Thor Industries buys controlling interest in Heartland RVs, LLC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Re: Thor Acquires Heartland RV Stake for $200M

Very well said Kathy. We need to catch our breath and just wait to see what is going to happen. It's gonna happen anyway, so there's no sense in worrying about it.

azbound

Re: Thor/Heartland??

This marks the end of quality and Customer service we all came to expect, now Heartland products are just another Thor crappy trailer. I really hate to say this but I guess my next RV will be a Jayco. I have owned Thor products in the past and when Thor took over service and quality went by the side. I can't help but feel betrayed.

As the California Governor said " Hasta La Vesta Baby "

jbeletti

Hi all,

It was just 13 hours ago that I posted the news as I knew it. While I am not in a position of intimate knowledge of all things at Heartland, I can clarify a few things some of you posted as concerns in the dozens of replies to this thread:

1. Heartland remains as committed as ever, to you, our customers
  2. There are no operational or procedural changes planned for customer service - all warranties remain intact - no change
  3. We will continue to compete with other Thor owned products as if they are another company - which they are. Difference for Thor is they win either way - which is good business for them and by extension, Heartland. As consumers, you all still have brand choice - so you win as well
  4. Thor has committed to and history shows us that Thor in fact does allow the companies they acquire and hold, to operate as their own entity. If the formula works - why change it
  5. Economies of scale with respect to purchasing power would be an expected benefit for Thor and by extension, Heartland and its customers
  6. The financial backing by Thor of Heartland gives us much more flexibility than we've ever had in the past to innovate and expand
  7. Myself and a former partner, not Heartland, created this forum as product owners and brand enthusiasts. I have continued to direct and manage the forum since I came on board with Heartland in March of 2008. Heartland plans for me to continue doing so, for the foreseeable future
  8. My position with Heartland remains in place and secure as its ever been

Much has been said in this thread by genuinely concerned product owners. This development scares many of you. I understand that and it is to be expected.

Some of you have posted comments that have surprised me and others that are a bit disturbing. My hope is that some of these feeling are a result of the shock of this news and is a capture of your first reactions.

Everyone deserved to know and I wanted you to know this news as soon as I was able to release it. And now I feel we all just need to take a couple of days to rationalize it all.

Thank you all for your trust thus far, and please extend me and all the hard working employees of Heartland the opportunity to serve you well going forward.

Jim Beletti
Founder / Administrator, Heartland Owners Forum
Director of Owners Interests, Heartland RVs, LLC
President, Heartland Owners Club

azbound

Thor quality and service

Can anyone tell me one company that has been bought by Thor where Quality and service improved. My experiance is just the opposite, the quality of the RV went down and Service after the sale suffered dramaticly. IMHO the recent announsement is heartbreaking news and spells the eventual end of what was a great RV company.

irvin56

Thanks for the info Jim.

Good to know what's happening at that end of story.

keep up the good work and also good work for our Moderators
you are all GREAT (tony tiger great)

jbeletti

Re: Thor/Heartland??

Hey gang,

I know some are finding this story online in other places and do not know this thread was started here to have the forum conversation on the Thor-Heartland topic. Please don't be offended to find your Thor thread you created elsewhere, moved here. They are not being deleted. I am sorry but it's just not possible for me to notify everyone each time a thread or post has been moved. I move a HUGE amount of material daily from where it got posted to where it best fits. And for now, for the Thor-Heartland discussion, let's keep it here.

As for the our other social media channels (Twitter and 16 Facebook pages), I posted them all at the same time this morning as we felt it best to get the word out ourselves and to do so right away. Leveraging all the channels we have available got the word out there fast.

While I do manage all of our social media endeavors, and while it is never my goal to prune conversation, I am seeing mean spiritedness in the tone of some of the commentary, especially on Facebook. Those who know me, know that my channels are not run as "anything goes".

Jim

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Thor quality and service

At first, I was shocked by this news, then dismayed. It's easy to think the worst when a big fish eats a small fish. But remember, we love our Heartland products. We talk about them. We share stories, and pictures, and mods, and experiences. We will still do that, and that is what leads others to buy. They cannot take away the quality products we own right now. Thor needs to understand that WE AS CUSTOMERS, in this digital, connectional age, are their biggest asset. They purchased a brand, but they also purchased a huge number of brand loyalists... And they need to understand that a brand lives and dies by it's followers. If they decide to muck with the Heartland quality or customer service, THEY WILL LOSE. So I suggest to the current HL employees, when they (Thor) start saying, "We need to change xyz because of blah blah blah," ya'll will say, "Our brand constituents will not speak highly of that... are you SURE you want to alienate those folks?"

I love my Heartland, and will love it until someone gives me reason not to. Then all will hear about that.

