And so it begins

trippingt

I just got my 3950 and I pull it with a dually F-350. I noticed that when I stop the trailer osclates up and down. I was thinking that air springs would help. But reading this post, do I need the disc brakes?

Trippingt

porthole

Retired
I just got my 3950 and I pull it with a dually F-350. I noticed that when I stop the trailer osclates up and down. I was thinking that air springs would help.

What do you mean by "osclates"
What year truck?
Our truck is an 11 F-DRW and even though it has a huge capacity I will still be adding some type of "air" assistance. Mostly just to level out the truck.

do I need the disc brakes?

No - you shouldn't need them - but if you add them you will never look back! It will be pricey though on a 3 axle trailer (actually it is pricey on a 2 axle)

porthole

Retired
TPMS mount on the dash of the new truck. Switching to the 507 system meant a new way to mount the monitor.
I used a piece of HVAC sheet metal and some 3M tape.
In this position the screen is visible with the truck in gear.

AND - with the monitor in place, this also doubles as an iPhone holder, vertical or horizontal. The phone slips in behind the monitor.

Attachments

• TPMS_F-350_01.jpg
    TPMS_F-350_01.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 490
  • TPMS_F-350_02.jpg
    TPMS_F-350_02.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 458
  • TPMS_F-350_03.jpg
    TPMS_F-350_03.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Had to go all the way to Elkhart to find my 3rd switch for my garage lights.
This one was a little special, a double throw single pole for the bunk beds.

This was changed out because I moved the wall switches up 5 inches to the pictured location to clear the dresser I installed. This set also replaces 2 different switch assemblies.

And just in case, while in Indy, I picked up a 4 gang switch assembly.

Duane,

I am new here and just purchased a 2010 3010 - and I must say I am very very impressed with your work. I would like to pick your brain some if I may.

did you order the top to size - or did you have to cut it down?
Where did you get the switches - Can I order those, ie do they have a PN and a phone number?

I am looking at putting desk in the Garage to the left of the slider that will fold up/down and will house 2 22 inch LCD Monitors mounted inside. I plan on extending power from the outlet under the over head cabinets to power the LCDs and the Laptop.

has anyone found what stain matches the interior best? Or is it hit/miss

Thanks for any assistance/info you can provide. You are truly inspiring.

Kevin

porthole

Retired
did you order the top to size - or did you have to cut it down?

Are you referring to the top for the cabinet in the garage?

That is the same top used in the bedroom dresser, just cut down to fit. I went that route so it would match.

Where did you get the switches - Can I order those, ie do they have a PN and a phone number?

I have never had any luck ordering these switches, even though I have located part numbers and the importer, just could not work with them.
I did get the switches at the RV Surplus store in Elkhart. They have tons of surplus stuff in boxes and hanging on the walls.
There are 2 surplus stores in Elkhart, one is more of a repository for old RV manufactures who have gone out of business, the other is more of a storefront.
The "storefront" store is where I got the switches, they are hanging on the wall.

I am looking at putting desk in the Garage to the left of the slider that will fold up/down and will house 2 22 inch LCD Monitors mounted inside. I plan on extending power from the outlet under the over head cabinets to power the LCDs and the Laptop.

There is room in the breaker panel to add breakers, why not just run a new line from the panel to the garage? That is on list of things to do and may even get to it this week since I have the underbelly off.

has anyone found what stain matches the interior best? Or is it hit/miss

I have yet to match the color, and received no help from Heartland.
Cherry has it's own issues too, it changes color with age.

porthole

Retired
JT Stabilizers added to Level Up.
When the Level Up was installed the front jacks were not set at a 5 degree angle, which means it tends to wobble a bit. Especially with the washer-dryer or when the dogs start going nuts scratching or rough housing.

I used one of the old landing gear legs, cut off a piece and welded it on to the Level Up landing gear pads. Did the same for the rear hydraulic jacks. I had bought a used set of JT's off one of the members at Goshen, so I had extra pieces needed (saddles) and extra arms.

Several things I noticed with the JT's; the new kit has heavier components and the arms straddle the pads instead of butting up against them (seems like a better idea). The tolerances are much tighter on the new kit. The older kit has quite a bit of play between the bolt holes and bolts.
The tee handles are welded much better on the older kit. I snapped two Tee handles so far and sliced my finger open doing it.

Attachments

• JT's_01.jpg
    JT's_01.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 464
  • JT's_02.jpg
    JT's_02.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 424
  • JT's_03.jpg
    JT's_03.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 428
  • JT's_04.jpg
    JT's_04.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 404
  • JT's_05.jpg
    JT's_05.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 431
  • JT's_06.jpg
    JT's_06.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 389

porthole

Retired
Seems like older installations of the Level Up had the original landing gear switch disconnected.
I removed my switch and housing altogether to make room for an air line.

Thanks to Jon Holbert - landing gear switches are being reinstalled - wired up mine and put the switch next to the air hose.
This is a great idea for when you just want to use the front jacks.

Attachments

• Landing_gear_switch.jpg
    Landing_gear_switch.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 346

porthole

Retired
Don't know, didn't notice it until after I got home. But the easy guess may be because of the generator - it is in the way.

porthole

Retired
Duane; Your inbox is full. I can use the pieces. Thanks Jon

Jon - I emptied it out. OK - you got it, just a question of how soon you want it. My next HL gathering is Hershey, then Bath (hopefully) If you want it sooner pm your address.
And can you cut the leg to size? I used a band saw at my buddies shop.
You also need to open up the holes to 1/2" to use the front leg brackets.

porthole

Retired
Don't know how I missed this post, but yes, kinda, 1/4 to the axles. Tee there, 3/16 to the calipers.

I asked about doing this at MOR/ryde, they don't. So if I ever have a reason to .......................... It will give me something else to do.

porthole

Retired
Any idea why the level up was not installed without the 5 degrees?
Don't know, didn't notice it until after I got home. But the easy guess may be because of the generator - it is in the way.

Looked at Roger B's Cyclone this past weekend. His trailer was done about a month before mine. With his they mounted the legs in the propane compartments. That gives them extra width seperating the legs, and they are angled. Would have been nice to have had mine mounted outboard as well.

porthole

Retired
Not really a trailer mod here.
When the trailer was new it went right to MOR/ryde for a suspension upgrade. Having the garage made it easy to bring home all the spare parts.

I occasionally tried to sell of the axles to no avail. Even tried giving them away - still no takers. And these were complete, dust cap to dust cap, u-bolts to shackles.

So, I took them to the shop and wouldn't you know it - 10 minutes after the the band saw was fired up I got two "hey, I would have taken them".
Too late. Both axles cut, some spare bed frame angle, the MIG welder with the "left on gas bottle" and I now have a heavy duty firewood rack. Just big enough for the wood I keep for camping.

I'll take a better picture later, the iPhone is not really a replacement camera.

Attachments

• axles_rack.JPG
    axles_rack.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 382

porthole

Retired
My 3500 pound rated wood rack - correct to my 14,000 pound rated wood rack

Attachments

• Log_rack.jpg
    Log_rack.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I had obtained extra material while at the factory. Here is one of the projects. Although the tailor I brought this project to assured he could make sliding door drapes, his skill level is not quite up to what I was expecting.

Attachments

• garage_drapes.jpg
    garage_drapes.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 519