Lippert springs strike again

wdk450

The M-R IS is a very nice upgrade but not everyone can afford it. IMO I should not have to spend that much money just to get my BH to go down the road safely, after I spent as much as I did on the unit in the 1st place. I chose to go with THE CP because I wanted the ride to be smoother, I did not buy it for SAFETY.
The design of the shocks and springs is flawed and Lippert and/or HL need to step up to the plate and fix this issue. If it was just one or two every once in a while then it would be different, but this seems to be inventory wide.

Airstream trailers, which have been popular and in production for a long, long time, have Independent Suspension standard.

lwmcguir

I think about everyone knows the factory springs are sized to keep the cost and weight down. And there was certainly some of them that were not manufactured to qualtity specs based on the amount of brolken ones out there. If you are going to load up your coach and perhaps operate it with out watching the balance and loading on axles then you need the next size up. When you look at the luxury coaches most have heaver suspension, however most of them cant be pulled with a 1 ton TV. that is the kicker here. The heaver axles should be an option for the folks that need it. Anyone that has had issues needs the next size up. Torsion axles are OK, however they have to be ran almost perfectly level or you will overload one of the axles. The low maintenance is nice and we have used them for nearly 40 years. However our Augusta has 8K axles/springs and it seems to do perfectly well.

Tankie

I have tried to be very careful with the loading of my axles. In fact I weighed it and I have 12,480 lbs on the axles. That is with about 10-15 gallons of fresh water.

RubiconAg

I finally recieved a call back (several at that) from Heartland yesterday morning about our spring issue. I explained my situation with this system in great detail as stated in my first post. We tried to get Lippert on the phone as well to discuss the possible solutions but had to leave a message. About 10 minutes later I recieved a call back from my warranty rep at Heartland that Lippert had called him back, they discussed the problem, looked at the pictures I had sent and it sounded to me like Lippert upheald their end of the warranty (which is expired) and told Heartland they would not cover it. (no surprise, think a class action suit would get their attention?) However, my rep wants me to get some additional information regarding weights (which I will do once the snow stops), and they will then come to some conclusion on how or if we are going to proceed. I will post up more information as I recieve it. I am hoping to be able to get it weighed no later than this weekend so we can keep this claim moving forward.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
As a new LM augusta owner and not very bright when it comes to suspention. I have noticed that when I turn to back into the drive way ( we live in a very small court) the advantage of the turn radious causes severe tork on the suspention. We previoiusly had a 32 ft 5th and did not worry about this as I tried to turn tooooo much at midnoght in pouring rain and blew out the back window of my TV.

what I am saying is that just going down the road should not ripp the springs and shocks appart inless the road is very bad or the design is very flawed. MY brother in law (owns a very large trucking firm ) never lets me crank the trailer hard. so, I think we have 2 things here. 1. Maybe poorly desgned trailers 2. due to the design poorly designed suspention which cannot handle the tork generated by very tight turns.

I obviously dont know what I am talking about since the posts I have read seem to be much more intelligent than mine. But the next time you turn in a tight space, take a look at your tracks. Just because your TV is using 30-40 feet ( I have a GMC) your RV wheels use less than 12, that is a lot of tork when the wheels get dragged on pavment.......I think

I now do a 3 point turn arround to park rather than a full very tight turn. for what its worth.

breid

I've given some thought to the wear and tear tight turns put on the suspension and tires. Isn't one of the selling points of HL is the 88 deg turn design? Something isn't adding up.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The following is just my humble opinion:

Occasionally backing into a very tight gravel site at a campground at 85degrees doesn't put nearly as much torque on the wheels, suspension parts, and axels as backing into a home driveway two times nearly every weekend at an 85, or even smaller, degree angle. On gravel, the tires/wheels can easily skid acrss the surface putting less pressure on themselves and all the other parts. On the concrete or asphalt there is much more grip by the tires and the suspension gets quite a torque workout. I'm not saying this is the cause of any problems, just giving an observation. Even though the trailers are designed to be able to make an 88degree turn, I wouldn't advocate doing it a lot.

beardedone

Beardedone
If you want an idea of how much torque is applied to the running gear when backing and turning just stop and get out of the truck halfway into your turn, then walk back and look at the tires. One will be pushed in and the other pulled out. Just imagine how your running gear feels! As has been posted in many places, that is why once you get in your desired position you pull the unit back and forth a couple of times to unload the stress.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
No spring problems with the Mor-Ryde IS system.

I have been seeing complaints and worries about all things Lippert for nearly 3 years. So help me Hannah, I'm going to replace all the tires, axles, brakes, and springs before I pull this thing anywhere other than Elkhart...and then on to Michigan for the big foot. Too many reports of broken front landing gears, messed up gear boxes, broken bolts, etc.
for me to have to worry about a broken spring while on the road.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
With respect to the nuts coming loose, has anyone tried lock tight? I use that on my race truck and it seems to deter a lot of the loosening. What is the tork for the U bolts?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
With respect to the nuts coming loose, has anyone tried lock tight? I use that on my race truck and it seems to deter a lot of the loosening. What is the tork for the U bolts?

If you are worried that they may come loose just double-nut them. (65 ft lbs.) Once Loctite is applied there's no way to ever torque them properly again.

mcarso1

Well after reading through this thread yesterday I went and cralled under the camper to take a look. The springs are not flat but there is not much of an arc to them either. Shocks had plenty of clearance from the tires but the angle on the mounting is pretty steep. The u-bolts are all tight and look good too. This thread has really worried me as this is our first camper and a big investment that we are hoping to enjoy for years to come. I would appreciate any suggestions or info as to how we should proceed with this issue as it seems to have the potential to get really bad.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Well after reading through this thread yesterday I went and cralled under the camper to take a look. The springs are not flat but there is not much of an arc to them either. Shocks had plenty of clearance from the tires but the angle on the mounting is pretty steep. The u-bolts are all tight and look good too. This thread has really worried me as this is our first camper and a big investment that we are hoping to enjoy for years to come. I would appreciate any suggestions or info as to how we should proceed with this issue as it seems to have the potential to get really bad.
What is the dry weight of your unit? You may be fine with the springs you have, some units may have the same springs as you do and weight 2000 lbs more.

I just read this post and I will admit I know nothing about axles and or springs... With all the water problems I have been having in just two years... now I got to worry about spring problems? If I told my wife about this post she would just tell me to get rid of it... which I can't because I would lose my butt in the trade deal. When I read stuff like this it really makes me wonder if I purchased the right coach??? Anyway, I haven't heard yet in this post what the fix would cost if you need to fix and/or replace the springs and shocks??

This past weekend I crawled under our LM Augusta the check the ubolts, some I could get a deep reach socket on others I couldn't as there was not enough room between the belly and the ubolt.

We have less than 1000 miles on the trailer and it is not loaded with anything but some water, springs do not look like they have an arch but not flattened either. all ubolts I could get at took 1 to 2 turns to tighten.

In preparation for our trip to attend the Oregon Rally, I crawled underneath our Razor with torque wrench in hand. After all I have read in this thread about loose u-bolts, I was pleased to find that out of 24 nuts on the three axles, only three needed to be brought up to spec and with each one it was less than a half turn. I also found that each spring still had a nice arch.
On each spring I found a tag wrapped around the spring pack. (Similar to the one in the pictures in the post above this one.) This tag gave me the name of EMCO and a part number. A search on the internet came back with a hit on Emco Spring Company (www.emcospring.com) with the same part number. On their web site they state that their springs are made in Tulsa, OK and they "eliminate common problems found with imported springs."

Sure made me feel a lot better about hauling two Road Kings in the back.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
In preparation for our trip to attend the Oregon Rally, I crawled underneath our Razor with torque wrench in hand. After all I have read in this thread about loose u-bolts, I was pleased to find that out of 24 nuts on the three axles, only three needed to be brought up to spec and with each one it was less than a half turn. I also found that each spring still had a nice arch.
On each spring I found a tag wrapped around the spring pack. (Similar to the one in the pictures in the post above this one.) This tag gave me the name of EMCO and a part number. A search on the internet came back with a hit on Emco Spring Company (www.emcospring.com) with the same part number. On their web site they state that their springs are made in Tulsa, OK and they "eliminate common problems found with imported springs."

Sure made me feel a lot better about hauling two Road Kings in the back.

I bet you do feel better.... even "Okie's" make a better product than China!
We will be traving in So. Id in a 2 weeks so keep an eye out for us.

TrickyD

Re: Lippert springs strike again

After reading this thread and many many others with the same suspension problems, I decided to crawl under my BH3055 and check. I found almost exactly what the pics posted by RubiconAg show except I had nine loose nuts and the frt. LH shock top nut was gone and shock was rubbing on the tire! I am just so impressed with Heartland/Lippert quality! Seems every time we have gone anywhere with this thing we've had problems. Most I was able to fix myself, but several were repaired under extended warranty. I can't believe that I am supposed to crawl under the trlr and check the suspension every time it moves.
My tow vehicle travels the same roads and I don't have to check it completely every time it moves. Really poor quality!
Anyway does anyone know it there is anywhere in Winnipeg I can get replacement shocks? Is seems dealers for SOB's don't
carry suspension parts. The part # on the shock is 122108, and I found a kit on Lippert's site, but we are supposed to be about 1500 miles away in a week so if I can get replacements locally it would be great.
Does anyone have an alternate part number like Gabriel or Monroe or other common manufacturer??
TIA

TrickyD