Outside Cabinet Doors dry rot maybe?!

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
This morning as I opened the basement door on the driver's side (ODS) the piston that holds the door came crashing down as well as the door that hit me in the back of the head. The seven screws that hold the plate for the piston had pulled out of the door.

I made a temporary fix by simply moving the plate over 1/4" and screwing them back on. But I noticed that the screws just shot right in - almost as if the particle board was dry rotted and was simply crumbling behind the plate?

I looked at the door on the passenger's side (DS) and found that there are slight signs of cracking on the inside of the door toward the bottom.

Any ideas here gang?

Attachments

• 0709001159.jpg
    0709001159.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 0709001158.jpg
    0709001158.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This morning as I opened the basement door on the driver's side (ODS) the piston that holds the door came crashing down as well as the door that hit me in the back of the head. The seven screws that hold the plate for the piston had pulled out of the door.

I made a temporary fix by simply moving the plate over 1/4" and screwing them back on. But I noticed that the screws just shot right in - almost as if the particle board was dry rotted and was simply crumbling behind the plate?

I looked at the door on the passenger's side (DS) and found that there are slight signs of cracking on the inside of the door toward the bottom.

Any ideas here gang?

If you are still in warranty contact you dealer right away. If not contact Heartland Customer Service for their advise.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
I think they are too heavy to be foam core. They are some kind of particle board/composite I think. We just made the 24th payment today, so we definitely are out of warranty. I am dealing with Heartland on the interior walls coming unstapled already. Just going to add this to the list.

FJ