2011 BH Axle Disaster

sunflower

I had a 5th. wheel with a different make of axles and one day when I put the brakes on there was a terrible crash bang and the rear axle rolled back under the unit.Long story but the same thing happened but it did have the correct saddles,the welding broke allowing the axle to roll.After 3 weeks of pleading etc. I finally got an axle,got approval for a local welder to repair,at the same time the other axle was rewelded as was the new one because it was no better just not broken.Does Heartland make any fifth wheels with out Lipperts?Do we have a choice when ordering?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Jeff,
I applaude your ability to keep your cool under such conditions and I am also glad to hear that Lippert will be out. If it is Jerry from Lippert I know he will do a great job. Hope they go ahead an swap your leaf springs while they are at it. Please keep us up to date.

My personal opinion on the shocks is to leave them off as they do nothing because of the postion they are mounted. Just one more thing that could fail, fall apart and break something else.

Mark

boatdoc

Hey Jeff,
I applaude your ability to keep your cool under such conditions and I am also glad to hear that Lippert will be out. If it is Jerry from Lippert I know he will do a great job. Hope they go ahead an swap your leaf springs while they are at it. Please keep us up to date.

My personal opinion on the shocks is to leave them off as they do nothing because of the postion they are mounted. Just one more thing that could fail, fall apart and break something else.

Mark

I 2nd this totally!!! I really don't know who is behind all this crud that Lippert and/or Heartland is putting out but it's getting awfully old reading about and experiencing these undercarriage failures. I have to wonder when Heartlands contract is up with Lippert and they open their own frame shop like some of the other big time OEMs.

tmcran

Jeff , man glad to hear you are going to get to go on your trip. The lack of QC and the cheap materials put on these RV's is almost unbelievable. It also bothers me that you went the extra mile to get heaver axles and tires and still are having this problem. Again it's all about QC--this should have never left the factory from Lippert and certainly not from HL. I'm sure many of us will be looking under our coaches checking this very thing. Look luck and keep us updated.

ihsolutions

UPDATE: Jerry from Lippert is working on the coach in my driveway as I type this. Great guy! He's swapping the axle, springs, and shocks. He said it's less than a two hour job.

While he had everything apart, I asked him if in fact I had "never-lube" hubs. He says, nope, they're the easy lube, with the zerk on the end of the spindle. Which is very interesting, because I paid for never-lube from Heartland, and when my coach initially had the wrong axles, and they took it back to the factory, they ASSURED me I had the correct "never-lube". Heartland will be getting a phone call regarding this when I return from my trip.

Pics of hub:

Attachments

• IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    712.7 KB · Views: 85

ihsolutions

UPDATE: Jerry from Lippert is better than advertised! He had me done, start to finish, in 1 hour, 16 minutes (less than his original 90 minute estimate). That included inspecting the other axle to make sure there were no signs of imminent failure. While I haven't towed it anywhere yet, it sure looks better, and Jerry's statement "I wouldn't hesitate to drive this to california tomorrow" made me feel much better.

Thanks to Lippert for quick service. Now I won't say it didn't take a LOT of follow-up on my part, but if you stay on top of a situation like this, I believe they will go the extra mile to make things right for you.

APT

I'm just glad your trip was uninterrupted (well, except the time you spent chasing the problem and solution). Sounds like there will be a great campfire story coming this weekend!

boatdoc

Great news Jeff but remember this should have NEVER happened in the first place and I'd ride them hard for what you paid for on the hub issue. This kind of stuff has got to stop. Is Heartland getting to big for their britches?

lwmcguir

UPDATE: Jerry from Lippert is better than advertised! He had me done, start to finish, in 1 hour, 16 minutes (less than his original 90 minute estimate). That included inspecting the other axle to make sure there were no signs of imminent failure. While I haven't towed it anywhere yet, it sure looks better, and Jerry's statement "I wouldn't hesitate to drive this to california tomorrow" made me feel much better.

Thanks to Lippert for quick service. Now I won't say it didn't take a LOT of follow-up on my part, but if you stay on top of a situation like this, I believe they will go the extra mile to make things right for you.

I would add the CP system. Great insurance and the ride and stability are worth it. Not to mention strengthening up the center hangers.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I was at the HL factory last week, and looked at a couple of piles of axle assembly's. The 7k axles and the 8k axles had the same springs. Only difference I could sees is the 8k had larger brakes. What I couldn't see is maybe the 8k had larger spindles.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I was at the HL factory last week, and looked at a couple of piles of axle assembly's. The 7k axles and the 8k axles had the same springs. Only difference I could sees is the 8k had larger brakes. What I couldn't see is maybe the 8k had larger spindles.

Peace
Dave

That's odd...when my 7K springs were replaced with 8K, I went from 6 leafs to 7 leafs....that was done last June right before the Goshen rally.

lwmcguir

Here is a photo of what and 8K should like, The drums are nearly 4 inches as you noted and you can count the spring leafs. The spring plate is heavier and the bolts are 9/16 compared to 1/2 inch.

Attachments

• HPIM2553.jpg
    HPIM2553.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 85

jnbhobe

Peace
Dave

Dave; The 6K,7K,8K axels all use a #42 spindle, The difference is the bearings they use on the spindle. At least thats what Kodiac told me when I put on the disc brakes. Jon

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, when I looked at the axles I specifically asked about the six leaf springs seen on both the 7k and 8k axles. I was told they were the same for both. 3.5 in brakes were on the 8k axles.
I agree the the 7 leaf would be prefered.
Maybe getting them changed out after the fact would yield the 7 leafs.

Peace
Dave

Update on the 7k vs 8k springs. I talked to a Lippert guy today and asked about what I saw at the factory.....six leafs on both axles.
He told me that their 8k spring packs have 7 leafs. Hmm, I told him what I saw and was surprised at his answer.
Now, I don't know if this is fact, but he told me that HL is using a competitors axles on some models.
That may explain why the two axles spring packs looked the same. Two different manufacturers.

Peace
Dave

My 6k axles have 4 leafs, but they have almost no arch left. Anyone have a image of correctly arched 6k springs? I have a feeling my axles, which are upgraded are held by 5200 running gear.

The leaf spring perches should should have coped vertical plates that sit atop the axle like a saddle, these should be fully welded to the axle, however like in the auto industry many axles simple have end welds.

lwmcguir

Update on the 7k vs 8k springs. I talked to a Lippert guy today and asked about what I saw at the factory.....six leafs on both axles.
He told me that their 8k spring packs have 7 leafs. Hmm, I told him what I saw and was surprised at his answer.
Now, I don't know if this is fact, but he told me that HL is using a competitors axles on some models.
That may explain why the two axles spring packs looked the same. Two different manufacturers.

Peace
Dave

That is interesting. When in the past I have tried to find 4K springs, they were not available except through Lippert. Most of the manufactures go to slipper springs when the go over 3.5K due to the light construction of the hangers.

We do have the Lippert 4K and they seem to be very good springs.

Thanks for the update.