Exhaust hood light

jmaguire

My light blew out under the exhaust, as if we would even notice. I want to upgrade the light to something better. Anyone done that yet? What did you use, and where did you get it?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our hood uses a 921 bulb. Our lens or cover was pretty much deteriorated so I just left it off. I also added some foil tape the the area directly over the bulb to help with illumination. Works much better now.

Ray LeTourneau

Be careful and check the power limits on the hood light. The power limit on my range hood is 10 watts and I replaced it with a 906 bulb at 9 (ish) watts. I couldn't find a 10 watt bulb, but the 921 runs beyond 10 watts. For example 921 bulb: http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/921~usa.html vs 906 bulb: http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/906.html

Foil seems like a good idea and I will try this approach.
I think I had a 921 in there to begin with. I replaced the original quite a while ago to increase the brightness. I imagine that's what caused the plastic lens to get brittle. Now I have no lens but it's nice & bright. I've thought about placing a couple of under cabinet puck lights up there but just haven't done it yet.

jmaguire

I think I am going to look for a small 12v. led or flourescent strip light and replace the entire fixture.

Dragoon

Replaced ours with a single fixture we had over our desk. Wasn't direct replacement, mounted it on hood slightly in front of and above old light, wired to switch on hood panel, left fixture in on position. Out of sight and not noticeable except DW can now see what's on the stove. Replaced the desk light with double. Both work great.

wdk450

My wife hates low light levels in the trailer. So I invested in a 4 pack of 30 watt Thinlight flourescent light fixtures. I put 3 on the ceiling and 1 in the range hood in place of the OEM little halogen bulb. I had to fabricate a back support bar for the light mount screws out of small, flat aluminum bar stock. I secured this to the 2 sides of the hood with bolts and nuts. I also put a smaller flourescent fixture (15 watt?) in place of the standard 2 bulb light over the prep area next to the stovetop. Now she has plenty of light.
I can't find the same deal on E-Bay now. Here is a link to another supplier of this lamp: http://store.solar-electric.com/tl-134.html

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

JohnDar

This one would work without rotating the base. A little more money though. Click Here

Not sure, though. That side-firing one comes in a T10 base. The 921's are a T15, according to their website. I checked the 906/921 models they have and none are the side-firing type. I don't know what the difference in the base is without actually seeing one.

Ray LeTourneau

Not sure, though. That side-firing one comes in a T10 base. The 921's are a T15, according to their website. I checked the 906/921 models they have and none are the side-firing type. I don't know what the difference in the base is without actually seeing one.
Oops, I didn't notice that. I did see a very expensive one at the Rally from coil n wrap but they were $25 each.

JohnDar

Seems like the prices on LED's run the gamut. On a similar note, last year by this time I'd replaced half a dozen original 1141 bulbs. This season, so far, only one.

Wharton

We bought a 3 pack of wired puck LED lights for Lowes/HD, cut off the transformer, and put them on the hood for light and added a switch. Have done this in the last 2 trailers and it works great. Lots of light.

JohnDar

We bought a 3 pack of wired puck LED lights for Lowes/HD, cut off the transformer, and put them on the hood for light and added a switch. Have done this in the last 2 trailers and it works great. Lots of light.

That is a neat idea. Do you remember the model or brand of the LED lights? I'm guessing that the transformer dropped 120V down to 12V, correct?

Wharton

No, don't remember the brand. Just standard issue stuff. When I bought them while our trailer was on order there wasn't a whimper from DH about installing them.

Yes, the transformer drops the 120 to 12.

I hate working in a cave. Next test will be on our first trip to see how the lighting in the kitchen is. May buy a ceiling track light(Ikea has some great ones) and do the same thing.

We also have/will put LEDs into our reading lights throughout the trailer. Makes a world of difference. We will probably change out the light fixture over the table to an LED ceiling fixture also, again the cave issue.

I have found Ikea the best for finding 12v LED fixtures(all have transformers for conversion to 120). They seem to have the most flexible selection.

Rrloren

After reading this link I removed the cover of the hood light , installed the reflective tape and a 18w bulb, left the cover off, quite a nice improvement.
Also changed the 2 bulbs over the dining table to 18w and that helped also. Thanks for the tips.

Hoosier Wolverine

This one would work without rotating the base. A little more money though. Click Here

Ray with reference to your suggested website for led bulbs, they show product no. 26453. As best I can tell this would translate to an incandescent bulb of about 15 watts.
I'm just curious as to whether you or anyone else thinks this might work well in the range hood.

John