Thor Industries buys controlling interest in Heartland RVs, LLC

arisce

I have mixed feelings about this. I hope it turns out alright. But I am not an economist so...Maybe someone can explain how this is good news. Thanks.

DMitch

Good news, I'm not sure but hope so. This is just a case of Catterton Partners turning a profit on an investment.

ihsolutions

It should allow Heartland to expand much more quickly than they could without Thor's resources.

Having said that, I'm NOT a fan of the deal. Or Thor.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
This actually scares me! I previously had a Thor product! HERE is more gossip at rv.net A second thread HERE

Last edited:

2010augusta

I think it is kinda scary too, but Thor has allowed Komfort, Dutchman, and Crossroads to maintain their brand identities. I don't think Heartland will be wrapped up with the Keystone line. we'll just have to see how this all works out and cross our fingers that it really is "good news".

boatdoc

Just ducky, now we're associated with Keystone, the big reason we bought a Heartland!! Let the bean counting begin.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Well business is business, and perhaps having ownership in the hands of an industry leader will mean good things for Heartland.
I will say that when we entered the RV hobby it was Heartland's reputation and "growth" that lured me in.
We will not be looking for a new rig, (for at least 30 days ;)) so I will support, watch and gather data for the next pruchase.
( I was not happy with the Thor offerings when we bought, nor the quality repoutation of the brands mentioned in the article)

ihsolutions

I also have to wonder how this will affect the consumer in the end. Thor's dominance continues to grow, which has to eventually mean higher prices for the consumer (less competition). Maybe Thor figured, if you can't beat them, BUY THEM!

Moose

Just ducky, now we're associated with Keystone, the big reason we bought a Heartland!! Let the bean counting begin.

BINGO! It will be driven by the ben counters now. I can just hear the sucking sound as the quality, customer service, etc "change".

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This not good news as far as I am concerned. I never liked Thor products...........so what should I buy now?? IMHO, Heartland just shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
It's the American way. As mentioned "If you can't beat em buy em". Having spent the last couple of year looking, learning, and comparing I can't understand how Keystone could sell a coach with Heartland representation in the area. Could this be the classified of the future: Wanted pre Thor heartland will pay extra

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think it is kinda scary too, but Thor has allowed Komfort, Dutchman, and Crossroads to maintain their brand identities. I don't think Heartland will be wrapped up with the Keystone line. we'll just have to see how this all works out and cross our fingers that it really is "good news".

Unfortunately, maintaining brand identity may only be a matter of letting them keep their decals. What goes under the skin may be dictated by economy of scale, which could very well mean cheaper quality and corner cutting. Current HL management is putting on a happy face about it, but when big fish eat smaller fish, the smaller fish don't smile for long. Doesn't take long for changes in leadership to be dictated by the guys holding the strings to the purse. Also makes it easier to shut down or sell off (in parts even) the brand that doesn't meet management projections for profit.

But, there is a potential bright side to this (if you believe in benevolent management). Could be that Thor dictates that any dealer handling a Thor line must also honor any Heartland warranty work without question...or else.

Pulltab

Here is our best hope, Thor has money and got there by making wise investments. Let's hope they stick to purchasing wisely and not putting their fingers into a well organized and working machine. If the intent to own and profit and let heartland to function on their own then we should be ok.

I would like to think that the owners did this with good intentions in their hearts for all involved and not just their wallet, although not many of us would have probably turned down the same deal :) .................................**** I wish I was rich LOL!

I'm going to stay on the upside of this aquisition!

On edit, had to correct iphones stupid autospeller :)

billd

I love my Bighorn and Heartland RV. But I am not a fan or Thor or their products. So I will keep watch on how this plays out and they let Heartland run their business as themselves with little interfearance from Thor Corporate.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here is our best hope, Thor has money and got there by making wise investments. Let's hope they stick to purchasing wisely and not putting their fingers into a well organized and working machine. If the intent to own and profit and let heartland to function on their own then we should be ok.

I would like to think that the owners did this with good intentions in their hearts for all involved and not just their wallet, although not many of us would have probably turned down the same deal :) .................................**** I wish I was rich LOL!

I'm going to stay on the upside of this aquisition!
I agree with Pulltab. I read, in full, both articles available and this sure does look positive for Heartland. It COULD mean increased manufacturing capabilities and more capitol. As long as they continue to have the existing level of Customer Service, we can't go wrong. I think for Thor, it's about profit. Heartland has proven itself over the last 5 to 6 years. Catterton made money and now Thor will be making more.

shovelguy

There is no such thing as "benevolent management". Remember the movie where they kept saying, "show me the money"? It has been my observation that money/greed will always overcome good sense. Those of us with original Heartland product would be wise to take very good care of it, because we will never be able to replicate it. It may be the American way of life, but how can it be good for one company to own everything? The primary reason we were drawn to Heartland was the fact that their company was small enough to care about their product as well as the customer. I do hope someone at Thor is reading this. J