First Problem with Ford 6.4 PowerStroke

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Coming home from a beautiful weekend camping trip Sunday we got a "Drain Water Separator" message on the info panel. Sounded innocent enough. Since we were just a few miles under 25K and are going on a long trip in a week, we took it in yesterday for the 25K service and to have the Water Separator drained. Who'd thought "Drain Water Separator" really meant "Install New Radiator"! Should be completed tomorrow.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I hardly believe the two are related. There was a recall to modify or replace one of the radiators. My dealer replaced mine in a couple of hours as it was in stock. Make sure the separator gets drained.

Last edited:

BigD1

I have a friend that has a 2008 F450 and she has had three new radiators. The last it happened they were in Alaska near Whitehorse and had to lay up for 2 weeks to get it taken care of. She has said that this has been a problem that Ford is aware of and to keep a close eye on it....

truknutt

Committed Member
The radiator is a known problem on Job 1 diesel Super Dutys. Here is the TB wording:

"2008 F-SUPERDUTY - 6.4L ENGINE - MAY EXHIBIT COOLANT LEAKS LOCATED AT THE RADIATOR SIDE TANK CRIMPING AREA. SOME 2008 SUPER-DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.4L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT COOLANT LEAKS AT THE RADIATOR SIDE TANK CRIMPING AREA. ALL SERVICE PARTS WITH A BUILD DATE OF 8/6/2007 OR LATER ARE CERTIFIED STOCK. BEFORE INSTALLING SERVICE PARTS WITH A BUILD DATE PRIOR TO 8/6/07 VISUALLY INSPECT TO ENSURE THAT END TANK CRIMP TABS ARE COMPLETELY CLOSED AND NO CRACKS ARE PRESENT AT THE TRANS COOLER LINE FITTINGS OR INLET/OUTLET PORTS. BUILD DATES ARE LOCATED ON A YELLOW OR WHITE LABEL LOCATED ON THE TOP RADIATOR CROSS RAIL. AFTER THE RADIATOR IS REMOVED FROM IT'S PACKAGING INSPECT TO VERIFY THERE IS NO DAMAGE PRESENT THAT MAY RESULT IN A LEAK OR REPEAT REPAIR."

The issue is the build date of the radiator.

boatto5er

Mine is supposedly a Job 3 build, but stuff occurs, so the problem could be manifesting itself in later models also. I don't consider it a major issue, just an annoyance. At least it didn't happen while we were on a trip, and it was found before our big rally journey next week.

RoadJunkie

I crawl under the truck and empty the water separator every month or 2K miles. I only have 7K miles on the truck, but I don't think I've seen more that a few small "islands" of water in my catch container (bucket). I wonder if discovery of the radiator was more coincidence than result-of the water message.

boatto5er

I crawl under the truck and empty the water separator every month or 2K miles. I only have 7K miles on the truck, but I don't think I've seen more that a few small "islands" of water in my catch container (bucket). I wonder if discovery of the radiator was more coincidence than result-of the water message.

That's what I'm thinking.

Bighurt

If that's been your only problem your lucky...

Mine won't run below -16°F, even with stright #1 and the Ford additive...

I'm a member of thedieselgarage.com there are tons of issues with the 6.4 not as many as the 6.0 but there are issues. Now the 6.7 is on its way with urea and more dpf...count me out. My next truck will be older... not newer. Love the body on the Ford but they've got to figure this stock engine crap out....

Wait till you destroy an injector or fuel pump, or the egr system...prey its still under warranty...

boatto5er

If that's been your only problem your lucky...

Mine won't run below -16°F, even with stright #1 and the Ford additive...

I'm a member of thedieselgarage.com there are tons of issues with the 6.4 not as many as the 6.0 but there are issues. Now the 6.7 is on its way with urea and more dpf...count me out. My next truck will be older... not newer. Love the body on the Ford but they've got to figure this stock engine crap out....

Wait till you destroy an injector or fuel pump, or the egr system...prey its still under warranty...

That's why we negotiated an long extended warranty into the deal.