Electric Awning won't retract

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John,
Dometic has a retrofit kit free of charge to be able to lower one end of your electric awning like 2010augusta said. Unfortunately you have to have an authorized Dometic dealer or technician install it for whatever they want to charge. The pictures I have are from another forum that someone else here told us about. Anyway they at least show what they look like, and this is specific to the A&E 9100 awning.

BTW here is the link for the A&E 9100 manual
The manual states to use the pull strap provided, unfortunately we did not get one. Betting that no one did. Who has all the pull straps??????

Also,I too have been concerned about what happens if the darn thing should fail butis outweighed by the fact that when it does work it is really really nice. My wife would never even attempt to use any awnings we had on our fifth wheels in the past espescially if I wasn't around. They were too cumbersome and you had to be 7 foot tall to loosen the one end closest to the kingpin. So for us this electric awning has been great and so far we have been very pleased. But I will be doing my homework now and getting to know what it will take to retrct it in the event of a failure.

Hope things work out for the best,
Mark

Thanks, Mark. So far, it doesn't look like it will have a puddling problem since it's supposed to bend under load and drain. Fully extended, it appears to drain pretty well, as is. Problem was getting it in during gusty winds and it decided it wanted to not retract. I did go and get a Cosco folding/extension ladder to keep in the basement, so I can reach any point on the sides.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks, Jim. I found and downloaded the manual for it. Fortunately, I kept a spare strap and awning rod from my TT, cuz this rig didn't come with them. For now, it's working, but it's now something not to be trusted.

I have had a reoccuring problem with our awning. It would extend fine but would stop about 3/4 of the way in when retracting. Then after about 45 seconds would come the rest of the way in. It has been getting progressively worse and finally I was barely able to get it in. Just had it looked at and the RV tech found the control board to be bad. He replaced the control board and it works better than it ever has. Even the remote works which never worked right before. MORAL - If you are having problems get it looked at while in warranty. Now we are happy campers in the shade.