Air conditioner, blocking heated air from escapeing

rick_debbie_gallant

How does a person block the rising heated air from the furnace from escaping from the rather large hole in the roof mounted air? (I hate adding any more hot air into, well, the air. I dont want to cause anymore global warming than I have to.) I am serious about the air going through the roof via the air conditioner.

jimtoo

Hi rick,

The a/c grille work is not open to the outside. Your a/c just recirculates the air in the trailer, so your heated air does not go outside.

Jim M

rick_debbie_gallant

Hey Jim:

Thanks. But I can see a lots of light through the roof/air unit. I know most air units are dometic or is it coleman. I have the carrier brand of air. So I should be okay?

Ric

jimtoo

Rick, Something must not be sealed correctly, because as far as I know (which some people say is not to far) all the rv a/c's just recirculate the inside air. If you can see light coming in, then I would suggest you remove grille and find out where it is coming from. If it is open to the outside, then you would be loosing a/c cool air also.

Jim M

grizzlygiant

Jimtoo is right on. One possible exception---does your ac have a selector for "outside air"? If so, you may be able to see daylight if the selector in in the "outside air" position.

Northern Virginia
Ric,
I installed a 13.5k Carrier in the bedroom of my Landmark so I know a little (and I mean a little:)) about the units. But I can tell you the plastic roof shroud has vents to the outside that will allow light in (as in under the main shroud but the internal unit is sealed from the outside). Under the shroud is another translucent plastic dome that is sealed but will allow sunlight to illuminate it from the inside.

Now, there is a foam gasket that seals the a/c unit to the roof. If light is coming in through the seal in the gasket, that is a big problem as your unit is not secured and could blow off. However, if you are only seeing the suns glow through the translucent plastic, it is nothng to worry about.

Like others have said, the unit is sealed from outside air so no heat should be leaving the coach through the a/c unit.

John

rick_debbie_gallant

Thanks John and Gary and Jim. I took the panel off the bottom of the air unit and looked inside. The light I saw was in fact coming through outside shroud, and is in fact sealed to the outside air.... I Think when I put the cover over the a/c when I am in the colder months in Texas I will be okey. If I put the shroud on that is.