Advice Please

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
My wife and I were looking forward to our first extended trip (35 days through Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana) with our Bighorn 3055. The plan was to go through Goshen, Indiana to get the “level up” system installed at Trail Air. This was done and let me tell you that it is everything expected plus more. With the remote, not only can I level up the unit within 15-20 minutes but I can also open the slides remotely. I can adjust the pin height directly from the TV and hooking up or off is a breeze. I was the envy of the other campers. My experience with Dale Fenton, Bob Tiedge and Ron the installer was great, first class all the way.
Unfortunately, that was the only good side of our trip.
In Iowa (Stuart), the TV broke down (message was engine power reduced, check owner’s manual). Not very pleasant when travelling on Interstate 80 with very little shoulder room. We managed to get it “fixed” at the GM dealer on Friday afternoon. We got 50 miles of that “repair” and the same problem occurred again. Next was the GM dealer in Atlantic (Iowa) on Saturday morning. “Fixed again they said”. That was good for another 50 miles. The same problem came up. Monday morning, I am in Council Bluffs (Iowa) to get it fixed again. This time everything is okay and we make it to Gretna (Nebraska). The next morning we noticed that one of our fifth wheel tires only has 18 pounds in it (thanks for Doran TPMS). We get it fixed.
So now we’re only two days behind. No problem, we can make up the time by skipping one of our scheduled visits.
Then it happens! In Colorado, we must stop for fuel in Vail. Bad move! The fuel station is small with little room to manoeuvre and bang, I sideswiped a parked vehicle. Not much damage to that vehicle but their front bumper catches the rear end of the fifth wheel and rips the back panel. The back window is intact but the panel is ripped at about the middle on the left side. Also the left fender and “fender skirt” are damaged. The unit cannot be driven as is. The service station operator assists me in securing the back panel so that it does not break away from the unit. Fortunately, all the back lights are working. My plan is to drive back home (Ottawa, Ontario – 1750 miles) and get it fixed there.
Then, as I am stopped in Utica, Illinois and will be in the Elkhart area tomorrow, I wonder if it would not be preferable to get the unit fixed by someone familiar with the overall design (frame, etc).
Can I take it to the factory for repair or to someone in the area that are as knowledgeable? If so, who would that be?
Sorry for being so mouthy. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You can contact RV Captiol Service Center in Elkhart. They fixed my body damage from a blowout (China Bombs) and did an excellent job. RV Capitol is also an authorized Heartland Warranty Center. I don't have their phone number but you can call Heartland Customer Service and they can give you their number. RV Capitol also has some campsites where you can stay in your RV right at their place.

kkamshop

Bob RV Capital in Elkart 1-866-970-0120 ask for Rhonda.They do alot of Heartland repair.I highly recommend them.I was in there shop last week and they were replacing a rear cap then. Hope this helps Kenny.

SmokeyBare

Jim gave you good advice Bob...

RV Capital Phone Numbers Local (574) - 970 - 0120

Toll Free (866) 970 - 0120

Theiraddress is :

RV Capital Service Center
2975 County Road 20
Elkhart Indiana 46517

Email : http://www.rvcapitalservicecenter.com

Ask for: Randy

They are very good at any type of Repairs to most any RV. All the employee's have worked in several of the RV Companies. They've built them and they know how to fix them.

Good Luck with your trip back to Elkhart and back home Ottawa Ontario Canada;

gdog

gdog
Sorry to hear of the incidents. Out of curiosity, what was the issue causing the truck to faulter?
gdog

brunsje

RV Capital....you won't be sorry you stopped! They even let you "camp" in their lot if the repairs take longer than 1 day! It may be over 100miles from BG but I'll take my unit back if I need a repair!

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
Sorry to hear of the incidents. Out of curiosity, what was the issue causing the truck to faulter?
gdog

All codes indicated a cleaning of the DPF was required. The first dealer said they did the "clean up procedure".

The second dealer reported similar codes to the first time. They indicated that while the first dealer cleaned the DPF they did not complete the regeneration process.

The third dealer had similar codes and indicated the process is to clean the DPF, do a regeneration and then, reprogram the PCM. They claimed the second dealer did not complete the third step.

caissiel

No wonder GM is going under, its not the product it's the service. And we have to do the waiting and do the change of plans. Bad service not only effect the truck it affects everyone.