GOTTOYS

I'm a new Heartland owner. My take on Thor buying em out? BIG DEAL..The sky isn't falling, nothing in my world is going to change. If I don't like what they change I can vote with my wallet. There's plenty of choices out there and news ones keep coming along all the time. I won't keep this new Big Country forever and never planned to. Next time around I might have gotten something from another "family" anyway. The ONLY reason to be in business is to make money. If other nice things happen along the way great, but it still comes back to money. I for one ,won't be missing any sleep because of this. JMHO..Don

wdk450

I think that one of the biggest indicators we can watch on whether Thor ownership is hands on or hands off is this forum. If we still have the freedom to post stuff like "Lippert Doesn't Care About Safety", or "Heartland Lemon", or the like, down the road; then maybe Thor will let the Heartland Group go its own path doing business as before their investment. If there is increased censorship, then that is an ominous sign of Thor's attitude in controlling Heartland.

billd

Thanks for the update Jim. It will take time for everything to pan out and I am hoping the best for Heartland with continued success in all areas.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader

I had to laugh tonight when we recalled that our Heartland Rv is financed by Thor Credit so they were making money off us anyway. They had the best rates when we bought but their customer service isn't anything to brag about. But then, I rarely have to contact them anyway.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader

Let me say one other thing about the buy out from a personal experience. I have worked at a furniture upholstering company here in town for almost 25 years.It began as a locally owned company, started by 3 friends,35 or so years ago.We really were a family.The owners would come out in the plant and talk and knew us by name.We had good benefits for a small company and had plenty of business.Then about 15 years ago,we were sold to Lazy Boy furniture,( and we have all heard of Lazy Boy furniture)Lots of things changed.We lost some benefits, that I really liked ,and gained some benefits that I really liked.Of course the companies founders are not in the plant anymore.We see the higher ups in the company a few times a year,BUT our commiment to quality and customer service has not changed. We still try to produce,or at least I do,the best piece of furniture built today.We have lost alot of employees because of the bad economy,but thank God,our plant is still open.I believe that it is the fact that we are owned by a large well established,finically secure company that we are still open.Alot of other furniture companies in our area that are not a part of a larger company have closed.So while I am disappointed about the Thor buy out,this may be a good thing for all Heartland employees and owners as well. I guess it wouldn't have mattered who purchased Heartland we would have all felt the same way.As has already been said,let's just give it some time and see what happens.

davebennington

I have read all of the post so far and I can see and understand everyones concern. We had a similar situation when we were in business. Terry you have said it very well things may change, then again they may not. Let us wait and see how everything shakes out before condemning Heartlands actions.

JimB as always will keep us informed the progress goes forward. JMHO.

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I for one will not loose any sleep over this. Heartland did $400 million last year so they are doing something right. I believe that Thor will allow Heartland to operate business as usual. The fact that Brian Brady is staying put makes me believe that. Heartland is still a competitor in the RV game.
But it is business and anything can and does happen so I will just continue to enjoy my Bighorn without worries. It will be enjoyment as usual for me.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

One thing is for sure. Healthy companies are bought and sold everyday and it is not the end of the world. I look at this as a positive thing which will give Heartland access to needed financial backing. Let's all sit back and enjoy our Heartland product. Remember legally they (Thor alias Heartland) has to back their warranty. Their success depends on a high level of customer service as that is part of the business model. Thank you Heartland for your past support and we look forward to your continued support in the future.

Pulltab

SO! The sun came up, the sky is still above us and life goes on. I think everything will be fine. I don't think Thor will pour any vinegar into the pudding. This is an excellent opportunity to see Heartland grow, best to be ON the bus than walking :) See everyone at the next rally!

dieselsweetheart

Ya know what Ken and Kathy... you have explained this acquisition EXACTLY as I see it... you stayed positive after all these negative posts and I agree...what we need to do is not jump the gun right now...I am very dismayed at all these negative posts "well that's the last Heartland I'll ever own"... good grief! We're 24 hours from getting this news and people are jumping ship already! Thank you Ken and Kathy for your post to urge everyone just to hang in there with the company we have STOOD BEHIND for these past years. Brian Brady is still at the helm and I believe Heartland will remain the strong company as it is today...customer focused!

gpshemi

Re: Thor thread deleted

If you don't venture out of the Cyclone section you are missing a great deal. Look around and you can learn about other models, and even issues that are common within the Heartland line.

True to some degree, but I'm also a long time member of RV.net. I get my other needed information from those threads. I visit the Cyclone forum for more model specific stuff and to offer help. If I do a search though, it'll bring up solutions from outside of Cyclone secton. My point was, it's not that I DON'T go to the other sections, just don't frequent them much (like daily). The post was only up half a day in another section right? Pretty easy to miss in my case.