Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8K axle upgrade

1. Print this Post   #1

8K axle upgrade

I have a 2010 Big Horn 3580, need opinions on doing the 8K axle upgrade by Lippert, is it worth the out of pocket upgrade or is it over kill ?? I would basicially be doing it for peace of mind after my spring/u-bolt problem. I would be getting the spring upgrade as well.

Bobby A

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: 8K axle upgrade

As long as the 7,000#axles are in good shape, I would just put the 8,000# spring on the old axles, unless you are upgrading the for the never-lube hubs or disc brakes too.

Depending on the cost I would check out an air-ride option before going out-of-pocket on another set of lippert springs and axles.

Trailer flex suspension.

Keldermen air ride trailer
    Alan, Sandy, and 2 Corgis, Molly and Baxter

3. Print this Post   #3
    Past South Carolina Chapter Leader SouthernNights's Avatar

Another option, if you are going to spend money anyway, would be MorRyde's IS. Eliminates axles, ubolts, springs, equalizers etc.

Several people on this forum have the IS and can give you an honest assesment of the system.
    Larry and Samantha
    Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

http://cloudsandoceans.blogspot.com/

4. Print this Post   #4

Hi Bobby,

We met you at Elkhart Campground last year when we were in Elkhart getting the MorRyde IS upgrade. We went to 8,000 lb equivalent, no lube hubs and disc brakes. Best investment we ever made for piece of mind (next to the Pressure Pro tire monitoring system)! Best wishes on whatever decision you make.

C.J. and J.D.
    C. J. Bearden

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by cjwigley View Post
    Hi Bobby,

We met you at Elkhart Campground last year when we were in Elkhart getting the MorRyde IS upgrade. We went to 8,000 lb equivalent, no lube hubs and disc brakes. Best investment we ever made for piece of mind (next to the Pressure Pro tire monitoring system)! Best wishes on whatever decision you make.

C.J. and J.D.
    Yes I do remember you, thanks for your info, I will consider that option also, if you would'nt mind PM me and give me an idea of what that system might cost. I do need piece of mine.
    Thanks again,
    Bobby A

6. Print this Post   #6

If you have 7,000# axles and 5 leaf springs, that should be good for your trailer if you do not want to spend additional money on it. I believe that 8k axles are more than needed.

If your uncomfortable, I agree about putting Mor/Ryde IS and Disk Brakes on the trailer. Our brakes and hubs are for an 8k system but the trailer is balanced for the weight on each wheel. They adjust it for a specific length of travel also. So they actually don't put in a 7k or 8k system specifically. Each of the parts are added to support the weight of the trailer, so you need to have the trailer loaded as you would normally travel, including a full fresh water tank.

Just an addition bit of information. I have heard that people left a glass with water in it on a cabinet and it never moved when they arrived at their destination. I have not done that because even rolling with uneven surfaces can still cause drawers slide out and such. However the round glass plate in our microwave oven always had to be adjusted because it bounced around. Now we never have had to adjust it, so I know my trailer is riding more smoothly.

FWIW
    BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

7. Print this Post   #7

First, how are you certain the 8K axles will solve your problems and give you the piece of mind you are missing? If I just couldn't live without the piece of mind you seek, I would probably order a new rig to my liking. The inconvenience involved with either of the discussed upgrades and the uncertainty of workmanship during the conversion may become just as great an issue; Although, the 8K upgrade does seem fairly straight forward. Good luck, in either case.

8. Print this Post   #8

Thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions, at the present time I'm still weighing my options and balancing my check book !! (lol)

9. Print this Post   #9

How much is the cost of the upgrade?

10. Print this Post   #10

We just got a price from Mor-Ryde this week to have 7,000 lb IS, Disk brakes and never lube bearings put on our 3670 RL for slightly over $5,000. with the biggest expense for the brakes. If you want 8,000 lb IS add $700. We are going to have the work done when we are back there in Sept.
    Ralph, Pam & Cookie, our spoiled miniature poodle
    2009 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2010 Bighorn 3670RL
    HOC# 1211

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast