2011 BH Axle Disaster

ihsolutions

As I pulled the BH 3670RL out of storage today for our BIG summer trip, I received error messages from my prodigy indicating a short or overload condition.

I made it the mile home with partial brakes. I looked under the coach and saw bare wires hanging. I called HL customer service and was told this is non-warrantable since "something must have happened while at the storage".

After a little more time under the coach I discovered the problem. The flat metal piece that is welded to the top of the axle (which the springs rest on) had broken off both sides of the rear axles. Here's the pics. I uploaded one of the front also which is not broken, for comparison:

So my entire family has been planning this 10 day long trip for over a month. We are supposed to leave Thursday morning. After 3 months of ownership of this coach, which has been full of problems, I'm real curious to see if Heartland steps up to the plate and takes care of this QUICKLY so we don't miss our trip. It doesn't help that I can't even get the local dealer on the phone for service. I can't pull this thing anywhere, and it's sitting in my driveway partially loaded for vacation.

Heartland, PLEASE HELP ME!

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    715.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    707.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 283

dewwood

That is unfortunate! I hope you can get things fixed so you can take your trip. I would suggest contacting Heartland again and forwarding the pictures to them. I doubt seriously that you will be able to get if fixed in time for your trip unless you take it upon yourself to find a shop that can work on it for you. Most any shop could fix this problem in a short time so you would be able to leave on your trip. I would be sure to contact Heartland and tell them what you are doing and hopefully they will reimburse you for the repair. It does not look like it would take that much to fix but getting it into a dealers shop and back out in time for your trip is highly unlikely.

ihsolutions

I called Heartland again and they basically washed their hands of it and said, "Call Lippert". I'm furious. I called Lippert, and they asked me to send a bunch of pictures, which I just did, and they will "call me tomorrow once they take a look at them". WHAT???

I asked Heartland to help me escalate the issue with Lippert to get it resolved quickly and they basically told me I'd have to run it up the ladder at Lippert myself.

I'm beyond frustrated right now. I have people flying in from all over the country for this trip...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bigger question is what would cause that plate to snap like that on a new rig?? Bad weld technique would be my first guess. That or hitting the mother of all potholes. Had that been the case, you'd still be cleaning up inside the rig. Besides Heartland, start calling Lippert.

ihsolutions

Update: Lippert says I need a new axle (duh!). They are going to "try" to ship me one tomorrow, and I "might" have it before the end of the week. But who's going to put it on? The only authorized dealer to do service in my area (General RV) says no way I can get help until sometime next week, they have 47 units they have to get finished before Friday.

I asked the Lippert CS guy about having this one welded and he said they won't pay, and he doesn't recommend welding it either.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just noticed in your signature that you have 8000 lb. axles. Did you order it with those? Not that it warrants what happened, just curious. It's a bit of a haul with a shaky brake system, but is there any possibility of your General dealer (I'm assuming it's the Wixom one) could get the Mt. Clemens or Birch Run store to squeeze you in? Good customer PR if they do.

ihsolutions

Yes, I have the 8k axles. Some upgrade, huh?

Talked to a couple mobile welders. When I explained the issue and sent pics, they both said that's a horrible design, and that an axle saddle should be curved on the bottom side to rest on the axle, and welded the whole way around, instead of a flat piece with two tiny points of contact on the side of the axle.

I bought my RV from RVCW in Indiana. At this point I'll do anything to get my coach back on the road. Assuming Lippert gets me an axle by Thursday, I still need to have it put on, and he wouldn't really give me any details about the process entailing that, ie who does it, when, etc.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have watched them swap out my axles for a different reason. They actually pull off the backing plates and leaf springs to replace the axles. I am thinking it took the Lippert guy almost a couple of hours to do one axle. Whoever does it needs to make sure they torque those u-bolts properly. May as well have them check your brakes to make sure they are adjusted properly while they have that all apart. Couldn't take too much more time for piece of mind.

BTW, My personal opinion is that Lippert should help with this based on your pictures. I also agree with whoever suggested that the plates should conform to the axle tube and be welded around the axle and not 2 points of contact.

Good luck,
Mark

Sure hope you get this fixed for your trip. We had to cancel 3 trips the first 3 months we had our Sundance due to warranty work having to be done.. Believe me I know how frustrating this can be. I have very good friend that owns a trailer sales and repair. Sells cattle trailers, Big Tex and large goose neck trailers. He was telling me that when a customer tells him the frame is made by Lippert he knows what the problem is before the customer tells him. The springs are broken or the axles are messed up. He said he doesn't call Lippert due to high cost of parts and that he can get parts locally that are far better and cost is at least 1/3 less.You might find a trailer place near you that would work on the RV for ya. Good luck.

ihsolutions

At this point I am at the mercy of Lippert. I can only hope that I receive the axle Thursday (assuming they ship tomorrow) but they have refused to discuss what happens next. I think the guy wanted to get out of there, it was almost 4PM, quittin' time.

If Lippert does not have the ability to get the thing fixed the day the axle arrives I may just do it myself. It can't be that hard, and I'm comfortable rewiring the brakes, so it's just a matter of dropping the old axle, putting the new one up, and getting the alignment as perfect as possible. I can't miss this trip. Too many people counting on me being there (with my equipment) and lots of money already spent on plane tickets, etc.

It would be nice if Heartland had offered a little more help in regards to facilitating a quicker turnaround.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It does not necessarily have to be a Heartland dealer to fix it, just as long as Lippert okay it. Also any trailer repair shop or truck stop with repair facilities should be able to change it out. You might have to pay for it and then try to get reimbursed by Lippert but check with them about it. This time of year most RV Repair places are snowed under with work and you will have a long wait. If I were you I would try a trailer repair shop of frame shop.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Jeff,
VERY sorry to hear of your problem, especially with vacation so soon.

I do not know where you are located in MI. but you might see if these guys can help if you are close to Saginaw.
I have never had them work on anything but I have ordered parts and talked with them on the phone. Very professional and seem very willing to do whatever it takes to provide quailty service. If that is an indication of how their service is, it might be worth a call and maybe y'all can get something worked out.
http://www.truckspring.com/

Good luck and hopefully Lippert's axle will show up in time.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, the axle's are not hard to replace. If you didn't live 3K miles from here I would help you do it. The 5 things to remember is...

When jacking up your 5er....make sure that it is hooked to your TV.
Don't jack it up by the axles....frame only and chalk the wheels.
The "U" bolt torque is 65 lb#'s.
The axle will center itself....there are centering pins on the springs.
The brake wiring should be simple....just wire color to color...use the unbroken wires as a guide. I would solder the wires...shrink tube....don't use butt connecters....to much chance of corrosion and you might loose a brake or two later on.

MY 2cts Bob

RollingHome

Jeff, I'm sorry for your troubles. This also is very upsetting and we all will be watching. I too have a 2011 3670RL (however, with 7K Lippert axles). This doesn't sound good so far. Good Luck with your troubles. Please keep us posted. Tom

ihsolutions

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I'm trying to stay positive. This is a huge blow for our family and I'm really praying that things get straightened out in time. Not so much for me, but due to all the time/planning/expense incurred by others who are attending, counting on us to be there.

I spent a ton (to me) of money on a coach that I custom ordered, INCLUDING the best axles I could buy through Heartland, and now this happens (after a long list of other issues already addressed). This is not what I expected when I wrote that check for a new coach. I'm very patient and understanding, but everyone has a breaking point...

Rmcgrath53

Reds Frame shop on M59 in Howell Mi. would be able to handel your Job for the replacement . I bet if you called them they would fit you in right awayThey replaced the spring packs in my Dually.They have done other work for friends.

After looking at your pictures, Lippert has no excuse for using such a shoddy spring seat.
Anyone with any sense would use a spring saddle on a round axle properly welded.
Heartland should never accept such a product from a vendor.
This kind of thing should never happen, expecially on 2011 unit.
Hope Heartland and Lippert stand up to the plate and do the right thing.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
On soap box-the opinions here do not reflect.....

The RV industry seem to be such a penny pinching industry that looks for every type of cost cutting measure there is. Along with that there seems to be a constant watch for weight reductions also. In my opinion, spend the extra $.50 for the steel and wrap that around the axle properly and weld it properly. I'll also deal with the additional 1/2 pound of weight too. Why take the chance of having a problem later? Do it right the first time, everytime. Things like this start at the top so maybe we should invite those at the top to take a closer look at what they are putting on the road and ask them if they would feel comfortable dealing with it too. This in no way should be part of the "you get what you pay for" in that we are talking about the safety of people.

Off soap box,
Mark

ihsolutions

UPDATE:

I called Lippert this morning and got some good news. They are rounding up parts, and are sending a technician out to my house, TODAY, which is incredible because it means we will still be able to go on our trip!

Additionally, while crawling around under the rig last night, I found the axle has been shifting side-to-side at least a couple inches, to the point that the brake drums were rubbing on the shock absorbers, which are destroyed. Pics are attached. Also, the springs, at least on one side, appear to have failed in some way as they are sagging more than on the axle not (yet) broken.

While I am happy that this is being resolved so quickly, I am quite disturbed by what I am seeing, the more I look into this. The u-bolt nuts are all loose (more than finger-loose) and I'm real lucky I caught this when I did and didn't have a major accident. Secondly, the axle saddle, on the good axle, does not even touch the axle on the center (pic attached). All the weight rests on the tiny weld joints of the vertical supports. So we're talking about a 13k pound camper resting on a total of 8 tiny pieces of steel to hold it up. Unacceptable workmanship, and I will take this up with Lippert and/or Heartland when I return from my trip. Also, it seems I do not have the correct spring pack that would normally come with 8k pound axles, which is an upgrade I paid for, but was initially not on the build when the dealer picked up the unit. Heartland took the unit back to the factory and swapped out for 8k pound axles, but I'm guessing they did not change over the other hardware.

I don't want to sound like a bitter, angry person.. I'm not. I'm just upset at what appears to be a constant stream of failures on my coach, with multiple parties at fault. In the end, if it's all fixed PROPERLY, I'll be happy to pass out the kudos as I have done in the past. And consider myself very fortunate that something MUCH worse didn't happen, especially with my family in the vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    772.8 KB · Views: 117