Lippert Easy Level Up system or Quadra Big Foot Leveling System, Which Better

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I am trying to decide which leveling system is the best option when ordering a new Big Horn or Landmark. It appears there are pros and cons to both. The Lippert level up is the easiest choice as you can order it as an option, it is less expensive, and has served many Heartland owners well since it has been available. The Big Foot leveling system is an after market buy, but actually lifts the wheels off the ground and appears a little sturdier. I would like to start the discussion and hear opinions on both systems.

PSF513

Good morning Larry. As you know, I have the Level Up systm on my BH. With the exception of the Brain Failure which we experienced our first time out, we have been thrilled with the system. It was one of the selling points for us. Having no experience with Big Foot, I have no way to compare. Somehow, I suspect that, either way, you will be very happy with your choice both of units and leveling systems.

jbeletti

Larry,

Check this thread for some comparison.

And here's a link to an advanced forum search using the keyword bigfoot.

My personal take on this is that both systems are decent but the Level Up system is the only one warranted by Lippert for use on their frame. If one is buying a new coach where the manufacturer's warranty is still in effect, this should be considered. If one has a coach that is now out of warranty, this may be less of a consideration.

TX Bobcat and others on this forum that have Bigfoot - please weigh in with your experience with that system and if you had a chance to do it all over - would you rather try Level Up or keep the Bigfoot.

Thanks,

Jim

ChopperBill

I know this is not relevant to this thread but I just gotta say, with my air lift bags and the GREAT new hydraulic front legs on the BigHorns, I find leveling my trailer the least of my worries. Takes NO time at all. I would spend the extra money from a leveling system on beer! (flame suit on and LARGE supply of beer available ;) )
on edit: Oh, the bags cost me about $25 to make and the Hydraulic landing gear was FREE with the new Bighorn!
279084156.jpg

porthole

Retired
Biggest difference between the two is 4 rams versus 6.

I'll take 6 any day over 4.

Tires off the ground - no problem

LevelUp_install_15.jpg

jbeletti

I might be wrong, but I think the system being installed at the factory only has four legs...the two landing gear and two behind the tires...

Kathy,

You are correct. Electronic (hydraulic) leveling when ordered from Heartland is a 4-point system that also incorporates the rear electric jacks (stabilizers only). Level-Up from Lippert (Trailair) is only available for Heartland products as an aftermarket install and is a 6-point system (all hydraulic) and if so equipped, you keep your rear electric stabilizers, but they are not tied into the Level-Up system.

Here, the OP was comparing Level-Up (Lippert only) to the Quadra Bigfoot (which has 4 jacks typically). So 6 versus 4. I go into all this detail here now so that any readers are clear that this particular thread is not a discussion of the system that can be ordered on some Heartland products, which is a different (and 4-point) system.

Thanks everyone for the input thus far. It is an informative thread. Would like to hear from even more who may have the Quadra Bigfoot system to hear more about how they like that system and if they'd do it again or go with Level-Up instead.

Jim

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Jim,
Thanks for explaining the different leveling systems available for Heartland products. I didn't know that there was a difference between the Electronic (hydraulic) 4 point system that you can order with your new coach, and the Level-Up from Lippert (Trailair) 6 point system, that is an aftermarket install, like the Big Foot.

So I am now including in this thread the question of the difference in costs between the 4 point install from Heartland (does it utilize Lippert components?), and the 6 point Lippert Easy Level Up system as well as the Big Foot system? I have heard all kinds of different costs from $2300-$4295, so what's up, if you are ordering a new coach? It is very confusing to me. According to Lippert's website these are the MSRP prices:
I) Upgrade from all electric equipment (requires hydraulic pump)
SKU# 242703
$4,295 MSRP

II) Upgrade to 4 aluminum leveling jacks
(coach is already equipped with hydraulic landing gear & pump*)
SKU# 242667
$2,536.55 MSRP

III) Upgrade to 2 aluminum leveling jacks
(Primarily DRV units already equipped with rear leveling jacks)
SKU# 242666
$1,519.25 MSRP
*Note: LCI may need to replace coach's hydraulic pump, which would require an additional charge

So, what does it cost to buy and install on a new coach from the factory, and which is best, 4 point or 6 point aftermarket?

It would be nice to know which system works the best. I have to ask an important question of which system, besides leveling, also stabilizes the coach the best? I know there are add-on stabilizers, including the Lippert JT Strong Arm Stabilizer $299, and the Big Foot also has an add-on 6 piece set called Plug It Right Stabilizers, with an MSRP of $289.95.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Something that I learned from Quadra about their Bigfoot system is that it is transferable from one trailer to another. They us a separate hydraulic pump at each jack and all can be removed and transferred.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm also very interested in this subject, since I'd like to add hydraulic jacks on my 3670. But there seems to be a huge difference between what some said they paid for the Level-Up and the MSRP. Looking at the Bigfoot site, their cost is very high, also.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have the Big Foot on our 2008 3400RE.

Here is some information that may be intresting:

Big Foot Systems
Big Foot will lift the 5er completely off the ground. I can remove all four tires. They are used on Semi's, MH, Trailers and many other types of systems.

Fully Automatic System for 5th Wheel
It is fully automatic once you remove it off of the TV. You might call to confirm the price shown on this web site.

