Jacking Up a 5th Wheel

porthole

Retired
I built a ramp from 2 x 8's for changing tires. During my next trip I had a blowout and used my ramp to change the tire.
Now I'm considering a Mor/Ryde IS system and have been wondering about changing tires with that system installed. Does anyone know if the ramp will still work or will it be necessary to jack the trailer from the frame? Since the axles will be removed it doesn't appear as if a bottle jack with the cradle can be used. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this. Thanks, John

Now this one I do have some experience with :cool:

I tried the board method, maybe not enough boards though. With the MR IS there is approximately 5" of total travel. When set up right the trailer will sit at about midway of the travel limit.
Driving up on one board uses a lot more travel. IIRC when I tried it it required more boards then I was willing to carry.

I bought a low profile 20 ton bottle jack at Tractor Supply.
This fit just fine under the 1/2" steel plate that holds the spindle. No cradle needed.
You may still have to drive up on one or two boards to make up for the decreased height due to the flat.

The 20 ton makes lifting way easier then a 4-6 or 10 ton jack.

Its cold and there is snow all around the camper, otherwise I'd take a picture.

porthole

Retired
Here is the IS.

I placed the jack where you see the yellow

Attachments

• MR_IS_build_13b.JPG
    MR_IS_build_13b.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 263

porthole

Retired
The average jack is too tall. I have a low profile jack. I'll measure later today.

But just so you can see it, even if you need an inch or two that is easily done with 2 boards. Which you would probably need any way with the flat (increased load on the good tire/suspension.