Rv is a danger to society!

ChopperBill

Got done with our updates on the new unit in front of the house just in time. Code enforcement stuck a note to the door that I could only leave it on site 24 hours and it had to be hooked to the truck, but I had 2 days to move it :confused:. Knew she was full of beans on the 24 hours. Wasn't sure of the being on the truck deal. Looked up the code. It said 48 hours. A paragraph mentioned any boat, utility trailer or truck camper had to be attached the the truck. Well we all know what a truck camper is. Nope guess again. It is any thing that has to have a truck with it. Well Renee called from work and asked for an extension until the first of next week. She was told no way because it was on jacks and was a danger society and to everyone in the neighborhood and a cop would have given us a ticket on the spot and it was suppose to be in the driveway. B.S again. The code said if it wont fit in the drive way it can sit in the street. Well anyway they got into a match and next thing I knew 2 cops were at my front door. They told me 24 hours. Showed them the code. Then they agreed it was 48 hours but had to move it in 24. Showed them the warning and it said I had 2 days to move it. They said "Yep you do and you have proof". One cop had a truck camper but said they meant anything that wasn't a motor home had to have a truck hooked to it. I said a gazillion fifth wheel sit on there "jacks" and were no danger. They agreed. I know the lame brain that writes the codes so I didn't go any further than that. I agreed that I was in violation and would move it by the date that was on the warning. We shook hands and they left. Guess what I am getting at is it is darn frustrating trying to interpret the laws when the writer doesn't know an RV from the Taj Mahal and the ones handing out citations couldn't figure out a third grade Dick and Jane book!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, just hook the truck to it...SO what if the truck is in the middle of the street. Just tell that they can't have it both ways. "Dick and Jane" book...HUMM. The 1st part of the book is about right.

ChopperBill

Wow Bob! Didn't think anyone would actually read my whole post! I was really just venting. Hey, but thanks for looking. :)
on edit. I did mention how a 38 foot trailer in the street was going to turn into 60 foot mess. They just shrugged their shoulders.

jimtoo

Well Bill,,, if you didn't live in one of the "high class" neighbor hoods with all kinds of restrictions you would not need to worry about what other people think. :D
Hook up, take it for a ride, camp overnight and bring it back. :D

ChopperBill

Well Bill,,, if you didn't live in one of the "high class" neighbor hoods with all kinds of restrictions you would not need to worry about what other people think. :D
Hook up, take it for a ride, camp overnight and bring it back. :D
I have lived in this house (paid for!) for close to 27 years. Neighborhood has turned to @#*%. Ours is the only house in the culdesac with a kept up yard and house. The spare tire on our GMC is worth more than the rental neighbors next door complete fleet of rolling junk vehicles. The Bighorn is the only classy thing on the street! However, your idea to hook up and have an overnighter has some merit.

robnmo

Hmmmm seems to me if you hook the truck to it for let's say a day (take a dated photo) then you can unhook for another 24 hrs...........................just living by the "letter of the law". ;)

RollingHome

Bill, Please stop endangering society and all the little children. If for no other reason move the RV for the sake of the children... just what kind of a man are you anyway:mad: ? How could anyone do that to a child ? Parking an RV where children are present !!! You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

You also endangered the environment... the big green turd is blocking sun light that baby trees need:mad:... What do you have against trees ? When's the last time you hugged one:cool: ?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

On the flip side of the burger, did the cop/s have a straight face when they tried to justify their visit ? Did they take 27 - 8x10" glossy photo's of the crime scene for the sure to come trial ? You must live in a slow town with not enough crime... real crime ! This heinous act of yours is right up there with Arlo Gunthrie's "Alison's Restaurant". (showing my age again).<O:p</O:p

JMHO<O:p</O:p

Cimriver

retired4fun said:
I have lived in this house (paid for!) for close to 27 years. Neighborhood has turned to @#*%. Ours is the only house in the culdesac with a kept up yard and house. The spare tire on our GMC is worth more than the rental neighbors next door complete fleet of rolling junk vehicles. The Bighorn is the only classy thing on the street! However, your idea to hook up and have an overnighter has some merit.

You must live in my neighborhood in Colorado!

