Sometimes Chicken, Sometimes Feathers

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Jim & Sheila,

Carol and I have added you to our prayer list. With all of the Heartland framily praying for you, I know it will work out for the best.

Keep your spirits high and remember you have a ton of folks out here willing to do any thing to help. All you have to do is ask.

Keith

jnbhobe

Jim & Shiela ; We will keep you in our prayers, Keep a positive additude. God Bless You. Patti & Jon

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Jim and Shiela,You are in our prayer,sure you will feel better after God Bless Rich and Blanca

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We too will keep you in our prayers. Sounds like it is time for a Heartland family group hug. Everybody bring it in.

DMitch

Jim, just had some major surgery myself so I know what your going through. Our best thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We wish you a speedy recovery, keep positive thoughts.

All the best,

jimtoo

Jim & Sheila,

Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

We are here if you need us.

Jim and Bette

Cheryl

My prayers will be with you too. A teacher that works at the same school as me went through major surgery for cancer a year and a half ago. She said one thing that helped was being able to communicate with others through the internet. Her family, friends, and co-workers were able to be very supportive to her without exhausting her, especially during the chemo stage. You need to draw strength through others however you can and that includes all of us here.

P.S. Happy ending for her - she actively participated in our Cancer Walk and the end of the school year. I hope for the same for you.

imchud

This is probably not the place for this but I needed to let my Heartland friends know. Yesterday I had an Upper GI Endoscope. The doctor came back with the news that he found a tumor at the lower end of the Esophagus where it joins the stomach. He said he took a biopsy and would know if it is cancer in a couple of days. He advised me I would need major surgery to remove the tumor and said that surgery would require at least a week in the hospital (YIKES). He is currently working on finding a Thoracic Surgeon to take care of the problem. So that is all we know right now. I just wanted to let my Heartland friends know if they are into prayers we could sure use some now. All I can do is deal with the hand I have and put it in the Good Lord's hands. Thank you in advance for your prayers and thoughts and if I disappear for awhile you will know why. My doctor said this needs to be taken care of right away. Incidentally, now I know why I have been having trouble swallowing.

Our thoughts and prayers are also with you, speedy recovery...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is the latest update. I just came back from my doctor and the results of the biopsy are in and the tumor is malignant. So now I am in the process of getting the referral (HMO Blue required) for the Thoracic Surgeon. I am working on one who practices at M.D.Anderson and am waiting for their call back for an appointment time. The good thing in all of this is the Cancer is so far localized to the Esophagus and the tumor is small. So we shall see. Thanks for all the prayers, and keep them coming, I will beat this. God Bless yall.

talley

Jim, hopefully you will be able to go to M.D. Anderson. Not only are the medical staff and treatment the best, but support services and family resources at the facility are top notch.

Jerry

jmgratz

Good news. I have my first appointment with Dr. Stephen Swisher on Tues, 9-1-09 9am at M.D Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. I am looking forward to finding out how we will deal with this. I will keep yall posted. Remember knowledge is power so keeping informed is good. BTW if any of yall have acid reflux get it treated as that is a big risk factor for Esophageal Cancer.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,

As stated before our prayers are with you. I also want to thank your for the info on the acid reflux/Esophegeal Cancer ralationship. Even though neither Judy or I have acid reflux I am sure your info will help or educate some one.

God Bless

Chuck Richard

Please take care and let us all know when you can what is happening. We look forward to hearing from you and will think of you and send prayers every day. Chuck just found out that he has two hernias in his esophagus so it must be the season for esophagus problems.

Chuck and Deb Richard

jmgratz

Please take care and let us all know when you can what is happening. We look forward to hearing from you and will think of you and send prayers every day. Chuck just found out that he has two hernias in his esophagus so it must be the season for esophagus problems.

Chuck and Deb Richard

The gastroenterology doctor who found my cancer told me Esophageal Cancer is not all that common but he has found 3 cases in just the last month. He did tell me it is on the increase. Barretts syndrome, acid reflux, smoking, and excessive alcohol use are all believed to be contributing factors. Acid reflux causes damage to the esophageal walls which could lead to cancer. Get your reflux taken care of. Acid reflux is not that big of a deal until you ignore it. :eek: