4WD vs 2WD

4ever

Just curious who out there has 4WD vs 2WD. I know you get more towing capacity and payload with 2WD however, like the advantages of 4WD. Let me know what you have.

Thanks,

Ted

Cimriver

I have a 4wd F-350, 6.4L

The 4wd comes in handy, especially in the winter. It snows a bit in Colorado!

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
4x4 here as well.
Can get messy in the winter, but have also needed it to get out of a camp site or two after a wash out of a weekend.

I always look at it like, better safe than sorry. If I never use the 4wd, that is a good thing....... same as the slider hitch.

mesteve

If you really need that 100-200 pounds of payload you need a bigger truck anyways... Just sayin'

I wouldn't own a truck/SUV without 4WD.

mtmax

I would never think of owning a 2WD here in MT, or anywhere for that matter. I would much rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

tmcran

Only 4x4 for me. On our trip to Tennessee,Virginia and Pennsylvania in April and May I helped two 2 WD trucks out of mud and wet grass. Pulled the truck and RV to the solid ground. The second guy was really upset he told me this had happened to him on almost every trip they have been on. Needless to say he will be buying a 4x4..

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Last 2wd I had was in 1972 pulling a horse trailer. After getting it stuck in mud at a horse show, I traded it for a 4wd and haven't return to a 2wd for pulling since. Eventho we camp mostly in commercial parks, I have had to use the 4 X 4 a couple of times, especially in some of the areas when we go Nascar camping.

goodtruck

Well I am just back wards I would not have a 4X4 I drive in enough snow and ice for a living and WILL NOT do it when I am having fun.4 years till retirement and will never see a snowflake again

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Goodtruck, I agree with you. I currently have a truck with 4wd and have only used it twice in the 6 years that I have owned it. I didn't actually need it either time I used it but engaged it just in case. The new trucks are so high in the back end, I would hope that by buying a 2wd, it will be lower and not require me to change the hitch settings to fit a new truck.

Rmcgrath53

I live in Mi. and have a 750 foot drive. My truck doubles as a snow plow with a 9 foot blade in winter. I have been taking the rig on December trips for the last 2 years. I would not have gotten out of Mi. If I didnt have 4x4. I also have a steep grade that I back up into when I get home and it would be impossible with a 2 w d . I dont know what extra the 4x4 cost but if you figure just 2 times with a tow truck and it will probbably pay for itself
Ron

Rrloren

I've needed 4wd many times to get out of muddy or wet grass campsites .
Every once in awhile here in Jersey we get snow , like last year over 50 inches with 2 or 3 over 15", would have been stranded in my driveway for days last year. 4 wd only drops the tow rate 300 lbs or so.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Well I am just back wards I would not have a 4X4 I drive in enough snow and ice for a living and WILL NOT do it when I am having fun.

X2

4wd and chains are to get out of trouble and not into it. If you are pulling the camper and need 4wd you need to park it.

Have run ice roads in my 2wd dually pulling campers way up north and I specialize in running north west Canada dragging RVs. In 110.000 miles I have been towed twice, and one of those times was for when my clutch blew on the way to Yellowknife. The other was the snow drift I hit on a back road I shouldn't have been on trying to outsmart a malfunctioning RR crossing that had traffic backed up for miles by using google maps on my blackberry.

So towing cost me $90 to get out of a drift which I could have used 4x4. Heck towing is the cheaper option.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Until NOW, I have had 4X4's since 1972. Since we retired and went full time we have stayed away from snow so no longer need the 4X4. If we ever quit full timing and buy a house I may buy a beater 4X4 to get around in assuming we buy in the snow belt. Our plan is to buy something in the future but in an area that doesn't get much snow. Preferably NONE!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Last year we attended the Escapade at the State Fairgrounds in Salina Missouri. We had a great time and we were parked on their RV campground which was grass. We had a couple of days of rain and when it was over and people began leaving everyone was getting stuck. I went to home depot and bought some plywood to make a road so I could get out to the pavement. I almost made it but my 2wd truck couldn't do it. A guy in a 4wd truck pulled me out. I knew then the next tv would be 4wd which is what I have now. I haven't had to use it yet but it is comforting just knowing I have it if I need it.

BTW the heavy duty wreckers were having a field day pulling out motor homes.

RollingHome

Rays a smart man, listen to him ! However, I have gotten 'stuck' in my own yard in the summer ! Fortunately I had 4 wheel drive. I pop the TV into 4 wheel high and life is good... all the wheel whiz goes away. Only once did I need 4 wheel low. Keep in mind this is in my own yard, in the summer... does that tell you anything ?

jwpurdy

I have needed 4 WD pulling up hill on gravel roads as in 2 WD the rear tires would spin and not pull 5th wheel. Also needed to get out of grass fairgrounds after two days of rain. In the rocky mountain area you are going to want 4 WD.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I was in a campgound that was all grass. The sites were backed up along the shore of a lake. To get to the sites you had to go down a slight slope. If I had not had 4x4 I would not have gotten out with the 5er.

While in Rockport during spring break, DW & I drove down part of the beach to see all the people. If I had not had 4x4 I would have been stuck more than once.

From what I remember, to include 4x4 on a truck it adds about 3k to the price. Is it worth it? Who knows, but it you got it... but if you don't. Think of it as insurance.