Take the $6,000 rebate or wait on 2011?

dalspot

We're looking at purchasing a 3/4 ton pickup in the next year. We had planned to wait until the 2011 models came out but with Ford offering $6,000 in rebates, it makes the 2010 hard to pass up.

We've found a F-250 Extended Cab 4x2 (9600# GVWR) that we like. As this will be a 'daily driver' as much as a TV, we've decided not to go with the extra expense and lower fuel mileage of the 4x4.

However, wanting to purchase a Sundance 3300QS with a hitch weight of 1965, I don't want to be sorry we didn't wait for the 2011 models and their higher payload capacity.

I'm looking for thoughts only on the 2010 F-250 vs the capabilities of the 2011 GM or Ford models.

Please don't tell me to get a 4x4 or go up to a 1-ton, as that is not the advice I am looking for. We have decided on the 3/4 ton 4x2 truck and will downscale our choice in a FW if necessary.

What would you do if faced with these choices?

Thanks.

dalspot

Nope, no urea on the 2010 models. We debated that issue too, but don't really see that as a problem. As little as we'll drive the truck (until we get the FW) one tank of urea will probably last at least a year. 2011 models are supposed to see improved fuel mileage tho that should way outpace the cost of urea.

So, other than the inconvenience and cost of the urea - why wouldn't you want it?

Thanks.

Dave012

You mentioned rebates on the 2010 Ford, but I just wanted to share my truck buying experience. I'm in Canada, so it may be a bit different for you.

When I mentioned to my cousin that I was going to buy a new truck, he referred me to www.carcostcanada.com which will give you pricing information on the particular vehicle you are looking to buy including various options. It will tell you the dealer cost of the vehicle including the options, and then takes into account all of the current rebate programs that Ford has available to you, and its dealers, some of which you don't know about. You also didn't know about the dealer cost. It then tells you how to negotiate a fair price, taking it all into account, and giving the dealer a reasonable markup which I recall was something like 3 to 5%. So the formula is dealer cost, less rebates + 3 to 5%. There are also other payments that Ford may give to the dealer after the sale, which aren't taken into account, but that means you should stick firm with your offer, or try to negotiate something even better. It also provides you with a dealer who will sell it to you for that price (if they have one).

So I was a bit skeptical, but when I went to the dealership to negotiate I told the salesperson I had the carcostcanada report, which I gave to him, and told him what I was willing to pay (this is what they tell you to do). There was a small bit of haggling, but we had a deal within 25 minutes, and I got what I think was a great deal. I suspect there is something similar in the US, which anyone buying a new vehicle should consider using. It was a small fee for the report.

One could potentially get the same great deal without it, but I don't know how I would have without the report. It meant I got a discount of 20% off the MSRP as Ford had great rebates last fall. I missed out on some of the advertised ones as I delayed my purchasing decision, but the next month they were still there, but to the dealer, not to the consumer so they weren't advertised. It will depend on what Ford is offering at the time.

Bottom line, I owe my cousin a big steak, and few beers.

RoadJunkie

If you're going to buy this year, then I would buy the 2010. You probably know that 2011 is a new, ground-up, engine design from Ford and early adopters usually get the brunt of the problems. My 2009 SD pulls like it has towing in it's DNA, and with 7K miles has been trouble-free. You can expect the DPF to regen once per tankful when towing, and about once every 400-600 miles when not towing. Short bed needs a bigger fuel supply, but long bed tank holds more. If you can wait a year or two, then the engine might be proven technology and worth the wait.

dalspot

I've done all the research here in the US, know the dealer invoice and all the option pricing, so should we decide to purchase this truck, I already have a price offer set. I'd like to find the historic rebate info - we've been out of the truck buying market since '02. (We keep our trucks a long time) If I could reasonably think we could get a similar rebate on the '11, I'd wait a year to buy. But I'm wondering if we really *need* that extra 300# load capacity. We're had planned to look at both the Ford and Chevy trucks, with a load capacity of about 3000# compared to the 2700 on the '10.

You mentioned rebates on the 2010 Ford, but I just wanted to share my truck buying experience. I'm in Canada, so it may be a bit different for you.

One could potentially get the same great deal without it, but I don't know how I would have without the report. It meant I got a discount of 20% off the MSRP as Ford had great rebates last fall. I missed out on some of the advertised ones as I delayed my purchasing decision, but the next month they were still there, but to the dealer, not to the consumer so they weren't advertised. It will depend on what Ford is offering at the time.

Bottom line, I owe my cousin a big steak, and few beers.

buckeyebob

i would look at the chevy 2011 specs on payload etc,i would get 4x4 because it gets muddy in some campgrounds etc,also i would buy the diesel for sure.imho. buckeyebob

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I love my 2010 Ford F350, dually, 6.4 L diesel. Wish I could have gotten a $6000 rebate but got the cash for clunkers stuff instead. Personally I would go with the 2010 or wait a couple of years until the new engine is proven. Also I don't like the Urea tank thing.

mdvctry

We're looking at purchasing a 3/4 ton pickup in the next year. We had planned to wait until the 2011 models came out but with Ford offering $6,000 in rebates, it makes the 2010 hard to pass up.

