Kitty litter box

labbysmom

We will be travelling with our new kitten, Nellee and I'm wondering where the best place would be for her litterbox. I thought the bedroom closet but remembered with the slides in she couldn't access it? I'd appreciate any suggestions from kitty owners.

Thanks
Diane

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Diane,

It would really depend on your Bighorn's layout. We have a 3055RL and fussy cats that like a covered litterbox. We use the area at the desk where the chair belongs. It really depends on the space available in your model.

Deb

labbysmom

Hi Deb
We will have the 3670 which also has the desk and chair room. That might work.
Does the cover type eliminate some of the mess, smell?
I'm pretty fussy myself and change the litter every couple of days. (its a yecky job but someone has to do it!:p)

Thanks
Diane

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Diane, our cats box sit behind the recliners when we are parked. We have two boxes and the other sits near the desk. One thing that we have done, a long time ago, was to go to a product called Feline Pine. It is actually saw dust made into pellets. It has very little dust, does not smell like the clay products, nor does it have the "scented" smell. We scoop daily, and almost never change it. No odors. Very little tracking. Just a food for thought. Our cat does not travel in the Bighorn. He sits on the console between us.

Peace
Dave

labbysmom

Thanks Dave, I'm going to look for that Feline Pine. Probably not available in Canada though. Yes our Phoebee stayed in the truck with us, her bed on the centre console. Nellee will do the same but will no doubt be more active since she'll only be 6 months when we leave!

Diane

bill40

Hi Diane,
Izzy does not like traveling in the truck uless it is real cold. We use a covered box and set it if front of the shower ( just move it when showering). We have not had a problem with odor but after 14 years we might just use to it , guess well have to ask.

caissiel

We had a Lazyboy recliner and once I killed a kitten by leaning back and he was trapped in the rockers.
Its a nice area though I keep my guitars back there because the recliners need to be so far from the wall.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We also have the 3670 and bring our two cats up to the site during the summer. At first, I put the box (smaller covered type with roof cut open) in the bathroom. Didn't take long to figure out that didn't work. The space between the short kitchen counter and the steps fit it perfectly, though. Our central vac port was mounted on the bottom step riser, not the wall, so it was not a factor. We use the Tidy Cat scoopable litter (put in in a coffee can lined with a plastic shopping bag) and toss it with the trash when full. I check the box and scoop it frequently, so there is no odor and the litter has deodorizing agents in it. Their bowls fit nicely under the overhang on the main counter.

The kitchen photo is before it dawned on me to move the box. It goes where the trash can is and the trash can gets placed in front of the cabinet door. Max, the big black Maine (mostly I think) Coon sits on it.

porthole

Retired
Providing we only bring one cat, my plan is to find a box that will fit under the bathroom sink. I ordered an extra cabinet door that I will cut out an entry door for the cat.

This way it will be semi hidden.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey Dave that's the way to travel!

Ours ride in their bed on the console too. We sometimes have a little complaining from them but it only lasts a few minutes and they settle right down. They traveled from the time they were young so I think that makes the difference. They have ridden for 8 to 10 hours without any trouble. Litter box on the floor in the backseat, water in the travel bowl and occasional tuna snacks. Life's Good!

wdk450

What We Used

We brought Lass along on our 2 month trip last summer, and used one of my wife's 10"x18"x8" dialysis fluid boxes with a plastic trash can liner. This fit very well in the bathroom next to the angled wall to the bedroom. It did get cleaned a lot more frequently than the big box at home.

JohnDar

John - love the black cat. Hum - ain't devilish is he???? :)

Max, devilish? Why perish the thought! :rolleyes: That big goof will purposely get into mischief just to get you to chase him. He loves to wrestle, but it becomes a case of "flying jaws 'n' claws," so it takes the skill of a Ninja to play with him sometimes. Then again, if I'm sitting on the recliner watching TV, I get all 17 lbs. of him stretched out on my legs, feet in the air, belly waiting for a gentle stroking. He is a character, always ready to play and he is affectionate. :D

PSF513

Kitty Litter

We have a BC 3550 and in the 2nd bathroom, there is a perfect spot under the small counter. We put the litter in a styrofoam cooler under there and the cat has no issues

labbysmom

I'm glad I asked the question!
John, I like your ideas which might work for us but depends on the vacum positon.
Love your cat and the other one in the photo looks like she has the same colourings as our Nellee.
Is a covered litter box a better way to go?
Dave I found the litter pine and its available in Canada also! Thanks for the tip!

Diane

wdk450

Previous Post

This topic has been discussed before. It is usually helpful to do a search on the topic before posting.
The poster here has a Landmark Augusta, a twin floorplan to the Bighorn 3670 RL.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10652&highlight=litter+box

OwensMom

Diane, We travel with 3 cats and put the litterbox in the shower. I bought a rubber no track rug on the floor of the shower stall so the litter would not get into the grey water tank. Before a shower, we take out the box. vacuume the rug and floor and then wash out the shower floor. No mess and easy cleanup. We wedge the door open so that the box is accessible to cats. You will love traveling with the cats. Ours love the rv and consider the windows "Cat TV". Lynn

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Cat TV - I like it and so does Sox! He can always be found on the back of the couch in his window to the world.

Attachments

• 100_0919.jpg
    100_0919.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1089.jpg
    100_1089.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 41

JohnDar

I'm glad I asked the question!
John, I like your ideas which might work for us but depends on the vacum positon.
Love your cat and the other one in the photo looks like she has the same colourings as our Nellee.
Is a covered litter box a better way to go?
Dave I found the litter pine and its available in Canada also! Thanks for the tip!

Diane

Diane,

The smaller cat, Ally, is a tiger-striped Heinz-57. We adopted her at the same time (same vet) we got Max. The photo is her favorite position at home.
As for the covered litter box, it originally had a small pad filter in the top. Seemed like a good idea in the house, at the time, but I quickly found it was restrictive for the female Maine Coon we adopted after we had it awhile. So I cut it open. Also makes it easier to scoop out.
I've also learned that not all female cats will squat to do their business, thus the high sides help prevent accidents. One of our boxes at home is a large plastic tote that I cut an entry opening in.

John

labbysmom

My apologies to Bill and Deborah and the rest of the forum for starting a thread that had already been discussed.