SilverRhino

Our city has an ordinance that states "RV trailers must be 25 feet from the street".....hard to do when you have a 35 ft. drive with a 34 ft. trailer. They are kind enough to allow you 48 hours to load pre trip and the same after. I was ticketed last year, had the trailer in the drive for a week while working on it...someone turned me in! Fortunately my neighbor is a Police Sgt. ... he called and got it taken care of. While all this happened...within a block of me there are two smoker trailers that sit on the street at all times and a flatbed trailer loaded with junk.....did they get tickets....of course not.

My unit goes to storage as soon as possible because we find it a pain to have it in the drive....but once in a while I do need to work on it. They told me to call and apply for a "temporary variance" if it would be there over 48 hrs.

Of course my property taxes go up every year........

Travel Safe!

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I hate to even think this, but I'm pretty sure some of our Californian's have moved to CO and are now in charge of writing the laws. :)

beasleyrl

Bill - I understand your pain. My neighbor tried to stop us from parking our rig in front of the house while we were packing (it's in storage all other times). She called the police. They told her there was no law against it. Then she claimed we abandoned it. Police came and told us we had to move it until we said it was just put their the night before. Then she tried the fire department (we were blocking the road) -- granted the street is ONLY 40 feet wide and our trailer is 8 feet wide -- they told her there wasn't a problem. Then she went to the HOA. The HOA had a policy that we could keep it there for a "reasonable" length of time so she didn't get any satisfaction there. Then it was the county transportation board and board of supervisors to try and get the laws changed. Again, no luck with that. Then to the state house of delegates. So far, she has had no luck there either. Now, she has taken matters into her own hands. She has literally had 2 cars parked in front of my house for 2 years and 2 months. So, thank fully my "nice" neighbors (which by the way is everyone else on the street) make room for us in front of their houses. Good luck!

robnmo

WOW, you guys got some fine neighbors...........................ours keep asking us to turn up the music and if we've got enough beer if not they'll bring some over, we miss all you alls fun! :rolleyes:

hart1369

i feel your pain. ive had a rv in my drive for 10 years the city got a income tax increase in oct and for proof code enforcement told me i had to move my unit its nice to see your taxes at work. we are having over one murder aweek in this town half are unsolved but my 5er is a problem

fhollan

Bill, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has that problem. The bad part is I've also got apartments across the street. You never know who moves in and out of them. Tonight a woman was chasing her kid down the street and cussing up a storm//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon8.gif. I've got a double drive where I can park the complete rig next to the house behind a gate. If I'm not using it, it's under roof in a pole barn away from here.

RollingHome

Beasley, I'm gonna say it like it is... You're neighbor is a waco who is in depesparate need of an attitude adjustment.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Bill - I understand your pain. My neighbor tried to stop us from parking our rig in front of the house while we were packing (it's in storage all other times). She called the police. They told her there was no law against it. Then she claimed we abandoned it. Police came and told us we had to move it until we said it was just put their the night before. Then she tried the fire department (we were blocking the road) -- granted the street is ONLY 40 feet wide and our trailer is 8 feet wide -- they told her there wasn't a problem. Then she went to the HOA. The HOA had a policy that we could keep it there for a "reasonable" length of time so she didn't get any satisfaction there. Then it was the county transportation board and board of supervisors to try and get the laws changed. Again, no luck with that. Then to the state house of delegates. So far, she has had no luck there either. Now, she has taken matters into her own hands. She has literally had 2 cars parked in front of my house for 2 years and 2 months. So, thank fully my "nice" neighbors (which by the way is everyone else on the street) make room for us in front of their houses. Good luck!

And this type of "neighbor" is exactly why we went fulltime...the only property we own now is a Lot in an RV based community....everybody has an RV...no more problem!!

Glad we don't live in a deed restricted neighbor anymore. Had a nice home on two corner lots. had a driveway put in beside the house just for the RV. Now we have 10 acres and park the RV under the barn with a cover also. And watch the deer also!

ChopperBill

Seeing how this got brought to the top again here is another story. Yesterday in the mail we got a warning to move our 4X8 utility that was parked on the side of the house. We live in a culdesac so there is probably one house that can see it driving by. Absolutely no neighbor cares if it is there. Same code enforcement officer that Renee had the ****ing match with. Ironically she doesnt even live in this town! Got until the 30th to move it. No big deal, I will just put in the spot where the Bighorn is stored when I move it up to WY next week and worry about it next fall. Moral of the story: Don't **** off code enforcement.