Thor Industries buys controlling interest in Heartland RVs, LLC

sunflower

Re: Thor Acquires Heartland RV Stake for $200M

I wonder how the dealers feel,some left the Thor stable to sell Heartland because it is or was a better rv.delete this post also if you like but it is a very sad day to see a great company go down.

gpshemi

Thor thread deleted

I see my post on the Thor buy out was deleted. Oddly, Heartland left it up on their Facebook. Too hot a topic here or...we don't like negative thoughts on the sale? What's everyone elses take on the sale? Love it or hate it?

akalaszlo

I came on here just to give some insight to this. Now keep in mind I have been in the RV industry for a very long time and I do NOT work for Thor, Heartland, or a dealership that carries Heartland. I am a BIG fan of Heartland. Now to get on with my 2 cents. After reading these posts it feels for the most part many don’t like Thor but what I don’t think many know is Thor is nothing more than an umbrella company that gives heartland more power to buy things cheaper and do more things but at the end of the days sends their profit to them. ALL Thor RV companies work independent from each other and compete with each other. It’s not fair really to tie any of these companies together and say all Thor are bad or Thor ran them down when, Thor has nothing to do with it. If I were to ask 100 people what was the best Travel trailer out there 99 of them would say Airstream. Now did you know Thor also owns airstream? Did you know they are still made the same way they did 76 years ago for the most part? Did you know if it was not for Thor buying them out Airstream was going to have to shut their doors down. Thor owns heartland, Keystone, Dutchmen, Four winds, Damon, crossroads, Airstream and none of them have anything to do with each other all make up their own mind what they are going to do and wants to beat each other. Now I know Keystone as Fallen way down from what it was in the past but that was because of Keystones managers not Thor. I think this great new because I think (I do not know for sure just think) heartland was having some money problems. The reason I think this because I know dealers all across the USA and many started to drop heartland because they stated Turning down warranty work or not paying it all together. This has been the story from many dealerships from across the country all telling me the same thing and they don’t know each other. IF this is true and who really knows it don’t matter not like anyone would really tell us if it was but it’s very common trend. Monaco did the same thing when they had hard times and so did, Fleetwood, hitchhiker, weekend warrior, Country couch and many others who are not with us today or sold off, But again if this is true IT DON’T MATTER anymore because Thor has a TON of money and I never heard of a dealer ever having a hard time with them. I see nothing but good things coming from this :) . But i guess time will show all.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Thor thread deleted

It is probably gone becuase Mr. Beletti already started a thread about the THOR purchase. Regarding your question...I am not happy about it!

gpshemi

I looked and didn't see any other posts. However, admittedly I don't venture much beyond Cyclone section. Regardless, people re-post topixs everyday. They never get deleted. Perhaps it was an oversight.

My experience with every company I've worked for that's been sold is there are changes in policy despite being told "nothing will change" or "this is a good thing". It's never been true as of yet.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I saw Jim's post from this morning and at least two more. There is a rule against double (and more) posts.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Wasn't Thor the one who demanded Heartland products not be sold by Camping World? What's up with that?

gpshemi

my appolgies to the mod. I now see the thread was mearly merged with an existing post. However, without notice...

Even still...sorry for questioning the mod. Please feel free to delete this thread and close.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I just want the quality and customer service to remain tops in the industry. It those two areas remain superior to all other manufacturer, I don't care who owns Heartland. I wonder if the same people will be working at Heartland a year from now?

gpshemi

Unfortunetly a person won't know how this works out till they go to claim warranty work. At which point it could likely be too late if Thor has pressured the very polocies that has lead to Heartland growth of the last 6 years or so.

Fortunetly, we've bought our Cyclone and seem to have worked through the kinks of a new rig. However, we seem to buy new rig every 3-4 years. So, regretably this will likely be our last Heartland product as my experiences with Thor's child companies has left a nasty taste in my mouth. I won't add value to their future given my past treatment. Sentiments seem to be the same all around and is a major blow to growth for Heartland. I can only imagine the dollars for a select few on top are what drove this decision, as there is no way anyone could possibly view this as a good thing given Heartland's customer's songs of praise.

Exciting for those few, but this is depressing news for the rest. Hardly exciting...

irvin56

I am out of the warranty time on my trailer. SO I am into any work that has to be done a) from extended warranty I purchased
b) out of pocket and do myself.

I kept my other trailer for 17 yrs. This one hopfully another 10 or so. By then someone else will start up and be attactive to new buyers. So for myself, it doesnot matter who owns what. I will buy the unit and layout I want when time comes and if heartland is still around and decent, I will buy one.

