Hot water heater "broke"

mwwebb8

Greetings! I am looking for some guidance. First, I am fairly handy. I have a 2010 BC 3550 TSL. Last week the nipple from the hot side of the water heater was leaking. Followed owners manual and attempted to tighten. Unfortunatley, it is a plastic nipple into the steel tank. You guessed it, broke the nipple off flush with the tank. EZ outs do not work on plastic, they just bind. Since I attempted to fix it, (per owners manual) have I voided the warranty? Any suggestions on getting hot water back? The wife is a little peculiar about cold showers in the winter.:D Thanks for any help.

Mark

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mark, use the search feature. Someone had the same problem about a month ago. They either made a tool or bought one that works on plastic.

My Thought was to use the tool used for removing broken PVC pipe nipples from sprinklers. It would work if you have the room to use it. Lowes and Home Depot have them. I would replace it with a brass one and install it with "never seize" or tephlon tape Bob:D

2010augusta

Here is the post on the same topic, good reading. I would not worry about voiding the warranty as Heartland installs the fittings, not part of the water heater. Many people have had issues with the plastic check valve breaking and leaking. including me!

caissiel

I get it that the tank has a female bung on the aluminum tank and a plastic fitting that is broken in the threads. Its a touchy situation to remove the plastic without hurting the aluminum, Drilling is one way to clean out the plastic or heat might melt just the plastic.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark, Bob & Patty have the right idea for the tool to remove the plastic fitting. It is an aluminum t-handled tool about 9" long. It has a red handle and is specifically designed to use with 1/2" plastic nipples and risers on underground sprinkler systems. Just ask in Home D or Lowes.

mwwebb8

i am thinking the tank is steel not aluminum. Thanks so much for the responses and the previous thread. That is EXACTLY what has happened here. I think I will try that sprinkler riser tool. My next option is chipping and in the small confines that just doesn't sound fun. Again, THANKS to all.

Mark

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had the same problem...after HOURS of trying to chip the plastic out, DH did what he thought about first and used a Tap...job was done in about two minutes....:D And yes, the tank is steel.

Moral...go with your first instinct...in this case use a tap, will save you lots of time and headaches.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
To all that replied.. My tank appears to be made of stainless steel. Bob:D

Last edited:

caissiel

I was looking at my tank fittings and My 2009 BC, it has the brass nipples on it, what a relief. Now I will install my accumulator tank on the cold water feed line. Looks like just a 1/2" tee and a close nipple required.