System Manual

From my Warranty Document:
Quadra Mfg inc has a limited _ Warranty
1 Year full labor warranty
2 year full parts warranty
Lifetime warranty on cylinders

Quadra mfg inc. warrants against manufacture's defect due to workmanship and or material
A full copy of warranty and description can be obtained by calling our corporate office at
1-800-752-9815

FWIW
BC

jbeletti

Bob - great info. Thank you for sharing it.

Larry and John - the cost of the Electronic/Hydraulic leveling from Heartland as ordered on the coach will need to be supplied by someone here on the forum that has ordered it. Sorry but I do not know the street prices on it.

Those here on this forum who have Level-Up have all had it installed aftermarket by Lippert/Trailair. The price they paid in most cases were special Heartland rally rates. As such, the price they paid is less than the street price for Level-Up, whatever that is.

Consider giving a call to Kara at Trailair to get a quote from her on Level-Up. That is the best comparison for Level-Up that you can get as it's "real world / what you'd pay today" cost.

Best luck in your research. I feel you are really moving your bar in this.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks, Jim. I think I will give her a call, if only for info. I was thinking of getting it done next spring, but since I've got to adjust any IRA withdrawal to fund this to include the mandatory 20% tax, anyway, I might push it up and get it done before the end of the year.

billd

Larry,

I can comment on my BigFoot system. It was close to $4,000 when I had it added to our 3670. I do like that it is auto leveling, does it in abour 60 seconds. It can lift the tires off the ground but I dont do that. I love the fact that each ram has its own supply of fluid and you do not have long hydralic lines from corner to corner. Qudra answered all my questions before and after the install. I used a local dealer in Southern California that Qudra sent me to that was authorized to do the install.

I would look at the lippert system if I was looking at a new 5th wheel next time.

Bill

I'm still doing some research into this and am looking at coaches with both systems. So far I'm leaning toward the Bigfoot...

Front jacks are 17,000 pound capacity, rears are 12,000 pound (with larger jack pads)

Individual cylinders and pumps for each... Does anybody have any word from Heartland or Lippert what happens to the leveling system and slide rooms if there's a failure of the main hydraulic pump on Lippert? Are the landing gear hydraulics tied in with the slides and levelers? If so, if the pump failed would I be stuck on (or off) the truck?

Also I don't like the idea of all those hydraulic lines running underneath whatever coach I buy...

Tom Williams
Washougal WA
Soon to be "former owner" of miserable towing bumper pull TT

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Bob - great info. Thank you for sharing it.

Larry and John - the cost of the Electronic/Hydraulic leveling from Heartland as ordered on the coach will need to be supplied by someone here on the forum that has ordered it. Sorry but I do not know the street prices on it.

Those here on this forum who have Level-Up have all had it installed aftermarket by Lippert/Trailair. The price they paid in most cases were special Heartland rally rates. As such, the price they paid is less than the street price for Level-Up, whatever that is.

Consider giving a call to Kara at Trailair to get a quote from her on Level-Up. That is the best comparison for Level-Up that you can get as it's "real world / what you'd pay today" cost.

Best luck in your research. I feel you are really moving your bar in this.

Jim

The canadian dealer price list (as of October 2010) for a Landmark was showing $2552 for the "4 point hydraulic automatic leveling system" which I believe was the " One Touch Auto-Level® System by Equalizer Systems". RV Capital was quoting $1595 for this item.

beasleyrl

Does anybody have any word from Heartland or Lippert what happens to the leveling system and slide rooms if there's a failure of the main hydraulic pump on Lippert? Are the landing gear hydraulics tied in with the slides and levelers? If so, if the pump failed would I be stuck on (or off) the truck?

Also I don't like the idea of all those hydraulic lines running underneath whatever coach I buy...

I don't have the factory installed Lippert Level Up system, but have one they put on this summer at Lippert/Trail Air. On the way home from Indiana via the Nashville Heartland Rally, one of the hydraulic lines burst. Since Trail Air/Lippert replaced the front original electric landing gear on the Cyclone with new hydraulic landing gear, I was in this exact situation where I could not get the rig off my truck. In addition, we were at an overnight stop on the way home and we were unable to open the slides. During the install, they replaced the original factory supplied hydraulic pump with a larger one and tied the entire system into that pump.

Bottom line, I love the system. Lippert/Trail Air stood behind the install by sending a new line and paying for the labor to install it (along with cleaning up the hydraulic mess all over the underbelly). It makes the job of setting up very fast and easy but alsoprovides great support and stability for the rig. Would we make the same decision and do it again? Yes! In fact, it would be hard to go back to a rig without it!!!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If Heartland installs the Lippert system new as an option,are the hydraulic lines concealed in the underbelly, or exposed?

beasleyrl

If Heartland installs the Lippert system new as an option,are the hydraulic lines concealed in the underbelly, or exposed?
Even with the aftermarket version, the lines are above the underbelly. However, they are not secured to the frame very well and the majority of the lines simply float/sit on top of the underbelly. When we had our problem, we actually had the repair done by a company that specializes in semi-truck hydraulics. They properly secured all of the lines to the frame at that point. If you have the aftermarket version installed, I highly encourage you to have the lines secured.

noobee

I hope this helps........

On the Carriage Cameo 2011 Retail Price List, the Bigfoot (mandatory option) list for $4410...

CS