig level, by using wooden planks, or plastic leveling blocks under the tires on the low side, by using a level on the floor inside the coach. I used a six foot level. Once you are satisfied that it is level, go to the front of your coach and above the garage door, centered above the door, stick one of your new bubble level to the wall. Be sure it reads level when you attach it. There is also available, a large bubble level that attaches to the pin box. Once your bubbles reflect level, each time you pull into a campsite you can look at the level and tell how much you need to add under your tires to get the rig level. Hope this helps.

Peace
Dave

05Winger

5th wheel leveling

Thanks for the tips. What about the front jacks on the fifth wheel? Is a tripod a good thing to have? Does any one use the SteadyFast system?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I tried the tri-pod on the king pin and felt no appreciable difference. I purchased the JT Strongarm stabilizers and have noticed a huge difference. I also put screw jacks under the frame, by the wheels. This makes a big difference as the frame doesn't flex on the springs. I don't tighten them too tight just enough to keep the frame from flexing. Good luck and don't be afraid to try different things. Many people swear by the king pin tri-pod and so many different methods work for different people. Find what works for you.
Most of all, enjoy your rig and welcome to the Heartland family.
Fred

4ever

Like the others have said, level side to side first using level blocks or wood. After you unhook you can level frontto back. Always use the front landing gear to get the unit leveld front to back. The rear stablizers should never be used for leveling the unit. They are just for stablizing. Enjoy and have fun.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although expensive, the JT LVL-1 works great. Rather than installing the sending unit on the floor under a cabinet, I just taped it to the kitchen counter in the center of the rig. Reads both side to side and front/back. You can tell at a glance, before getting out of the TV, how many inches you need to raise either side to get level. Then use it at the jack switch to get front/back done.

I installed the Ultra-Fab Eliminators and Elephant pads on my rig, and use a screw jack in front of the tires, as well. Don't have a king pin stand.

grizzlygiant

If you level side-to-side with the slides retracted (in) you will be out of level when you edxtend the slides (if they are both on one side like my 2800 Sundance) since the center of gravity changes. With the slides in you have to set the side with the slides a little high.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hi,
We recently purchased a 2010 Sundance 287RL. We have never owned a 5th wheel and was wondering if there are any tips on how to level it properly. The first time we took it out, we did not seem to be able to level it from side to side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We also have the 287RL. I find the pin level works best for me, each mark equals one inch of blocking needed (or dig out that amount). Like the others have said level side to side then front to back.

Attachments

• PICT0026.JPG
    PICT0026.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 110

Doolymax

porthole

Retired
My preference is for side to side level with the slides in then hopefully it will be just slightly low on the left side, good for making sure the AC drips on the off door side.

scotty

5th Wheel Stabliziers

:confused: Debating between JT Strongarm at $342 or the ultra-Fab Eliminators @ 285. Is the $137 difference worth it? I already have a Tri-Pod, but no overly impressed with it.:(

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Eliminator from Camping World and they look and work just like the JT Strongarms but cost considerably less.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I first heard about the tripod, bipod for the pinbox and the JT Strongarm system I just snickered to my self and though what the heck your living on wheels and springs what do you expect. When I had the Mor/Ryde IS & DB's installed they offered the JT Strongarms. I had heard a lot of people say they worked real well, so lets give it a try.

To my surprise they work very well. When DW is in the bedroom and does her famous roll over I feel a little movement, but there is a lot of difference. I would highly recommend them if you stay in your trailer long periods of time.

BC

Uncle Rog

Leveling..............

All we do is figure out where we want to be and level the axles side to side using 2x8's or Chopper Bill's air bags, with the truck still hooked up.
When lowering the landing gear we set the high side down a click or two lower, to match the axle difference, and then, when the truck is gone, adjust the front to back level.........................

caissiel

I have been using 2 x 6 lumber cut to about 12" long, I have used 2 x 8 but they split real easy. My 3500RL trailer is real heavy on the wheels and I want to keep the tire belts from breaking so I arrage the 2 x 6 under the wheels sideways and install 3 side by side on the front wheel and 2 on the back wheel (only 2 will fit between the wheels), and when the Mrs moves the truck forward I place the 3rd one in front of the 2. If the trailer is not level I will place a 2nd row, most of the time 1 rows will suffice . Being new with the BC I find it takes a lot of traction to climb the blocking so I use the Low Rang 4x4 to set it level on blocks. Sometimes I will have one row on the rear wheel and 2 rows on the front wheel, that way it makes 1 1/2 rows. If you level backward just reverse the order. I have been using this method for 16 years and so far it never failed me. I block the opposite side wheels. and for that I also use 2 x 6 blocking

Bobby A

Hear is a question I always wanted to ask. Is it o.k to level the trailer with the slideouts out ?? without fear of damageing the slideout gears or mechicisms. I know sometimes you might have to full forward or backwords the distance of the tires to get wood under the low side, so just wondering on everyones thoughts on this. I know there is some added risks making sure you don't hit utilitys poles, electrical boxes or trees.