ugly slide outs

thomasinnv

I have a 2010 3300RLB, and my slide outs are ugly. let me explain... the mastic which is used in assembling the slide outs is sticking to the inner wiper seal when the slide out is in the open position. when in the open position, the inner seal rests right against the seam where the mastic is, and it sticks to the wiper seal like gum. then when ever the slide out is ran in or out the mastic smears along the sides making an awful mess. i get this on all 3 slides, and it is frustrating at best. I have cleaned it off a few times (which is not easy at all) but it keeps coming back because i can't get into the space between the slide and the trailer wall to clean the excess out. there appears to be an excess amount of mastic protruding from the seam (if i pull the wiper seal back you can see it. is any one else getting this problem? this can't be normal. the dealer i had it at for other service work told me it was normal and i should just clean it off the outside wall with acetone. sounds kinda scary, putting acetone on fiberglass. and having to clean it off every time i move the slide? i don't think so. i've owned several rv's with slides and never had this problem. what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• slide 1.jpg
    slide 1.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 114
  • slide 2.jpg
    slide 2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 113
  • slide 3.jpg
    slide 3.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 116
  • slide 4.jpg
    slide 4.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 115
  • slide 5.jpg
    slide 5.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 112

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
thomasinnv, I have had that happen. What you are seeing is rope putty that is put on corner pieces to prevent leaks. It gets compressed when the part is put on and never dries. Sticky stuff. Like your dealer said, just clean it off. In your fourth and fifth picture, the problem is visable. Using a plastic scraper, you should be able to clean most of it off the "seam". Try doing this while the slide is in if you can't do it from the outside.

Peace
Dave

boatdoc

I understand about being upset:( ,I would be also!! Don't worry about the acetone trick, every boat and fiberglass shop has gallons of it around and it's one of the best for cleaning F/G. It will, however, strip your wax. You have waxed those sides, right.:D

lhetsler

Goofoff

There is stuff called goof off thats takes it right off. Anyway a well know substance that works really well.

2010augusta

You might try cleaning the stuff the is getting in the seals with the slides in, so you are not trying to work around the seals.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Mine used to do the same thing but quit doing it after numerous slide opening and closings.