Thor Industries buys controlling interest in Heartland RVs, LLC

dieselsweetheart

Re: Thor thread deleted

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope Brian's message will calm the waters here on the forum. We are committed to Heartland, excited for the future!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!

Mr. Brady, Jim, all Heartland employees. Congrats.

I think it's a good thing and the only one that needs to worry about this aquisition is Warren Buffet and his RV manufacturer.

The financial backing that Thor has is a huge bonus from investing in the companies they own right down to financing consumers.

Look at how Wall Street reacted to the news, many times when a company buys another, you see the company that made the purchase, stock share price immediatly drop........ Not this time, Thors share price jumped higher.

Again, best wishes to all, gotta get some shut eye now so I can pick up a couple Heartland Focus trailers in the morning.

P.S. Jim......... Grubsteakers;)....... I-39 exit 104 on IL64 go west 2.5 miles to corner of 64 & 251 on NE corner w/ big gravel lot and truck parking...... OMG Dem some goooooood groceries der man..... Highly recommend the Monte Cristo sammich and homade vegatable beef soup.

They have a bar too.

Figured if I got the crew here thinking about food and drink they'ld forget about their worries with the merger. FOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!:angel: BEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!:D

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired

Thank you Brian, it is so good to hear from you directly. I met you in Goshen last year, and was very impressed with your vision and honest caring and interest with the owners comments. So much in fact that I have come around for my second purchase of a HEARTLAND. I believe my Big Country 3500RL starts on the assembly line today. Can't wait!!

dieselsweetheart

From RV Business Breaking News to which I am now a subscriber....

Thor Motor Coach reported record-breaking sales during the 42nd Annual Pennsylvania RV and Camping Show. Virtually all of the brands exceeded any previous sales records. This retail show is the largest RV show in America and should set the stage for the upcoming show season, according to a news release. Matt Thompson, general manager of Thor Motor [...]

Hmmmmm....

gpshemi

Been checking out the Open Range toy haulers. They're still independent from Thor and appear to be built well if anyone cares. LOL.

After pondering it some more for the last few, I've decided my next unit will most likely not be a Heartland product now. I just can't face giving Thor any money after they way their companies have treated me over the years. Keystone, for one, royally screwed me over. I fear Heartland will be forced...scratch that... led...down that same road, and it's simply not worth the risk.

Yes...I'm a Thor hater. They made me that way though. Sorry.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Hey, how about a Thor RV Owners Rally? Would that include most RV owners in the country? It sure would be one great big rally. LOL

Northern Virginia

That's what I like about this forum. It is like a little owners rally everyday...without the potluck.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim they could call it "The Rally" and have it in places like Or, NM. Ga Ky and places like those.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Been checking out the Open Range toy haulers. They're still independent from Thor and appear to be built well if anyone cares. LOL.

After pondering it some more for the last few, I've decided my next unit will most likely not be a Heartland product now. I just can't face giving Thor any money after they way their companies have treated me over the years. Keystone, for one, royally screwed me over. I fear Heartland will be forced...scratch that... led...down that same road, and it's simply not worth the risk.

Yes...I'm a Thor hater. They made me that way though. Sorry.

Just recently looked at the Open Range product again, just last week...I was NOT impressed with the fit and finish and quality of workmanship, or much else that I saw, for that matter...JMHO. Until Heartland treats me badly, which I doubt will happen regardless of their parent company, I will remain a loyal owner....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

There was an Open Range Residential at the campground this season. From the outside, it does look impressive, but I did not get inside or real close to it. I don't like crawling around someone else's site if they're not around. Looking at their website, the pictures are pretty, just like any other manufacturer's are, although I don't care for two-tone cabinetry.

If there's one at the MARVAC RV Show next week, I'll do my usual fine tooth comb look and report what I see. But, looking again at their website, they're fairly new to the RV business, as well. And still independent.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I agree with Ken and Kathy. I've never owned a Thor product, so I have no first hand knowledge of them. I have heard of their reputation but until they change things with Heartland I am keeping an open mind about them. It can me a good thing for HL to have the financial backing of a huge company and their buying power, not to mention their clout with suppliers. Hopefully we'll see good things come from this merger.

gpshemi

Re: A Note from Brian Brady, President HEARTLAND Recreational Vehicles

To The HEARTLAND Owners Forum

A Note from Brian Brady, President HEARTLAND Recreational Vehicles

<the catterton="" team=""> allowed HEARTLAND management to run the business and, at the same time, they were an outstanding resource for us. </the>

The Catterton Partners allowed Heartland to run the business as Heartland wanted because they were merely investors with no first hand experience running RV manufacturing. That's pretty typical of an investment company in my experience. They buy interest in companies with great potential, pump money into it, then resell for a profit. Thor on the other hand isn't just an investor. They are owners. "They get it" as you point out. They do have first hand knowledge and may think they know a better way. There in lies the concern with meddling with the company and peoples concerns. From what I've read everywhere, Thor is a ruthless profit whore, and loves to meddle and squeak every last dime out they can for shareholders, even at the cost of pure quality.

The challenge for me, therefore, was to work with our financial partners and seek an exit that preserved the essence, the soul of HEARTLAND.

I don't follow that logic entirely since that can be a bargaining chip in any negotiated sale.

1. Thor has the financial muscle that will enable HEARTLAND to focus on the future for the benefit of our dealers and our customers. This is an often overlooked point of consideration. The Thor guys are RV guys. They get it. If HEARTLAND needs resources and the investment makes sense, I am totally confident that those resources will be made available to us immediately.
At the same time, a Thor sister company may now also have that need, or a greater need, and this will shorthand Heartland. Worse yet, could even pull profits from Peter to pay Paul.

There's always two sides to consider. I appreciate your glass half full outlook though. You can't blame a person though for questioning their beloved company and where it's headed though after a sale like this...and lawsuits with allegations like this:

http://www.rvdailyreport.com/News/t...r-files-fourth-suit-against-Heartland-RV.aspx

Just recently looked at the Open Range product again, just last week...I was NOT impressed with the fit and finish and quality of workmanship, or much else that I saw, for that matter...JMHO.

Well that's good to know then. Can skip checking them out next time around.

floridarandy

Re: A Note from Brian Brady, President HEARTLAND Recreational Vehicles

At the end of the day these are simply products and we as consumers have the discretion to determine what is in our best interests....manufacturer by manufacturer, model by model. The great thing about user forums is that you get factual information, albeit, after the fact. Loyalists are usually folks who have had a good experience. Detractors, other than those who object to hear themselves object, have usually had a bad experience. There will be both with any product.

As Americans I think we have a soft spot for the little guy who builds a company with sweat equity...ala Heartland and Open Range. Initially they have good ideas and good intentions and all have some initial rough patches when models are new.....then rough patches when they grow too quickly. Then, sadly success provides the opportunity to sell and "bigger is better" economics takes over....and we fear that the heart and soul of the thing is now gone.

I guess we should be happy we own pre-Thor, and those that come after can judge post-Thor.

FYI we looked at Open Range quite closely and almost bought a new 33 footer. We were fortunate to find our 2009 Sundance 2900MK after giving up that we'd find a good deal on that nearly new rig we had preferred to get. If you study Open Range I think you'll see a lot of what made Heartland in the beginning... startup by industry pros....trying to do things with innovation. Their product wasn't perfect but we were really impressed and the dealer we met with many times really was proud fo the way they stood behind their product. But, I'm sure there will be a "Thor" someday in their future as well.

Does make for good forum fodder tho, huh.

Randy in Florida