#@$%^@ Lug Nuts or Covers

SilverRhino

Getting ready to leave town for a couple of weeks tomorrow......went to check the lug nuts on the BC.......can't get the covers off the nuts!!

I have the aluminum wheels and if memory serves me they do have covers over the lug nuts.......right??

Well if thats the case.......how do you get them off??? Tried channel locks......one seems to be loose, but still can't get it off.

Pleas HELP!

jnbhobe

I have a Bighorn with aluminum wheels, no covers on the lugs.7/8th socket if you have 9/16th studs. Jon

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
The lug nuts are wrapped in chrome covers, on our BH 3580RL, but a 7/8th socket fits the cover and will take the nut off with the cover intact. Hope this helps, God Bless ya, Al W

2010augusta

Randy, I believe you are speaking of the "chrome caps" on each lug nut. Right??? Those caps are not suppose to come off, but when they do you have a problem. As long as the caps are tight they are okay to tighten. If the cap is lose then remove the lug nut and replace it. I am always in favor of removing the cheap chrome capped nut and replacing them with solid chrome coated nuts, but the cost to do so would be about $32-64, but much less then the cost of cutting off a aluminum wheel when one cap comes off and the the nut decides to round off. It happened to my Jeep while on the trail and I had to drive back to a paved road on the rim, call a tow truck, and pay a shop to get the now ruined wheel off, so I could put on a spare and drive home. No fun. Good nuts are worth the cost.:p

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Our Cyclone has the covers on the nuts. The covers failed while the dealer was trying to remove the tires to check the blown hub seals. The lugs were replaced, as well as the rim (collateral damage) by Heartland. Be careful.

tmcran

Be very careful removing the lug nuts with the covers on them . I hit a tall curb and it damaged one of the covers. I could not get the lug wrench on it and had to cut it off with a hacksaw and chisel. PITA.

SilverRhino

Thanks for all the input!

Alan; I agree with you.......I think the safest and cheapest bet in the long run will be to replace the "covered nuts" with solid.....Thanks

Travel Safe!