Your help needed - TV to BH clearance

2010augusta

to throw more fuel on to fire, the bed on the F-450 we have is 9'2" bed and we still have 17.5" between truck and trailer.

The center of the Hitch is 60" forward of the bumper.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Tom,

Wow - this thread is getting long. Not sure if it's been stated yet, but don't delay your first planned trip out. Remove the tailgate for that trip and have a great time. Keep working on finding a solution of course. Consider also, a v-gate. Used one with my previous truck - loved it.

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Tom...We have an 08' 3600RL, essentially the same unit as yours. We originally had the longer Trailair Pinbox and had no problem hooking up. The unit went back to the factory for a problem and Heartland changed our pinbox out for the shorter model. This was done to help eliminate the extra length which was partially involved in a "flex" problem...too much extension is not good. When we went to pick it up we had the same situation you are now experiencing.

The solution was simple, we opted to use a "V" gate...no more problems. We have absolutely no turning, backing issues and hooking up is actually MUCH easier. We've used this combination for several years now. As long as your rock guard does not stick out past the edge of your bumper on either side, you too should be good to go!!

RollingHome

Re: Problem Solved... I think :) Re: Your help needed - TV to BH clearance

Jim/Ken, Thanks for your input, I can't use a V-Tail because I have a tonneau cover. I also have the optional Chevy locking tailgate. I have the cover and locking gate because I carry things that are good to steal, like a 3000 Watt Honda Generator (I RV [camp] in areas without untilities). I also have other good stealable "stuff" I keep in the bed. We take the TV out to diner, store etc. and this stuff would be enticing to a thief. Them not seeing this good "stuff" is half the battle. I know we can't stop thieves but we don't have to entice them either. I may have a solution and I'm gonna stop posting for a while to see what happens. I just hope it happens fast because April will move fast. Tom

DXprowler

Re: Problem Solved... I think :) Re: Your help needed - TV to BH clearance

Maybe this was mentioned before but perhaps your hitch was mounted too far forward? But with saying that I know with the previous SOB and the new BH, plus with 2 different trucks a SB and a LB, I would have had big problems hitching and unhitching without the V-gate! Good luck with how you resolve it!

RollingHome

Bill, thanks for ur input :) I agree it does appear too far forward... but it's not. The center of my kingpin is about 1 1/2" forward of the center line of my rear axle... it would actually be best IF it were a tad bit more towards the front of my TV. Just the same, thanks for thinking, at least it tells me I did my homework :)