mud flaps for truck

4ever

I notice when pulling my fiver I get a lot of dirt and road grit on the lower portion of my fiver. I have seen some trucks with the mud flaps the mount into the reciver hitch of the truck. Would like to hear from any of you that have them. Do they work well, do they fit good or are tey sloppy, cause any other problems, etc.

Thanks,

Ted

SmokeyBare

Ted,

I know this isn't what your asking but I thought some others might get an idea from the photos.

We have a Chevy dully and I was troubled by how costly mud flaps are... as well as the problem Ted posted, with our last 2500HD Chevy I was always getting splatter on the front of our BigHorn. With those issues I was able to locate a pair of Black plastic type of mud flaps at a Truck parts store. They cost $32.00 for the pair... and I was able to use Only the holes and bolts that Chevy put on the Truck for mounting. I didn't drill any holes in the body of the truck... only matching holes to the location to the existing bolts. Used a jig saw to cut the flap once I made a template out of cardboard. The aluminum strap I put on the inside was my attempt to prevent it from sailing too badly... I don't notice any of that problem.

Attachments

• IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    607.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3427.jpg
    IMG_3427.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 64

truknutt

Committed Member
Enkay makes the "ROCK TAMERS".

Roadmaster makes the "ROADWING".

I have the RoadWing system and while they serve their purpose, I think if I had to do it over again, I would opt for the Rock Tamers and their adjustment flexability.

I use the RoadWings on my SRW F-250 (with Air-Lift system installed) when towing an open car trailer or a boat trailer to protect the cargo. Without the Air-Lift, the truck's tail would sag and the flaps would drag on the pavement (they are supposed to ride 1" above the ground).

On a truck without an adjustable rear suspension (Air-lift or Ride-Rites) the ROCK TAMERs are easily adjusted for optimal ride height for your truck's butt-end.

A side note: Both of these systems require a ball mount to bolt to AND then that gets inserted into the receiver hitch.

Hope this helps.

Delaine and Lindy

Dura Flaps........

I have had several DRW's and SRW. I also had the type that mounted on the receiver hitch and really didn't like them and gave them away. I finally ran across the best and most professional mud flaps on the market. I just order a set for my Chevy 1500 but just bought the standard set front and rear. Mounted very easy and no drilling. The ones I run on the Freightliner have the stainless steel logo's I would highly recomend the Dura Flaps. They are pricey but will last and are made out of the best material. GBY.....

www.duraflap.com

rjr6150

We use the Rock Tamers and found the front of the 5th much cleaner. Would recommend them.

2010augusta

Here are the flaps we have for our truck. They are a very sturdy rubber with a diamond plate panel bolted to them. We get very little spray back and they look like they belong on the truck, not like a afterthought.

2949791.jpg

sunriverman

mud flaps

I copied the commercial ones and ended up spending less than $30 for steel. I went the local steel/fabricator yard and picked up a short piece of tubing that slides over the shank on your trailer ball stinger. I put a 1/2" set screw and nut on the side to tighten it to the stinger. I then welded a piece of 2" square tube as wide as the tires. I then drilled eight holes in the tubiing. For the flaps I used bed liner from a previous pickup.Works well as I too have a fifth wheel and does save lots of small rock chips and dings. Be glad to email a photo.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
a string

take a string, put it at the bottom of the tire where it meets the road and then pull it tight and lift it till it touches the bumper bottom and continue it to the 5er and you will find out why we use guards that are attached to the bumper itself, that is the path the rocks take. The rocks off the bottom of the tires do the damage. It is best to get a brush guard.