Another lesson learned

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Had a storm blow through the nasty finger of Michigan last night. Took out the power for about 7 hours. No biggie, the Progressive EMC tripped off the system when the power started to fluctuate, the fridge automatically went to propane and the battery had plenty of power for selective lighting, and I've got a couple of battery lanterns, too. Open all the windows and got a decent breeze, after the storm passed. But...we're hooked to city water and with no power to the CG...no water to flush the commode :(. Being the bright light that I am, I figured some time ago that since we didn't use the fresh water tank, I should keep it empty. Light now goes off in head... From now on, I'll keep 10 or so gallons in it so I can use the pump to flush when we lose power. Ain't nothing unhappier than a DW who can't flush the commode when she wants. My suggestion to use some of our supply of water bottles almost got one turned into a suppository :eek:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ain't nothing unhappier than a DW who can't flush the commode when she wants. My suggestion to use some of our supply of water bottles almost got one turned into a suppository :eek:
At least those sewer trout will have somewhere to go!:eek::D Sorry, I couldn't help it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We will always keep our fresh water tank at 1/3 just in case. Also lets you stop along the way for those emergencies. You never know. Two weeks ago when our old truck gave up we ended up sitting on the side of the road for 6 hours in 100 degree heat. Sure are glad we had some water in the tank. I hate to go to the bushes (poison ivy, alligators and snakes) to take care of business. LOL

HappyKayakers

It's always a good idea to keep some fresh water in the tank. You never know when a plumbing line in the park or campground is going to need repair and require a total water shutoff.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yep - always travel with a couple of gallons of h20. Most of the time we use a couple of milk jugs. That way DW doesn't have to worry about the pump not working.
Nat

JohnDar

Yep - always travel with a couple of gallons of h20. Most of the time we use a couple of milk jugs. That way DW doesn't have to worry about the pump not working.
Nat

Suppose I could keep that 5 gal. jerry can in the basement filled, too, just in case. Since we're parked for the summer season, it's not like we'll be hauling it anywhere. As for the water tank, I can drain it into the sewer via the Drain King fitting, using a section of clear tubing I rigged up previously.

Delaine and Lindy

We alway pump fresh water once we get to our destination. We do travel with enough water to flush the John. We also use bottled water even though we have the whole house water filteration sytem and change the water filters every 90 days. You can survive without shore power as long as you tow veh has fuel and you have fresh water. Good Luck. GBY...

ChopperBill

Had a storm blow through the nasty finger of Michigan last night. Took out the power for about 7 hours. No biggie, the Progressive EMC tripped off the system when the power started to fluctuate, the fridge automatically went to propane and the battery had plenty of power for selective lighting, and I've got a couple of battery lanterns, too. Open all the windows and got a decent breeze, after the storm passed. But...we're hooked to city water and with no power to the CG...no water to flush the commode :(. Being the bright light that I am, I figured some time ago that since we didn't use the fresh water tank, I should keep it empty. Light now goes off in head... From now on, I'll keep 10 or so gallons in it so I can use the pump to flush when we lose power. Ain't nothing unhappier than a DW who can't flush the commode when she wants. My suggestion to use some of our supply of water bottles almost got one turned into a suppository :eek:
Depending how level you are it most generally will take more than 10 gals. to get the pump to pick it up.

caissiel

I always have water from spring taw to fall winterizing. I try to use it to, so the water can cycle. We never drink the water from the tank but I guess we could since I have the best well in the area, we always fill jugs of water and keep them handy for travel. Its good to have the pump run, as you never know when it will be needed. The otherday I went to the beach and I could not find a campground at all, well one campground allowed us to park in the overflow field, so I went and parked the truck, only to realize that the field was so wet that I just stoped when the trailer started to cut the grass. There I was parked for 4 days and the trailer could not be moved. Well I noticed my water tank was very low, I had to haul water for 4 days to keep washed hmmmm.

SilverRhino

Good to the Last Drop

Depending how level you are it most generally will take more than 10 gals. to get the pump to pick it up.

If this is the case........seems it would be a simple solution to mount the tank at a slight angle......pump pickup at the lowest end!

ChopperBill

That means that almost 15% of your water tank is useless. Just where is the pickup for the water from the tank?
The pump pick up is on the left side of the tank about a 1/2 from the bottom. If you are parked slightly with the right side down hill that means there is going to be a lot of water in the tank before the pump will pick it up. I have taken on, at times, at least 20 gallons even after the water heater is full before the pump will work. I "shimmed" the right side of the tank up almost 2 inches so that the pump pick up is always down hill. I did a post "water tank 101" a while back. Sloppy drawing but you may get the idea. Tank post

SilverRhino

Simple Works

retired4fun;

Your fix on the H2O tank looks very simple....yet effective!

It would be so easy for a modification like yours to be made to the tank mounting frame, at the factory. Little fixes like this would make an already great product even better:)

JohnDar

retired4fun;

Your fix on the H2O tank looks very simple....yet effective!

It would be so easy for a modification like yours to be made to the tank mounting frame, at the factory. Little fixes like this would make an already great product even better:)

Something like molding the plastic tank with a sump and putting the pump pickup at the bottom of it.