Air bags with B&W turnover ball hitch

Paul_in_MN

I have a 2002 F350 4X4 crew cab diesel truck with the B&W turnover ball hitch and the Companion 5th wheel hitch in the bed. When I bought the hitch setup, I did not realize the underbed structure would make the addition of airbags difficult or impossible.

From a purely physics standpoint, I believe the airbags mounted directly over the rear leaf spring (outboard of frame) gives the best antisway control plus adjustable lift. I pull a 2010 Eagle Ridge with maybe 2000 lbs of hitch weight on the truck. (I have not weighed this, so that hitch weight is a guess). Anyhow the truck does squat down on its overload spring a few inches, so I wanted to add airbags to allow me to level up while towing. I called B&W for their advice and they recommended the Firestone Ride Rite airbags that are mounted inboard of the frame. I believe this brand and product is quality, but do not like the dynamics of inboard airbags.

So my question to you much more experienced 5th wheelers is what are your experiences with this setup, if you have had any experience with it? Can you notice any difference in sway or other control issues?

As a side note, I did lower the rear of the truck a couple years ago by replacing the 4" riser blocks between axle and spring with the 2" riser blocks from the similar F250 truck. This brought the rear of the truck down by 2" and makes it ride more level, and makes it much easier for me to load stuff in the truck bed. This does not affect the spring travel or limit it in any way. But it will mean the rear axle tube is 2" closer to the frame where the airbags mount (if the lower mount is located on the axle tube). This should not be a difficult problem as Ride Rite probably makes a similar kit for the F250 truck.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Paul_in_MN

trvlrerik

I have an 08 f350 4X4 and have the ride rite bags with the 4" lift blocks. The airbags are just inboard of the factory yellow rubber "stop blocks" (I dont know the real name for these).
I usually do not have to go over 30-35psi to level out the truck, and the ride is great. I may not be a good judge of a great ride as I spend all of my time in 1 ton trucks. I did not notice any real difference in the sway of the truck after the bags were installed, I just chalk that up to having a srw tow vehicle.

Your statement about placement of the bags does make sense, but it looks like the installation would require welding and drilling, maybe it is a B&W limitation on their warranty.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Paul,

We use F-450's now but for at least 3 model years (2004,05, 06) we had F-350's all with B&W turn-over ball hitches and all with Firestone air bag system. Never seemed to have a problem having the air bags installed with the B&W.

We went to the F-450's just so we didn't have to fool with the air bags. There are times when I wish I still had the 350 with air bags, but for the most part I like not having to pump and unpump the air.

Keith

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have the B & W and Firestone airbags and no problems.

Last edited:

PSF513

I also have air bags & a B&W hitch. Mine are on our 2008 F250 which we use to pullour BH 3610. I love them and am very glad I went there.

Bighurt

The firestone will fit without modification.

The Pacbrake setup is considered superior and like you mentioned they mount outside the frame rail.

Their website and their techs will confirm that they can't be properly installed with the B&W hitch. However their tech said with modification to the B&W bracket you can place the Pacbrake mount over the B&W side plate. While holding the two in proper position you need to drill through the B&W plate to mount the Pac brake bracket to the frame (sandwitching the B&W plate between). The tech said you will need longer hardware and significant shim plates to get a safe fit.

The finally piece of data was that Pacbrake and B&W not only do not recommend this installation but it voids both of their warranties. He did say it is a common installation.

I think it would be nice if the two got together and made a single plate, capable of doing both. In fact I intend to do that at some point myself.