anybody have a 2010 bighorn 3610RE???

welder222

If anybody has a 3610RE can you please tell me what you use as a tow vehicle? I want to buy this coach but not sure what to tow with. I'm a little worried about the 16,000 GVWR of the coach. Please help, Thanks!!!

2010augusta

We have an August and its scale weight is just about 16,500# and we tow with a 2006 F-450. It handles it great, I would recommend at least a DRW one-ton.

Drew

I would agree with Augusta. We have a 3600RL thats 16,040. We tow it with a Dodge 3500 DRW.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too have a 3600RL and tow it with a Kodiak C4500...some say overkill...we feel it gives us a safety margin...JMHO.

Drew

I believe in overkill when it comes to towing. I'm going to put 19.5 wheels and load range f tires on my Dodge.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One Ton for sure, I would go for the dually. Welcome to the Heartland Forum. The 3610RE is a very nice floor plan.

DMitch

We tow a 2010 3850RL BH with the truck shown in my signature. Plenty of power and the weight isn't a problem. I have found that in a real hard stop, it's a little lite on brakes. I am in the process of upgradeing front rotor, pads and calipers.

Have a good time deciding on the coach and truck, the 3610 is a really nice floor plan.

All the best,

welder222

Thanks for all the info everybody! I'm going to travel the states with the wife and kids full time for three years soon. We're all pretty excited, and trying to get as much input as possible from the experts.

We already have the coach picked out, but having trouble deciding on the truck. For sure I'm at least getting a one ton dually diesel, but thinking about a F450. The 3500 and the F350 barley make or just miss the mark when it comes to pulling 16,000 GVWR.

The salesman who's selling me the coach said a 3500 diesel dually will do the job and not to worry. I just wanted to here from the people who are actually doing it!!!

Once again I thank you all, and I hope to join you soon!!!

dudley43

We have a 2011 3610 and tow with our new 2011 Ford F350 SRW. The new Ford built 6.7 diesel is great! 400 HP and 800 ft. lbs. torque. No end to the power! You don't even know the 3610 is behind you.

danemayer

We're pulling a 2011 Rushmore (Landmark RE model) with a 2011 GMC 3500 Diesel, CrewCab, Long Bed, 4WD, Single Rear Wheel.
Pulls very well - I often have to remind myself I'm towing. Very stable on the road. No problem in moderate crosswind.

If you get a Ford, you may want to search for recent posts about Ford rear-end height of some configurations creating some challenges.
If you look at a Dodge 3500 SRW, check the payload before buying. 2010 3500 SRW had a very poor max payload - around 2700 lbs if I remember correctly.

sbowman3

That is the same model I intend to buy, except the 2011. Love the layout. I have a 2005 F250 King Ranch Diesel and am hoping I have enough truck.

arcweldr76

I do not have the 3610, but I do have the 3600 re so, I can tell you from personal experience about your upcoming purchase. I picked up my new ,order specific,2010 in Elkhart IN April of 2009. I STRONGLY reccomend that you re-think purchasing a Heartland product. I love the lay-out of mine but the quality is just not there. Structurally I suppose it is sound and it tracks/tows well but I personally have had entirely too many issues with the plumbing, electrical etc. for a coach at that particular price point. My ac/dc converter was mounted directly benieth the toilet with absolutely no access panel, guess what happens when a pex pipe fitting fails on a summer afternoon ??? The leak will fry the poorly placed converter. I have honestly learned to laugh at the new and ingenious ways my water supply system finds ways to fail on me at the most inconvenient times. I have literally had to fix hundreds of leaks, fixtures, etc. Good luck

danemayer

I have literally had to fix hundreds of leaks, fixtures, etc.

For what it's worth, if I'd found a bunch of loose/leaking pex connections in the 1st year, I think I would have asked Heartland to have every connection in the rig redone on a proactive basis.

If I got through the 1st year and then started having hundreds of failures, I'd wonder if they might have been caused by something other than poor manufacturing quality, like excessive water pressure.

The Ford Super Duty 250 with the 10,000 lb GVW pkg makes it a 350. If you get the 4X4 off road pkg you get a lot of options for towing such as extra braking for down hill stiffer shocks and several other things for towing. My 3610 set the rear of the truck down more than I liked so I added Air Lift bags and level it up. The bags make all the difference in the world in the ride towing or not as it is a stiff ride wthout them if the trailer is not hitched. The best feature on the Ford is the built in antisway. Bwinds don't phase the unit. You cly relax when driving. The 6.7 engine and 6 speed trans just speaks for itsself and I'm getting 10.5 to 11.5 towing. I love it and mine is single rear wheels. I would definitly reccomend 4 wheel drive by experience.

caissiel

My F250 was unstable with only one additional short ply on the springs but had great ride. I added an additional long ply to back up the main ply and the truck now is very stable.
I keep 75psi air in the rear tires all the time and I get great comments from passengers. My friend with a 2500 2wd GM tells me my truck rides better then his empty. Its in the ply designs that the spring shop has installed, the extras only load when truck drops so 2in drop on the rear with a load is just right for me.
I feel that the springs on the F250/350 SRW are to soft for 5th wheel loading compared to my previous 98 GM2500. But the truck is a great performer once set up properly.
This my experience after towing heavy 5th for 15 years with 3/4 ton trucks.