Is Go Power Weekender SW solar/inverter a good Solar Panel kit?

greylynn

I'm wanting to add a solar panel kit to my 2008 Cyclone 3210. I only use it dry camping at the dunes with the toys. I find my family using the genereator ALOT to watch movies and I don't have an inverter. Does this kit look good? It's mainly to watch movies and maybe run a lap top. 1500W should be plenty. Also I have 2 12v batteris, but can upgrade to accomodate the solar system. This just seems like a good kit because it comes with the inverter and everything. Anybody have any experience with these kits by Go power?

See here...

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|49497|1485045&id=1479801

Grey

branson4020

Icantre Member
Seems like a nice kit. On the other hand, you only need a couple of hundred watts for your entertainment center and laptop, so for just that, its way overkill.

sdrubrecht

I agree with Branson about the overkill of the inverter. The price seems ok, but I think you could do better piecing out parts to suit your needs. The website you listed doesnt list brands or true specs, call first for specifics. Like everything else, there are a lot of worthless Chinese knock-offs out there. Also, many of the name brand panel makers don't warranty their panels when installed on rv's. As to the inverter, think long and hard as to how you will use it and how it will be installed. A permanent install needs wiring and plugs for a dedicated system which wont work unless the inverter is on, or the inverter needs to be a flow-through type that allows the genny or shore power to energize the same circuits. These types are usually converter/charger/inverter combos and replace the factory supplied converter. Otherwise you need seperate circuits or extension cords to keep the inverter power from powering the converter (battery trying to charge itself) or shorting out when AC power is present from genny or shore power.
We have the converter/inverter/charger combo, 3-75 watt panels, and a morningstar dual charger on our Cyclone 3010. Dont know your toys, but with this charger a second line keeps our Teryx charged while it is in the garage.
We have 2 large 6 volt batteries (330 amp hrs). In the winter we usually dont get quite enough charge from our panels to watch dvd's and run the heater when it is cold., but we have more than we need in the summer. Also, the inverter puts out 2000 amps, so we can use our coffeemaker or the microwave without having to crank up the genny everytime. All depends on the sun.
Good luck with your system.

Crumgater

The link is for a panel with 'output power' of 125W, not 1500W.
And that would be on a bright, sunny day - with maximum angle (i.e. close to the equator).

Includes:
  • GP-RV-125, 125-watt (7 amp) solar charging kit
  • GP-SW1500-12 1500 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter for AC power
  • GPR-25 digital regulator
  • GP-SW-REMOTE Inverter on/off remote
  • GP-DC-KIT3 DC Inverter Install Kit
  • Easily expandable into a full-time system
Panel Specifications:
  • Output Power: 125 Watts
  • Rated Current: 7.0 Amps
  • Rated Voltage: 17.9 Volts
  • Dimensions of panel: 58.5" x 26.1" x 1.38”

greylynn

Thanks for the input guys! Well, I have decided not to go with this kit. I have been looking at the Xantrex ProSine 2.0 or Magnum MMSG and then getting a 125w kit with the MPPT from AM solar. The MMSG has the flow through power concept I think. Does anyone know if the Xantrex does? Anybody have any experience with any of these? I am updating my batteries to two Trojan T-105's this week if I can figure out my battery situtation...... See here //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/22134-Why-does-my-Cyclone-have-three-batteries-with-pics

Last edited:

greylynn

The Prosine 2.0 has a built in 30A transfer switch. You may consider more solar capacity than 125W. A good site for solar supplies is http://www.solar-electric.com/ . Good prices and good service.

I got the Xantrex freedom SW 3000 inverter with the automatic gen start and system control panel. Later down the raod I am going to add solar, probably 300w. I talked to the guy over at AM solar, I liked what he had to say, so I will probably go that route. They are found here http://www.amsolar.com/

watchthebox

Let us know when you get your solar installed. It's good you're posting here. This solar section is like a ghost town! I'm working on my inverter install, then next up solar.