We've found a F-250 Extended Cab 4x2 (9600# GVWR) that we like. As this will be a 'daily driver' as much as a TV, we've decided not to go with the extra expense and lower fuel mileage of the 4x4.

However, wanting to purchase a Sundance 3300QS with a hitch weight of 1965, I don't want to be sorry we didn't wait for the 2011 models and their higher payload capacity.

I'm looking for thoughts only on the 2010 F-250 vs the capabilities of the 2011 GM or Ford models.

Please don't tell me to get a 4x4 or go up to a 1-ton, as that is not the advice I am looking for. We have decided on the 3/4 ton 4x2 truck and will downscale our choice in a FW if necessary.

What would you do if faced with these choices?

Thanks.

Hi I have a 2009 Chev 2500HD Duramax 4x4 with a 9200# GVWR. I am really happy with this vehicle. I am still looking for a TH, but everything I have read says that the 2500HD D/A with Air Bags will tow (please no flames or weight police, that's not the issue) most of the rigs that are discussed on this forum. Back to your question, as I mentioned I'm really happy with my truck. I have a friend with a Ford diesel and he's really envious of my diesel MPG. I get 16.7 regularly in city driving, as its my daily driver and 20-22 on the highway. I only tow my boat (so far) which weighs about 7K#, then I get around 12-14 MPG. My only point of comparison is my friend's Ford F350 SRW Diesel which he tells me gets 10-12MPG in city and 9-10MPG towing. I figured that over the course of a year the difference in diesel cost for me would be 2500HD=20500miles/16MPG*$2.99=$3830.93 vs F350=20500/12*$2.99=5107.91
I'm currently looking at the GM 2011 models for the higher towing capacity (Yes, I am concerned with safety). The 2500HD will be able tow a lot more and the SRW 3500HD will tow 17K# which is pretty good. Supposedly they will also get 18 Percent better fuel mileage. So if you can wait and/or afford to pay more you might benefit in the long run by buying a 2011 model year, Ford, Chevy or Dodge. The difference in fuel savings might actually be a break even point (especially since diesel just went up $0.40 a gallon over the past two weeks.)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Take the rebate. I do believe you will be heavy with the trailer you're looking at though. That 1985# published weight is usually a little light and that's an empty weight. You can count on increasing that number considerably when your rig is normally loaded. Probably around 2400#. Another option would be a SRW F350. A little higher GVW rating but the same size truck. You know your limitations as far as size, weight etc. As others have said, there are usually issues with first year changes. That's a trus statement. Good luck and have fun.

rick_debbie_gallant

Sorry but I like the Dodge. Cant beat the Cummin's diesel. No urea tank. no worries no bothers. pulls our BH3670 very well. My 2 loonies worth.

dalspot

So do we! As former truck drivers, I'd say give me the Cummins any day over a @#$% Detroit LOL. ... Check the fuel, fill 'er up with oil ... thank goodness they've improved the Detroit engines over what they were 25 yrs ago in our big rig.

Alas tho, the Dodge just won't fit in the garage. Not unless they come out with an extended cab instead of a Crew Cab. (did I read that somewhere for 2011?)

Sorry but I like the Dodge. Cant beat the Cummin's diesel. No urea tank. no worries no bothers. pulls our BH3670 very well. My 2 loonies worth.

Rmcgrath, what was the published pin weight of your model? Which one? I swear I remember reading that Heartland now overstates their hitch weights to be on the safe side. And I was told by one of the factory reps that we should be able to pull the 3300QS with a 3/4-ton. I'm just reading too many posts with folks saying "I thought we weighed X but then found out it's really X+X.
I have a sundance 09 and the pin loaded is 2500 lbs

We have a budget for the truck, it's a really big jump in purchase costs as our last truck was only $18,000. Not that we can't afford a 3/4 ton Diesel, mind you, it's just hard to get a handle on spending that much money! Hence the decision to stay with the 4x2 3/4-ton model. In the long run, we'll probably wait to see how the new GM and Ford engines are working out and wait until we can get a few thousand in incentives next year.

Rmcgrath53

They dont make my model right now . It is basically a 2998 the one with the rear bath, but instead of the rear bath there is a storage area and the bunk area is bigger with deeper cabinets. I think the GVWR is 13,000 lbs. When I weighed it, the total weight was 12,500 lbs loaded to the guills. and the pin weight was 2500 lbs. Thats is with my honda 2000 and half dozen chairs and grill in the basement and 12 ton bottle jack,and closet loaded. My current truck handels it nicely, my old truch was a srw regular cab 2002 F350 and it also handeled it real well.