I had decent service the first yr that warranty had to be done and Hearland plus Dealer stepped up to do it right. I'm happy with what happened and will still go to the dealer that sold me mine. Regardless if he changes make, model.

Only time will tell over the next few yrs.

JUST HOPE we don't loose this forum. More worried about that.

J.B. hope your situation with Heartland is good with this deal

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I looked and didn't see any other posts. However, admittedly I don't venture much beyond Cyclone section. Regardless, people re-post topixs everyday. They never get deleted. Perhaps it was an oversight.

My experience with every company I've worked for that's been sold is there are changes in policy despite being told "nothing will change" or "this is a good thing". It's never been true as of yet.

If you don't venture out of the Cyclone section you are missing a great deal. Look around and you can learn about other models, and even issues that are common within the Heartland line.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader

I will have to say I agree with everything that everyone has said so far. I am very disappointed that Heartland chose to sell. My Landmark is long out of warranty but the folks at Heartland have worked with me to help get some issues resolved and because our unit is out of warranty,they didn't have to do it. I just hope none of this changes in the future.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Another thought..
Heartland owned the entire company. I think they sold a controlling interest of the company to Catterton Partners Investments. If this is so, this, in my opinion was their mistake. Catterton Partners Investments saw Heartland increase in profitability and could make a good profit by selling to Thor. I believe Thor saw this as a way to increase their profit and also eliminate a solid competitor.

I am not sure that Brian Brady was looking for this result. They should have never sold controlling interest in the company.

When I was looking for my first 5th wheel a friend told me to stay away from Thor. Their quality was very poor..

Well that is life. Lets see how it plays out.

BC

caokgafamily

I'm bored with this discusion! I should be out camping, enjoying my 2007 3400RL Bighorn with 15K + miles. But I now have a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like a elite rv owner, owning a Bighorn, but now I guess progress for Thor/Heartland is good? Maybe its no big deal? I'm all for profit, thats why I have a job! When I bought my 07 Bighorn in 2006 nobody came close with the price and options. Maybe we shouldn't be so gloom and doom, but everybody is thinking the same thing in the back of there mind. Jim thanks for all the hard work and I thank everybody for all the input over the years on this forum.

Steve

Tom of Ypsi

April fools, NAW, it is Sep. Friday the 13th, NOPE but it is a BLACK FRIDAY in the RV world. Wonder what my resale value is now. Last month we were offered $44,800 for our current LM, should have taken it.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
April fools, NAW, it is Sep. Friday the 13th, NOPE but it is a BLACK FRIDAY in the RV world. Wonder what my resale value is now. Last month we were offered $44,800 for our current LM, should have taken it.

Wow...I never thought of that! I wonder it it really really make a differance on resale? Maybe the original ones will be worth more! :D

Dave012

Every decision made by Heartland including this forum, and great customer service, was about making money. I think thats all fine as they should have a good strategy and make money from it. Many of Heartlands decisions we, as consumers, liked so we bought the product. Some people may have also believed that the company actually cared beyond its strategy, but this was unlikely. Its not surprising they sold it when the opportunity came along.

I wouldn't count on anything in the future as Heartland will no longer be Heartland. Its just a brand name like Prowler. In the future it can be bought and sold, and the owner will use it as they see fit.

The only thing that wasn't about money were the members on this forum some of whom have spent hundreds or thousands of hours greatly assisting each other for free. Thats priceless.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

I think we all need to step back and take a deep breath...

If you look at the history of Thor's acquisitions in the past, you will notice that they have a tendency to allow these companies to continue on with everyday production fairly autonomously. They have owned Airstream since 1980...you didn't see them fall apart and stop giving great customer service. They also own Crossroads...I think since 1991...they too have a good reputation in the industry, and their customers seem happy with the product and the customer service. They've owned Keystone since 2001, and the Montana continues to be the best selling 5er in the industry, however Bighorn is gaining on them quickly...

My point is Thor seems to know, for the most part, a good, strong company when they see one, and they also seem to know how NOT to mess up a good thing.

Did Heartland sell us out? NO...they sold controlling interest to Catterton in order to acquire the necessary capital to move the company forward to make it the strong company it is today. Catterton invested in Heartland with the sole purpose of making considerable profit in a reasonable time table, and that's exactly what they do, they are venture capitalist....when the time was right they sell, and apparently this was the right time!

I for one feel that if Thor follows the pattern they've established with prior acquisitions, Heartland will continue to grow and produce the quality product and service they've become known for...let's just relax and give this new chapter in Heartland's history a chance...JMHO.