"Babies Wrapped in Love" a community outreach opportunity

dieselsweetheart

Re: Babies for us...for the crafty ladies

I also started a shell pattern while away in Myrtle and that is looking nice too... I want to find that peach color...so pretty... how are the rest of you doing??

kkamshop

I"m the slowest knitter ever! But I'm about a 1/3 finished with my first blanket. It's gonna take 4 more skeins to finish it...

dieselsweetheart

When you think about it...(especially if you can get the yarn on sale)...it's really not expensive to make a baby blanket! I just wish I knew more patterns.. I want to make up little tie-on tickets that have our Heartland Owners Club on them...and then we can tie them on to the blankets with leftover yarn...so save a string of your yarn for this tie-on...we will do that at Goshen at the ladies table.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

Hi cherly, At the hospital if we have a long term mother to be and she can knit they ask her to make baby hoods. we had one mother who could do 2 or 3 a day. Just a thought I would help but never learned how. You guys are doing a great thing here!!! Kathy

dieselsweetheart

Hi Kathy...it's addicting!! I am lucky to be able to crochet and even needlepoint in the car... once I pick it up it's hard to put down. I worked on mine from Va to PA on the way home on Sat...

dglatta

Hi Cheryl,
Just found a great free pattern for a baby "sack." It looks as if it will be quick to do. I'm excited to get started. This is a great idea.

Kathi

dieselsweetheart

I think it's a great idea too!!! It helps to feed our addiction to our crafts and helps others at the same time!! I am hoping that people read about the project but just aren't posters...and are busy whipping up those blankets...I'd love to have 50 to donate!! Thanks everyone!!

Paul & Nan

I am alternately working on a hooded sweater and a blanket--makes a good "happy hour" project, not to mention will work on while traveling from TX to IL in a few weeks. Know I have yarn at home to use up as well. Nan

dieselsweetheart

Bless you Nan!! I will make sure our donation will be put to the best possible use...helping those who do not have much....

dieselsweetheart

For those of you who would like to help the babies but don't knit or crochet, I received word this morning from an outreach coordinator who told me that last year they were in desperate need of baby food for their shelter. So.... here is a way to contribute and feel good you are making a difference in the lives of a mom and her baby.

Thank you to everyone for your generosity!!

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

OK Cherly, Count me in on this I will get some baby food!!!!!Hey it makes me feel good to help. Kathy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Out of curiosity, since we have no experience in feeding babies, what is the best kind/form of baby food to get for this donation?

kkamshop

I think powdered formula like Similac with iron would be a welcome donation and probably jars or the plastic cups of stage 1 and 2 foods as well.

dieselsweetheart

Thank you ladies!! This makes me feel good to read your postings. John and Darlene, I believe the baby food is described on the labels as for infants...that rules out the toddler foods. There are cereals too...probably the rice cereal would be a good choice...it's tolerated by most infants as an early food. Fruits such as applesauce, pears, peaches, and bananas are also good choice. Formula can be pricey, but if you're willing to go that route I would stick with either the Ross Similac Advance or the Mead Johnson formula for infants. Have to be fair to my sales reps...so I need to mention both companies!

navyAZ1

Well I'm responding to this since Miss Ann doesn't do the computer thing. When I told Ann about what I read about this project she got so excited and jumped in the truck and headed for town to find the local Walmart to check out the yarn. We had just arrived at a new oil field gate Thursday and I'm normally the one to go into town to scout out where all the stores and such are, but Ann said "I'm going to check things out and go yarn shopping". So, yes we will be donating a blanket, the one Ann is knitting is kind of a peach color. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Goshen Rally.

See Ya,

Ron:)

dieselsweetheart

Ron, seriously, that makes me feel so good to read posts like yours! I sooooo appreciate your donation and I even though I haven't met you yet, I can feel Ann's excitement in your description!! Sometimes we drop our crafts because other things come up (RVing perhaps) or we have made a blanket for everyone we know...so having a brand new cause is just the trigger some folks need to pick up those needles (or hook) and get going again!!

Thanks so much!!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, here's my dummy question #2. Looking online at the Similac powder in a 23 oz. jug, how long does one of those size containers feed a baby? I'm trying to figure out what, in addition to the items that "DarInMich" (my missus) is busily creating, we might sprout for.

dieselsweetheart

The recipe to mix formula is 1 scoop of powder to 2 ozs of water. A newborn might drink 2 ozs of formula every 3-4 hours for about a week and then increase from there... so a baby gets roughly 8 bottles a day. So that's 8 scoops a day. I think what you can do is look at the label to see what the serving size is and how many servings are available once the powder is reconstituted. So technically a can can last less than 2 weeks, depending on the age of the baby and how much he drinks at a time. Babies who are also eating some solids will take less bottles cause they will be full from the solid food.

Does that give you a better idea? I have to say that infant formula seems pricey...but it's because of all the safeguards formula companies have to go through and have in place so the formula is safe... such as no bacteria, pieces of metal, etc. And babies don't eat solids until about 6 months...so the cost to feed them is just in the formula.

Thanks for asking!!!

dieselsweetheart

Nancy...thank you!!!!! Quilts are so lovely and I didn't ask for them because they can be time consuming and expensive to make...but I sure would love to have them as part of the collection!! Thank you so much!!!!