Sometimes Chicken, Sometimes Feathers

hcriddle

Jim,

If you are going to be in town for long or for a Sunday, I pastor a church in northwest Houston. You can check us out at harvesthoustonnw.org. Come by and say hello if you are around. Please know that I am praying for you as well and have been since the beginning. Let Sheila know she is being lifted up also and let me know if you need anything while you are here. I would be glad to bring you wahtever you need.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
And Jim, as so many others have said, all you have to do to get anything you need is pick up the phone. We will be glad to help you in any way we can.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi Jim,
My DW Debbi and I wish you the very best in your fight against cancer. You were one of the first friends to support me 10 days ago when I endured painful but thank god cancer free complicated back surgery. You are a good man and I am sure will get the finest treatment available to deal with this horrible disease and win out in the end. Thanks again for your support, now get tough and win this battle that can be won. You are in our prayers.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is the latest....
I went to my Thoracic Surgeon yesterday. He is the doctor in charge of the treatment. I am going to M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston. Dr. Swisher told me that, after looking at all of the tests I have had so far my cancer is a stage 3 cancer (out of 4 stages). He said it probably has gotton into the lymph system but cannot be sure without further tests. He recommends Chemo and Radiation for 5 weeks, 5 days a week. After that a 2-4 week rest while follow-up tests are done. Then surgery to remove the tumor and about half the stomach. Today I had a Pulmonary function test and a Pet Scan. The Pulmonary function test was great. I will know the results of the Pet Scan next week. Tomorrow I will have an EGD and an EUS tests finding out the results of those next week also. I will be seeing the Radiation Oncology doctor on the 17th. So it looks like we will move the RV to Lakeside RV Park in Houston when I am doing the Radiation and Chemo. I will beat this but it looks like it will take some time. Will keep yall posted. BTW, thank you for all the prayers. Keep them coming as we know God does listen. God Loves Us All.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Jim,

It was great to speak with you today and thank you for updating the gang. Know that all of us are pulling for you and a good many praying as well. Peace and comfort to you and Sheila during this time.

Your pal,

Jim

fljlcw

from what I hear you are in good hands at MD anderson and with god doing the guiding you cant lose will keep you all in prayer Fred& Trish

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Jim:
I have not been on the forum that much, lately, and just stumbled across this thread. I am sorry to hear of your illness, but you definitely can beat this, a friend of ours had stage 4 throat cancer diagnosed last December. He was just declared cancer free the 7th of July. You will be in our prayers for a similar outcome.
If you are staying at the Lakeside RV park in Kemah, it was purchased by the one next door and consolidated, very nice place. Elizabeth and I are staying here, if you or Sheila need anything at all, just let us know.
Fred and Elizabeth

OwensMom

Jim, I just joined the Forum so you don't know me. I was a nurse on a surgical floor that took care of thoracic surgical patients. The single most important factor in a successful recovery(beside a good doc and care) is the patients attitude toward the surgery. Keep positive, lean on the strenght of your friends(it seems that you have quite a few) and listen to you doc and nurses. This is a challenge but You sound like you can do it. Remember that God never gives us more than we can handle. Hang tough. Best wishes, Lynn

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim and Sheila...If there is any couple out there that can get thru this it's you guys! If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know. We are starting out way back to Texas and will be in Ft. Worth October 1st....

After all those years as a cop, Jim...this is just one more hurdle that we know you can handle...you're in our prayers and hearts...Ken and Kathy

CrazyScotsman

Jim, as my mother told me in her broad Scottish accent when I was going through Chemo and 2 surgeries for my cancer , " Keep yer pecker ( chin ) up laddie yall be awricht.
Guess what ? I am alright, after getting cut from bottom of my rib cage, to the top of my you know whats and 10 weeks of chemo. I made it through, Dr's thought otherwise.
So Jim keep a positive attitude and keep yer pecker up, you'll be fine pal.
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your DW who it can be just as hard on as it is on the patient.
My DW goes through surgery on Tuesday, she is having 4 seperate surgeries done at the same time. Hopefully she will be able to sleep and breathe properly after them.
She also got told this week, her kidneys are not working properly, she is diabetic, and she has had a heart attack. Nice news for one week.
Anyhoo Jim you'll be fine laddie, take care and leave the nurses alone.
Cheers Ken & Elaine

