Fuel - It's Happening Again

Razduck

I know the Big Oil Companies are just playing games with the Political Situations to pad their bottom line and pockets. This stuff makes me so upset.

Diesel Fuel here in Eugene, OR today was $4.29 per gallon. AARRGGHH!!

lwmcguir

If we weren't importing 7-8 million barrels of oil a day the price would be much more stable and we wouldn't have the trade imbalance at such a huge number. We either need to consume less or produce more in the US.

Really has little to do with big oil, lot more to do with supply and demand. Don't intend to start a war here either.

Jellystone

If we weren't importing 7-8 million barrels of oil a day the price would be much more stable and we wouldn't have the trade imbalance at such a huge number. We either need to consume less or produce more in the US.

Really has little to do with big oil, lot more to do with supply and demand. Don't intend to start a war here either.

I agree. If we produce more U.S. oil then we could help solve 2 problems. Putting a bunch of folks back to work with good paying jobs and lower the prices at the pump for everyone.

Fuel prices are bad now, just wait until we see the price of food go up like we've never seen before. It is the perfect time to get our money back from the Middle East--charge $250 per barrel of grain when we export it.

porthole

Retired

Lets just do even trades - barrel of oil for a bushel of wheat.

Need be I could walk to work.
OPEC would have a hard time eating crude.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
This thread was started on February 4 and diesel was $3.90. Today, about 10 weeks later it is $4.50. About a 10 cent a week increase if I figured everything correctly. At that rate it will be well over $5.00 by July. No real point to the comment or concern but it just occurred to me as I was mapping out a summer trip this evening!

archbarb

Here in our area of SE Georgia, depending on where you stop, diesel is 3.83 to 4.09 per gallon.

All I can say is when the independent truckers go on strike against fuel prices, I'll be on their band wagon!!!!!

Archie

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Well, for what ever reason, oil has dropped to 105.88-down from 113 a few days ago.

Could be the recent interest in permits in the USA. Whatever the reason I am glad to see it-or at least in a month-maybe.

traveler44

The highest we paid on the way back from Florida last week was $399.9 but we didn't stop at the bigger truck stops. We came home by way of Springfield Mo. and got diesel for $373.9 at an exit just west of Rolla. They have a restaurant there called MAKING IT FROM SCRATCH. We were shocked to find diesel is $4.20 here in Kankakee County. Highest of the whole trip. Tom M.

wonka

Just returned from Montana with our new Big Horn, 4.15/gal, but cheaper than here at home (4.80/gal), don't count on local oil saving you money, I live on top of a bunch of it and generally we pay more than anyone.
The rig started the trip home pulling 14 mpg (was pretty happy) stopped to top off in Shelby (100 miles from home) topped her off with #1 diesel ( we only get #2 at home) expecting an improvement, but she dropped down to 11 mpg's ( pushing a 50-55 mph wind though). Averaging everything out (round trip) it cost me .35/mile in fuel. Once we get the RV fully loaded it might increase the cost, but as the truck breaks in, it might improve.
We had seen extreme fuel pricing two years ago (1.47/liter or 5.65/gal, don't want to see that again anytime soon), but we adjust as needed. Closer trips, leaving the trailer @ the camp and just taking the tow back and forth. The main thing is, we feel that these experiences are way better for our girls than sitting at home on the computor, or hanging around town with their friends. We are totally off the grid, no phone, no power, just the gen set, solar panels, chainsaw, and our toys ( motorcycles and quads).

tmcran

We have cancelled all trips withRV. Will still go but use auto that gets 28 mpg. The thought of paying $4.00 plus every 10 miles just does not set well with me. I Continue to find motels very willing to negotiate room rates.

beardedone

Beardedone
Just returned from Montana with our new Big Horn, 4.15/gal, but cheaper than here at home (4.80/gal), don't count on local oil saving you money, I live on top of a bunch of it and generally we pay more than anyone.
The rig started the trip home pulling 14 mpg (was pretty happy) stopped to top off in Shelby (100 miles from home) topped her off with #1 diesel ( we only get #2 at home) expecting an improvement, but she dropped down to 11 mpg's ( pushing a 50-55 mph wind though). Averaging everything out (round trip) it cost me .35/mile in fuel.

/QUOTE]
I got caught in that #1 fuel trap also. There is no need for it and they arranged the pump face so you thought it is #2 as normal. When I caught what they were doing I shut it down and had enough to make it as far as I had to go because it was only my aux. tank. If you looked over to the left on that pump island they had #2 available. They must make a lot of money but they will never get another penny of mine!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Just for fun...I was figuring a 2000 mile trip last night. At 11 mpg and $4.50 gal, that would be about $818 for fuel. The same trip at $3.50 gal would be $636. That's a $182 difference in fuel cost...a lot of money but not enough for us to cancel the trip. We will do fewer and perhaps closer to home adventures but will still use our RV.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
$4.16 in central Wisconsin. We'll be staying put until Goshen. Fortunately we have a car that gets decent mpg to drive while we're home. Hmmm, I wonder mileage our lawn mower gets. Would that be measured like a boat? Hours per gallon?:rolleyes:

olcoon

I just got emailed info on a fuel coupon that actually works (I've tried it!) It's just for a gallon, but you can use as many coupons as you want & they don't expire! But you'd better hurry or you may need 2 of them for a gallon!

Attachments

• Fuel Coupon.jpg
    Fuel Coupon.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 25

rick_debbie_gallant

I just got emailed info on a fuel coupon that actually works (I've tried it!) It's just for a gallon, but you can use as many coupons as you want & they don't expire! But you'd better hurry or you may need 2 of them for a gallon!

yikes, thanks for the post. It just gave me an idea: next time I go in to fill up my truck with diesel I may be paying with "PENNY'S"!! I know it will be a pain to carry that much "loose change" into the gas station, but it is a pain paying what we pay for fuel now. let me see: if diesel is 4.25 per gallon, then that means it will take If my calculations are correct at 2.5 grams per penny and taking 35 gallons of fuel for my truck I would need to carry around about 81 pounds of pennys, or about 15000 penny's! Guess who is going to the bank tomorrow?

Now the question is do I give the gas station 300 rolls of penny's or 82 pounds of loose penny's? Can you imagine if several customers did this?

GOTTOYS

I too feel the pain. But I can't imagine what paying the poor $7.00 an hour clerk at the gas station with pennies would accomplish. It's not their fault the prices are high and I bet they get tired of hearing about it. They have to buy gas too. Read an interesting point a few weeks back. If we doubled the mpg a car got I bet the fuel prices would double to make up for the lost sales. Look at the high gas prices in Europe where the cars and smaller and more fuel efficient. The oil companies got us, no doubt about it....Don

rick_debbie_gallant

I too feel the pain. But I can't imagine what paying the poor $7.00 an hour clerk at the gas station with pennies would accomplish. It's not their fault the prices are high and I bet they get tired of hearing about it. They have to buy gas too. Read an interesting point a few weeks back. If we doubled the mpg a car got I bet the fuel prices would double to make up for the lost sales. Look at the high gas prices in Europe where the cars and smaller and more fuel efficient. The oil companies got us, no doubt about it....Don

Don, it was a "tongue in cheeker" :rolleyes:;)

porthole

Retired
Saw $4.70 today at a lukoil ( wouldn't buy their fuel anyway)
Also noticed around our area that the highway stations were higher then the non highway.

Yellowreef

Most of the cost in Europe is taxes, we have cheaper gas because the gas taxes haven't reached those levels. My favorite example is the 175% tax in the UK.