Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2011 BH Axle Disaster

1. Print this Post   #11
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Re: 2011 BH Axle Disaster

It does not necessarily have to be a Heartland dealer to fix it, just as long as Lippert okay it. Also any trailer repair shop or truck stop with repair facilities should be able to change it out. You might have to pay for it and then try to get reimbursed by Lippert but check with them about it. This time of year most RV Repair places are snowed under with work and you will have a long wait. If I were you I would try a trailer repair shop of frame shop.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

2. Print this Post   #12
    Past South Carolina Chapter Leader SouthernNights's Avatar

Jeff,
    VERY sorry to hear of your problem, especially with vacation so soon.

I do not know where you are located in MI. but you might see if these guys can help if you are close to Saginaw.
    I have never had them work on anything but I have ordered parts and talked with them on the phone. Very professional and seem very willing to do whatever it takes to provide quailty service. If that is an indication of how their service is, it might be worth a call and maybe y'all can get something worked out.
    http://www.truckspring.com/

Good luck and hopefully Lippert's axle will show up in time.
    Larry and Samantha
    Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

http://cloudsandoceans.blogspot.com/

3. Print this Post   #13
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Jeff, the axle's are not hard to replace. If you didn't live 3K miles from here I would help you do it. The 5 things to remember is...

When jacking up your 5er....make sure that it is hooked to your TV.
    Don't jack it up by the axles....frame only and chalk the wheels.
    The "U" bolt torque is 65 lb#'s.
    The axle will center itself....there are centering pins on the springs.
    The brake wiring should be simple....just wire color to color...use the unbroken wires as a guide. I would solder the wires...shrink tube....don't use butt connecters....to much chance of corrosion and you might loose a brake or two later on.

MY 2cts Bob
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

4. Print this Post   #14

Jeff, I'm sorry for your troubles. This also is very upsetting and we all will be watching. I too have a 2011 3670RL (however, with 7K Lippert axles). This doesn't sound good so far. Good Luck with your troubles. Please keep us posted. Tom
    Tom & Patti
    Lancaster, PA
    RV - 3670 RL
    TV - 3500 HD DW NBS

5. Print this Post   #15

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I'm trying to stay positive. This is a huge blow for our family and I'm really praying that things get straightened out in time. Not so much for me, but due to all the time/planning/expense incurred by others who are attending, counting on us to be there.

I spent a ton (to me) of money on a coach that I custom ordered, INCLUDING the best axles I could buy through Heartland, and now this happens (after a long list of other issues already addressed). This is not what I expected when I wrote that check for a new coach. I'm very patient and understanding, but everyone has a breaking point...
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    2012 Chevy Silverado DRW Classy Conversion
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

6. Print this Post   #16

Looking at the first picture those springs look a little questionable.
    Ken & Kathy aka TheAmRheins

2009 Landmark Augusta
    2003 Chev 3500 D/A dually

7. Print this Post   #17

Reds Frame shop on M59 in Howell Mi. would be able to handel your Job for the replacement . I bet if you called them they would fit you in right awayThey replaced the spring packs in my Dually.They have done other work for friends.
    2002 f350 7.3 CC dually long bed
    Banks intercooler /w trans command
    Edge juice on economy.
    2008 Everest 345s
    Prodigy 3 brake controller
    2 ie2000 gen torque to 120
    Added leaf all around rides great
    560 watt solar 4 6volt batteries 2000 watt inverter

8. Print this Post   #18

After looking at your pictures, Lippert has no excuse for using such a shoddy spring seat.
    Anyone with any sense would use a spring saddle on a round axle properly welded.
    Heartland should never accept such a product from a vendor.
    This kind of thing should never happen, expecially on 2011 unit.
    Hope Heartland and Lippert stand up to the plate and do the right thing.

Clarence (CE) & Jackie Miller
    2015 3650 Big Country
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    2018 Chevy 3500 HD
    Heartland member since Feb. 2009
    Heartland member 1149
    Duramax
    Allison Transmission

9. Print this Post   #19
    Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding) mrcomer's Avatar

On soap box-the opinions here do not reflect.....

The RV industry seem to be such a penny pinching industry that looks for every type of cost cutting measure there is. Along with that there seems to be a constant watch for weight reductions also. In my opinion, spend the extra $.50 for the steel and wrap that around the axle properly and weld it properly. I'll also deal with the additional 1/2 pound of weight too. Why take the chance of having a problem later? Do it right the first time, everytime. Things like this start at the top so maybe we should invite those at the top to take a closer look at what they are putting on the road and ask them if they would feel comfortable dealing with it too. This in no way should be part of the "you get what you pay for" in that we are talking about the safety of people.

Off soap box,
    Mark
    2006 Goshen Rally site #421
    2007 Goshen Rally site #419
    2008 Branson Rally site #160
    2009 Goshen Rally site #419
    2010 Nashville Rally site #P8
    2011 Goshen Rally site #419
    2013 Goshen Rally site #419
    2014 Indiana Rally Site #96

2015 Goshen Rally site #419
    2017 Goshen Rally site #419
    2019 Goshen Rally site #419
    Mark, Linda, Amanda and Justin
    Heartland Owner's Club Member #1007
    Heartland Owner's Club - Past Ohio Chapter Leader (Founding)
    2003 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD/Duramax 4x4 Short Bed
    Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Prodigy Brake Control
    2006 Bighorn 3500RL with Island #9832 Gone
    2009 Landmark Augusta #12606 (Midnight Interior)
    I love my Landmark!
    Garmin NUVI 1300
    Thousand Trails members
    Vinyl Your Way email
    mrcomer2000@yahoo.com

10. Print this Post   #20

UPDATE:

I called Lippert this morning and got some good news. They are rounding up parts, and are sending a technician out to my house, TODAY, which is incredible because it means we will still be able to go on our trip!

Additionally, while crawling around under the rig last night, I found the axle has been shifting side-to-side at least a couple inches, to the point that the brake drums were rubbing on the shock absorbers, which are destroyed. Pics are attached. Also, the springs, at least on one side, appear to have failed in some way as they are sagging more than on the axle not (yet) broken.

While I am happy that this is being resolved so quickly, I am quite disturbed by what I am seeing, the more I look into this. The u-bolt nuts are all loose (more than finger-loose) and I'm real lucky I caught this when I did and didn't have a major accident. Secondly, the axle saddle, on the good axle, does not even touch the axle on the center (pic attached). All the weight rests on the tiny weld joints of the vertical supports. So we're talking about a 13k pound camper resting on a total of 8 tiny pieces of steel to hold it up. Unacceptable workmanship, and I will take this up with Lippert and/or Heartland when I return from my trip. Also, it seems I do not have the correct spring pack that would normally come with 8k pound axles, which is an upgrade I paid for, but was initially not on the build when the dealer picked up the unit. Heartland took the unit back to the factory and swapped out for 8k pound axles, but I'm guessing they did not change over the other hardware.

I don't want to sound like a bitter, angry person.. I'm not. I'm just upset at what appears to be a constant stream of failures on my coach, with multiple parties at fault. In the end, if it's all fixed PROPERLY, I'll be happy to pass out the kudos as I have done in the past. And consider myself very fortunate that something MUCH worse didn't happen, especially with my family in the vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    2012 Chevy Silverado DRW Classy Conversion
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast