More condensation

Gaffer

My situatiion is a little different. My rig is parked at home for the winter. I had my roof vents (bedroom and bath) open with the max air type covers over them. Same thing last year with no problem. This year I have a Calmark Sunbrella cover over it.
After a hard freeze and then a wet warming, I noticed condensation on the inside of the vents and some migration onto the adjacent ceiling.
Should I not keep the vents open? I thought it was a good lidea to let the rig breath while in storage. Would it be better to leave the vents closed over the winter? Should I put the plugs in them too?
I am going to pick up a dehumidifier this weekend and dry the place out. Should I then be okay for the rest of the season with the vents closed and plugged?
I don't think I should need to run the dehumidifier all winter.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
when we lived in Maryland, another very humid state, we always kept everything closed up tight all winter, and summer for that matter...never, ever had a condensation problem in over 25 years of RV ownership....

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hi PJ.
We never have kept the vents open in winter under our calmark cover. We do get colder than you do but we have had wet thaws and no problems.
Kristy

caissiel

I stored trailer in the winter for 14 years and never had any moisture problems. Stored the trailer outside and always went in the trailer when it was colder then room temperature and vented the trailer with the windows opened to draw fresh cool dry air in. We never did any washing of the unit till the spring because washing was, to me anyway, the root cause of humidity in the trailer, the wife always wanted to do it though. Its hard to go in the unit in to cold a day but cold air will hardly contain any humidity on a clear sunny day.

Gaffer

Update. I went to Lowes Friday and picked up a dehumidifier. After playing with it in the kitchen of the house and seeing it draw the humidity down from 55% to 50% in about an hour, I took it out to the trailer and set it up in the bedroom between the toilet room door and the shower. I ran the drain hose into a one gallon plastic tub which I placed in the shower. I have been filling the gallon tub about every 24 hours. Humidity in the trailer was 70% when I started on Saturday and down to 45% last night. I turned the adjustment up to 50% to see how much moisture I collect per day maintaining that level. I now have all the vents shut tight.