jmgratz

Jim, as my mother told me in her broad Scottish accent when I was going through Chemo and 2 surgeries for my cancer , " Keep yer pecker ( chin ) up laddie yall be awricht.
Guess what ? I am alright, after getting cut from bottom of my rib cage, to the top of my you know whats and 10 weeks of chemo. I made it through, Dr's thought otherwise.
So Jim keep a positive attitude and keep yer pecker up, you'll be fine pal.
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your DW who it can be just as hard on as it is on the patient.
My DW goes through surgery on Tuesday, she is having 4 seperate surgeries done at the same time. Hopefully she will be able to sleep and breathe properly after them.
She also got told this week, her kidneys are not working properly, she is diabetic, and she has had a heart attack. Nice news for one week.
Anyhoo Jim you'll be fine laddie, take care and leave the nurses alone.
Cheers Ken & Elaine

Sorry to hear about your wife's problem. God does not give us more than we can handle. Remember the Bible says that Jesus paid for our illnesses and sicknesses with his stripes. I believe that and claim the healing. Have her claim the healing too. It's the devil that does not want us well. God bless and tell Elaine to hang in there. We will pray for her too.
Jim

PS we got the "Official" staging today as T3 N0 which means stage 3 cancer but it hasn't spread.

jmgratz

The Lakeside RV Park we will be staying at is at Hiram Clark and S Main in Houston. It is only 8 minutes from the Medical Center and they provide a shuttle too. There are many medical center patients who stay there as they even have RV's and cabins you can rent there.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim, thats a nice park. We stayed there a couple of years ago.

We'll be back in Houston in October, and will come by to visit you.Hang in there buddy, we're all praying for you/

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim, thats a nice park. We stayed there a couple of years ago.

We'll be back in Houston in October, and will come by to visit you.Hang in there buddy, we're all praying for you/

Yeah, that goes for us too. We'll be headed to Houston after the 1st of October...know Lakeside RV Park well, stay there whenever we're working in Houston. The fountain in the lake is very calming...we'll see you and Sheila when we get into that area. Just know that everyone, even those you don't know, are sending their prayers...see you soon.

Paul & Nan

Jim, we met you and you wife at the Escapees rally--have "known" you thru the forum. Praying for your swift and complete recovery. Keep the faith. R
emember the Livingston Escapees park also, they furnish transport to Houston if you need to relocate the RV. Paul and Nan

jmgratz

Jim, we met you and you wife at the Escapees rally--have "known" you thru the forum. Praying for your swift and complete recovery. Keep the faith. R
emember the Livingston Escapees park also, they furnish transport to Houston if you need to relocate the RV. Paul and Nan

Thanks for the info...we will keep that in mind.

jmgratz

UPDATE: This past Thursday the 17th I met the Chemo Oncology doctor. I was advised they could not start Chemo until I have another biopsy. It seems that when I had the Pet Scan they found a Lymph Node near the heart aorta in the upper chest which is enlarged. Although they did not see any cancer cells in the scan this node is some distance from the tumor and is a cause for concern. So before any treatment can start they need to check out that node. So I will have the biopsy (they do a CT scan to guide a needle through the chest to the node and obtain the tissue sample for the biopsy.) If the results show cancer the treatment will begin with 6 weeks of high dosage chemo followed by 6 weeks of low dosage chemo/radiation followed by surgery. It no cancer is found in the node then treatment will be low dosage chemo/radiation followed by surgery. So now it is a wait to see biopsy results. That is the latest news. God Bless eveyone and thank you for the prayers. God does hear you.

CrazyScotsman

Hope everything makes a turn for the best Jim. I know how that chemo can be, I had 2 surgeries then 10 weeks of chemo, one drug they used on me once a week, they put me to sleep, for 24 hours while administering the drug, so all in all I have 10 days missing from my life, but thats OK I am still here to bug folks. :)
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your DW.
As mum say's, " Keep yer pecker up son ".

Cheers Ken