2nd AC questions

cashb

We are considering a second ac in the bedroom of our Sundance 2900MK. We need a low profile and found the Carrier makes the lowest at 7.5". Even lower than the Penquin. We have heard very positive things about Carrier so far. The choices are a 13.5 btu or a 15k and we need the non-ducted which I have found in both sizes.

We live in South Florida and often camp in the heat and humidity here, in summer. Is 15k overkill? Or would you say, why not, bigger is better? It also will have a heat pump.

Any comments would be appreciated on any aspect of a second ac! Anyone have the Carrier brand and are you happy with the performance?

2010augusta

We are very happy with the 13.5 in our Landmark. One possible issue with the 15K is it short cycling in such a small space.

One of the best mods inside our trailer was adding a directional vent to the bedroom A/C unit. it allows us to have air blow on US instead of at the closet and the bathroom door.

here is a link to the writeup with more pictures and info. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11427-New-Vent-in-Bedroom-A-C-with-Pictures?

Attachments

• DSCN4474 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4474 (Small).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN4476 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4476 (Small).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN4475 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4475 (Small).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 33

cashb

Thnx Allen, I had seen those vents and if I'm not mistaken, the ceiling unit I looked at for the Carrier, has one. Also I think I saw one that rotates around like a fan?? I did wonder about short cycling...

goodtruck

We have the 15K in the bedroom(34QRSL ER) and it works fine.only seldom has a short cycle.We live just north of Houston and know what you mean about the heat and humidity.All in all glad we did the 15K.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a 13,500 in our 3400 but rarely use it. I suppose if we were in the warmer climates we would. Alan, I like that added vent idea. I actually have a couple extra vents like that that I had planned on adding in other areas but I just haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll just add one in the kitchen over the sink and the other to the BR A/C.

Northern Virginia
I added a 13,5 Carrier low profile to the front bedroom of our Landmark. It will keep the bedroom below 70 degrees on the hottest days. We are having temps of 100+ here in Virginia and I have been very happy with it's performance. Most of the time it will freeze us and I have to turn the thermostat down.

Last weekend I was taking a midday nap with our two young boys. The outside temps were about 100 degrees and we had no shade in our site. My wife got mad at me that I was going to get the boys sick because it was so cold in the bedroom. (We also had the 15k in the main cabin running as well)

I would recommend the 13,5 and think the 15k in the bedroom is overkill.

John

Jimmyt5

I have a Carrier 13.5 low profile. It has a built in air deflector that you can open if you wish, the end defeltors go up and down to move the air.....

DSCF0540.jpg

cashb

I did hear somewhere else that Carrier is getting out of the RV ac business... where did you hear this Jim? That could possibly impact my decision about brand, but not sure that I can use the Penguin, that is a tad taller.

Northern Virginia
Yea, Carrier is going out of the RV business. I would still get the one that fits your needs. I wouldn't think as many units as Carrier has out there right now that parts or service would be an issue.

jpajax

You might say I heard it from the horses mouth. Have a problem with my Carrier AC talk to Carrier service tech he verified that they were going away from the RV line. But they would take care of units that are still under warranty. Talk to independent repair man and there are some parts on Carrier that are not normally carried by independent and have to ordered.I would personally go with Duo therm or Domenic.