How far do you pull in a day?

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
How far do most of you feel is an ideal distance to pull in a day? We will be doing some travelling next year and I was wondering what most feel comfortable with. I for one would like to be off the road, set up and bbq'ing and having a cocktail by 5 pm.

Rick

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It depends on what your work status is. If your working and on vacation you have a limited time. Like most of us we then have to travel as far as possible to get to as many places as possible.

If your retired and are just traveling or fulltiming then you will find your comfortable distance. Are you one that gets up at 5am and is gone by 7am or sooner you can travel a longer distance than someone like us.

We will be up around 6:30 or 7:30 on a normal day. (8:50am here in Vermont). We will normally be on the road by 10:30 and will travel anywhere from 150 -205 miles in one day, then we stay at least 2 days. We have gone only 20 miles or less when we were at Jekyll Island and had to move, so we went to Blythe Island. We don't like traveling the 250 miles or more, but this is about our limit. We also try to only travel on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Keeps us from being in a hurry.

BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We too are retired and as a rule don't go more than 250-300 miles a day. We have the luxury of going as far as we want.

davebennington

Now that we are both retired we can take our time in traveling. We usually only tow from 9:00 am to about 3:00 pm. If I drive any longer than that I am tired and when we setup I tend to make mistakes, not a good thing.

Dave

Jellystone

Rick, I tend to agree with the other posts. About 250-300 miles a day is plenty. Now that being said, i've done 650 miles in a day pulling the 5er before due to time constraints. I do not recommend doing that. Every person has a different level of ability, skill, and alertness. Also, evaluate how much you trust your equipment to hold up on the road (tow vehicle & trailer). What type of roads are you traveling, smooth interstate or rough state highways? ---As a rule of thumb, 6 hours a day traveling will allow you to get to your destination and still have time to set up & explore the campground during daylight hours.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The 250-300 works for us also! Usually on the first day and last day of any extended trip we will drive up to 500+ miles depending on the destination. We did learn that we like to stay at least three days each stop when possible.

Happy Trails!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Since we are anytimers we can go as far or as little as we want. We usually try to be off the road by 3-330pm. That way we can get into an RV park before it gets too crowded. But there are times when we travel and have to be at a certain place by a certain time. We just had a trip like that and drove from Texas to Elkhart, In in 2 days which meant driving 550 miles a day. Coming back we drove from Elkhart to Sikeston, Mo where we spent the night and got up early and were on the road by 715am traveling to our home just north of Houston. It was right at 600 miles the second day. We sure were wore out but made our appointment in time.

The other issue when traveling is cooking. What we try to do is have something prepared that we can eat on for 2-3 days such as spaghetti. It is easy to warm up in the microwave so we don't have to worry about cooking while on the road. We can have some 'Q' when we arrive at our destination. HAPPY TRAVELING

RoadJunkie

We were staying at a popular RV park for a month in the spring and made some observations from rigs checking in. I don't know at what time the rigs got on the road, but there were a few stragglers beginning to check in about 4:00p with the rush hour beginning about 1 hour before sunset; maybe a little earlier. The early birds tended to be more relaxed and eager to converse while the late comers were frazzled and clearly just trying to reach a destination in the minimum amount of time. The latter would set up in a minimalistic fashion, sometimes not even disconnecting. They get out of their tow vehicle, stretching and looking a bit disoriented as they make their way to the rig, crank up the TV antenna, and that's the last you see of them for the evening. Anyway, I prefer the early bird approach, when possible.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I agree with all of you. 250-300 miles,shut down ,set up and relax. That sounds like the way I'm going to do it.

Rick

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Depends on how far the trip is, normal start is 6-6:30 am many stops usually at 200 km intervals (every 2 hours or less depending on what there is to see) average day will be about 600-700 km

WilmanJim

We were at a Rally one time in our SOB trailer and was talking to a Dometic Rep. and he said the best way to keep the ice off the fins inside the Refrigerator was to turn it off for about 6 hours. So that's what we do. Turn the fridge off and wherever we end up in 6 hours is where we stop. It usually ends up 250 - 300 miles.

JJnLilly

Like to keep it at about 300 - 350 but it seems on our first day out and our last day coming home we make it a much longer day. When we head south from NE Ohio we make it to near Charlotte, NC, basically because #3 son and family are near there and we can spend some time with them. On the return we do the same and by the time we leave the Charlotte area and are moving north, the most convent time/place to stop is only about 3 hours from home - so we take a break and keep on trucking.

PSF513

DW prefers to limit travel time to ablout 6 - 6.5 hours (I guess that equates to about 300 miles). As neither of us are retired, that can make for short stays unless she feels she can go further (depending on the day).

hillsonwheels

Our take on travel time since we are retired.........OUT AFTER RUSH HOUR AND IN BEFORE RUSH HOUR :angel:.......That's usually no more than six hours. Who cares about miles if you are retired? Then, set up...and the cool pop of choice. :cool: We did one of those after dark things not too long ago and it was not a pretty sight. :mad:

Dick

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
400 miles is my max. Anything more and I am too tired to enjoy the trip! I also like to have plenty of daylight left when I pull into the campground.

jnbhobe

Being as I am still working ( BAD WORD ) I do some long hauls, I have done 775mi in a day thats too much. And we just did 350 mi after work today but thats the way it is sometimes. I like the 300 a day mark, maybe someday !!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hunter

Newby
I like to do NO more than 5 to 7 hours of travelling, starting early in the morning, taking some breaks along the way and then getting to a campsite in time to have a relaxing supper. I work as well, so, keep most traveling to areas closer to home. I will only do a longer trip if I can get enough time off of work in a row to make travel relaxing.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Well since the both of us are still in the working world :(, we have to drive hard and long for most trips, except around our neck of the woods. We both drive so that helps in the long days on the road. Example of some of our runs - Outer Banks back to home in one day (over 600 miles); Jupiter, Fl to home (not sure of miles but a 14 hours day, leaving there at 5:00 pm getting home after 7:00 am). One day we will get to enjoy retirement and 200 miles days (got my fingers crossed).

billd

Since the wife and I both work, 650 miles towing has been our maximum for distance. We prefer the 200 to 300 mile range like most do, but sometimes you have to push to meet a deadline.