overhead cabinet hinge pulled out of cabinet

Rocky

I have a 2011 Greystone 29MK and on the cabinet over the stove (door lifts up), a hinge keeps popping completely off on the door side. The plastic screw plug inserts in the door come out of the wood with the hinge and screw attached. The hinge is on the same side as the hydraulic strut and I believe the hydraulic strut door opener is the problem. It appears the strut is popping the hinge's plastic screw plug inserts out of the wood because of the angle the strut was installed. I have looked at my 7 other overhead cabinets and the hydraulic strut has been installed from a range of vertical to an angle (no consistency). On my problem hinge, the strut is angled toward the hinge and I believe this facilitates the strut lifting the hinge out of the door when opened. I have read that an owner of a North Trail was having a similar problem and assume we are not the only ones. Does Heartland have a fix for this issue?

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
When this issue occurs is it generally not the struts, it is more the plastic inserts installed in the doors. You can epoxy the plastic inserts in place to prevent them from pulling out, we have had pretty good success with this.

Rocky

When this issue occurs is it generally not the struts, it is more the plastic inserts installed in the doors. You can epoxy the plastic inserts in place to prevent them from pulling out, we have had pretty good success with this.

I will give the epoxy fix a try. I had another hinge pull out on a rarely opened cabinet that I was checking for contents as we were packing up to leave the campground.

Last edited:

jheitman

I will give the epoxy fix a try. I had another hinge pull out on a rarely opened cabinet that I was checking for contents as we were packing up to leave the campground.

I found one popped out of the wood after travelling for a day. I pushed it back in and tightened the screw in the plastic insert. I checked other hinges and found many of the locking screws loose. If they pop out again I'll try the epoxy fix. I hope Heartland is doing something to address this issue in new production.

D

Dave Willis

We have addressed the issue and I have only heard of a few people that have had a problem.

Thanks,

RallyUp

We have a 2011 Greystone 32RL and are having the same problem. The cabinet over the microwave and the cabinet below the oven both keep popping the rubber studs. My husband tightened the screws and it keeps happening. We'll have to try the epoxy, but agree Heartland should find another solution. Thanks.

Treeban

Caliber Senior Owner
I have had a similar problem with one hinge in our Caliber 315 REDS. I was able to fix it (with a slightly longer screw), but after a close look at the construction I agree that Heartland could find a better hinge setup. I also believe it has to do with the hydraulic strut being positioned improperly. I am interested in knowing if the epoxy fix is successful.

jheitman

I have had a similar problem with one hinge in our Caliber 315 REDS. I was able to fix it (with a slightly longer screw), but after a close look at the construction I agree that Heartland could find a better hinge setup. I also believe it has to do with the hydraulic strut being positioned improperly. I am interested in knowing if the epoxy fix is successful.

I had a door pull out the hinge and I first tried tightening the screw. That didn't work long so I bought some two part epoxy. Only one day on the road so far but all is ok. I have about 5000 miles so far, and many of the hinges were found to be lose. Only one had to be glued so far.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Here's how I fixed a problem with a hinge after I knocked the door off because I forgot to close it before bringing in a slide.

Remove the hinge, place a small amount of wood glue in the hole, insert two or three round toothpicks into the hole and break off flush with the cabinet, reinstall the hinge. The screw will be in very tight.

Mine held great for two years afterwards (until I traded the trailer in).

D

Dave Willis

We did have a problem with our hinge machine about 6 months ago. Our maintenance team fixed the problem and we haven't had an issue since.

Thanks

gratton

I have had the same problem with 3 doors on my unit. One was fixed by dealer when I had some warranty work done. The other two I have just been living with since I have only used it a couple of times since it happened. I will try the epoxy or just wait till I take unit back to dealer for a few more warranty issues.

Rocky

I will try the epoxy or just wait till I take unit back to dealer for a few more warranty issues.
I had hinges popping out on 4 of my 8 overhead cabinet doors when I attempted my epoxy fix on the plastic plugs. Subsequently, I had another door hinge pop out (5 of the 8 with the problem). I used a liberal amount of epoxy which was a mistake. The epoxy got into the threaded portion of the plastic plug and the existing screws would not self tap into the epoxy. I had to drill out the epoxy from the plug insert which resulted in one of the hinges that was "fixed" having the screws fitting too loose in the plug and pulling out from the plastic plug insert (at least the plastic plug stayed in the door). While drilling out the epoxy you have to be careful not to drill through the door. If convenient, I would let the dealer do it, otherwise I would have some self tapping screws on hand. Good Luck.

Well my first benefit from the Heartland Forum....good advice from fellow members. My wife and I just recently bought our Greystone 29MK to replace our 1996 Nomad TT. On our maiden voyage, we anticipated weeding out a few bugaboos. The first was two of the spring loaded cabinet hinges popping out of their plastic inserts. We will try the epoxy fix before our first warranty trip to the dealer. Our Jensen DVD/Radio
Unit also stopped reading the DVD halfway through the first movie (should have picked another movie instead of "Jaws"). Looking forward to more fun times in our home away from home. Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi Nolan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Really happy to hear you only had a couple of minor problems on your first outing. I'm sure things will be taken care of for you.

Use your new Greystone and make lots of great memories.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try drilling a pilot hole into the hardened epoxy, then using the screws for the hinge. Those hinge screws are made to be driven into a pilot hole, not used to self-tap. Coat the threads with a little soap or wax before screwing them in and they'll run in easier.