Added an Exterior Light

2010augusta

Since, I do quite a bit of outdoor cooking/grilling after dark, I wanted a extra light that I could move around a bit to light up the area around the picnic table, but each site has the table in a different location, so my solution was to get an oval porch light with a switch and then wire it up with extra wire. I well go back later and add a lot longer length of two strand wire, but for now this works nicely.

Attachments

• DSCN6432.JPG
    DSCN6432.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN6433.JPG
    DSCN6433.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN6434.JPG
    DSCN6434.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 189

jbeletti

Nice mod Alan. I like the ingenuity of using the suction cups for this temporary work light. Consider adding a 12 volt receptacle near that buss bar for easy plug/unplug and you can use it in the truck or elsewhere too :)

2010augusta

Good idea Jim, I have a spare outlet that I have not found use for yet, and it might get used for that. thanks

jbeletti

Alan,

If you use a heavy-duty receptacle and tie it into the bus with a heavy matching fuse with decent power and ground leads, that could be a pretty handy power receptacle. Maybe use it when boon docking to power a tiny inverter to run the laptop AC adapter. Or who knows what. Maybe a small water pump to pump water from a bladder into your tank. Just ideas for the idea man.

grizzlygiant

It appears from your picture that there is no fuse in the small guage wire you are using for the light. If you have a short in those wires the heavy duty circuit breaker you have connected to probably will not break before the wires become red hot.

2010augusta

Alan,

Just ideas for the idea man.

Jim is that a new nick-name for me?:rolleyes:

I went out yesterday and bought a 8' 12 accessory plug and made a hole for the outlet, I will probably bet it wired up later today.

I might try and find a weather-proof 12volt outlet and install another one on/under the main door side slide, so I can use the light behind the door for sites with the table towards the rear.

Thanks for the ideas all

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Good ideas. How about posting some picyures of the receptacle when you get it installed. I have always missed having an outside receptacle on my Landmark. I would like to have one on the door side near the wheel well to plug my awning lights into.I always run a drop cord to the main power box.I don't guess the job would not be to diffcult. I will have to think on it.

2010augusta

Updated!!

So I took most of y'all advise and install a 12 outlet on the side of the compartment. Ran 12 gauge wire and a fuse holder all rated for 30amps. I rewired the lamp with an 8' 12volt plug, so now I can use the extra light in an 8' radius of any 12 volt outlet. Thanks for the advise.

Attachments

• DSCN6493.JPG
    DSCN6493.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN6494.JPG
    DSCN6494.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN6495.JPG
    DSCN6495.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 173

imchud

So I took most of y'all advise and install a 12 outlet on the side of the compartment. Ran 12 gauge wire and a fuse holder all rated for 30amps. I rewired the lamp with an 8' 12volt plug, so now I can use the extra light in an 8' radius of any 12 volt outlet. Thanks for the advise.

ALAN!!!!! Is that "saw dust" i'm looking at:eek:.... Please tell me it aint so;).

Nice Mod....

jimtoo

NAW!!!! That can't be sawdust,,,maybe a few chips from where he "DRILLED" the hole and he has not had the chance to clean it up yet.... he was to interested in getting the pictures posted to help everyone else make the mod... He is is in TEXAS, and we support one another....

Jim M

2010augusta

Jim is correct, When I finished my DW was asleep, getting ready for the first of her last three night shifts:). I will vacuum them up this morning before she goes to bed.