Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Backin up" Signals........PLEASE HELP MY BLOOD PRESSURE!!!!!

1. Print this Post   #11
    Founding California Northern Chapter Leader slmayor's Avatar

Re: "Backin up" Signals........PLEASE HELP MY BLOOD PRESSURE!!!!!

Eye contact and clear hand signals. Really big hand signals. Most important is the one that is a clear "stop" signal. For us, it is just like the traffic policeman's hand up, stopping oncoming traffic. He doesn't move until I motion again. He also doesn't move unless he can see me in a mirror. I'm the person on the ground and lining us up, he's the driver. Because of a lot of after hours arrivals, we try to be as quiet as possible, which is no talking, including yelling into a radio. If it's really dark, I walk up to the driver's window, tell him where he needs to aim for, and stand there with a flashlight pointed at the ground where the wheels need to stop. Sometimes, we both have to walk the site to decide where we want it.

It might help if you let her try to back up in an easy site, so she can see what you see when you're sitting in the drivers seat. I know several couples on here have the wife back and the husband direct. I can back if I have to, but I really don't like it and it takes me a long time. You'll eventually find a system you're comfortable with. 2 times out might be a little opimistic... LOL
    Ray & Deb
    2008 3370 Bighorn #9072
    2008 F350 PS CC DRW

2. Print this Post   #12

One of the most important things when backing up is properly setting up the turn before you start to back in.

If backing to the left, pull up (and stop) on left side of the road. After a few tries you will figure out where the stop point is. For me and the Sundance, the stop point is when the front of the basement compartment reaches the right hand side of the entrance to the rv site.

After reaching this point, then turn hard right, and pull forward. Go as far as possible to the right side of the road. Then turn hard left, and pull forward until the trailer rear is pointed at the entrance of the camp site.

Then stop. At this point the rv maybe already pointing to the entrance of the rv site. If not, turn the steering wheel to the right, and begin backing in.

This maneuver gets the rear of the trailer pointed in the right direction before starting to back in. And it gives the front end of your truck room on the left side to swing the front end around.

If you need to back in on the blind side, just do the opposite as above.

I have seen this maneouver being taught by professional driving schools on the internet and I have found that it works well for me.

If it is not apparent to you from the description, what the manouver does is essentially put your truck and trailer in the same position they would be if you were exiting from your rv site.
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD D/A LTZ
    2009 Sundance 2900MK

3. Print this Post   #13

I drove over the road for years and got real practiced at backing big rigs so when we got the 5'er it was no problem. I used to say I could always tell when a tractor had power steering as the front of the rig was all over the place.
    Drive up to the site, get yourself out of the truck and walk and look where you want to end up and always make sure you LOOK UP. Next most important is the setup, 2nd most important is to keep your eyes moving, meaning keep checking both side mirrors and what is going on around you "DO NOT JUST STARE AT ONE SPOT" because you will hit something with the trunk.
    Go to a big parking lot that has lines in it and just practice, practice, practice. Practice from both sides, one thing I learned early in my trucking life was that "IF YOU ARE NOT SURE GET OUT AND GO LOOK"
    It's only backing not a IRS audit.
    Lee & Judy
    Eastern Oregon
    2011 Sundance
    3000RK
    2007 Ram 2500
    Cummin's 6.7 & Auto 6 spd

4. Print this Post   #14
    Past North Carolina Chapter Leader lduguay's Avatar

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!!

SLMayor..........I Love my wife......behind the wheel, I DONT THINK SO!!!! Getting her there would be the biggest challenge!!

BC....oh, I have searched, read and reread.....just looking for "fresh" ideas and everyones suggestions/tip are awesome!

Jim, no tellin what Terry has planned for me at the Rally.....so if I get a 3 on the scoring I will be happy

I think the best "suggestion" was the "adult beverage" angle......we do not partake, but I think this just might be worth a trip to the store!!!

THANKS ALL for the responses......gotta go PRACTICE NOW!!!!
    (after that I might NEED the "adult beverage"!!)

Lance
    Lance & Kem Duguay
    Waxhaw, NC
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 CC D/A with Firestone Ride Rite
    Curt Q5, Prodigy P3, RDS 60 Gal Combo, and TST 507RV TPMS
    2011 Big Country 3250TS, 2010-2013
    2014 Big Country 3650RL
    TITAN Disc Brakes added 2016...we can STOP!!!
    HOC Member #1850

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

5. Print this Post   #15

The way I have always visualized backing any trailer is, the trailer will go the same way as the back side of the steer tires. in more words if the wheels are turned to the right (as in making a forward moving right turn) the back of the wheels are pointed to the left, and that means that the back of the trailer will try to point to the left too.
    Alan, Sandy, and 2 Corgis, Molly and Baxter

6. Print this Post   #16

The first thing i do,, is send my dw on a walk to the far end of the camp ground, when she gets back, we are parked, and still speaking

7. Print this Post   #17
    Icantre Member

Quote Originally Posted by FARMER45 View Post
    The first thing i do,, is send my dw on a walk to the far end of the camp ground, when she gets back, we are parked, and still speaking
    A wise man.
    Bob & Joyce Krull
    Forest Grove, OR
    2009 Bighorn 3385

8. Print this Post   #18

I am totally new to the forum, but have been driving trucks and trailers all my adult life.

We (my wife and I) started with a bass boat where she had to back it into the water so I could run the boat. I took her out on a winter weekend and had her practice putting the boat in the water about 29 times.

The trick in my opinion is to have whomever is helping you to stand in view of the mirror and learn how to move to stay in view of the mirror and to point left and right. use LARGE hand signals that are easy to see such as waving back, or stop with the entire arm vs a finger or two. holding the arm completely pointing left or right, vs again just a finger. Make sure they stay out of the way of the trailer, and move from side to side if they cant see (an obsticle for instance). Make sure they can see the mirror, if they cant, you cant see them.

now for the driving part, you can say move the wheel this way to go that way all you want, you have to get in there and do it to learn. Its much more than just which way you turn the wheel, its WHEN you turn the wheel if you are going to make the turn. my best advice is to "drive" the trailer, not the truck, in other words look at where the rear of that trailer is going and adjust your steer to match your desired direction.

Good luck, and practice makes perfect (especially in an empty parking lot)

9. Print this Post   #19
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

I haven't tried this with my wife yet because I can normally get the rig where ever I want it to go. When we were workkamping in CA, one of my responsibilities was to help guide rigs into sites. After I got the driver set in position to start backing in, I would stand right next to the drivers window facing the rear. I would tell him to turn his wheels to the right and start backing up, while watching his trailers position and adjusting his turn as he was backing, the hardest part was to gain the confidence of the driver and making sure he was turning the steering wheel in the right direction. As he was backing in, I would walk along side and continue to talk him back.

Backing in the big 45ft. pushers was a piece of cake. Nice tight turning radius.

If a guest didn't want our help, I would stand back and make sure he didn't do any damage to his coach or the parks property. I received a lot of thanks from the wives.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

10. Print this Post   #20

Well, this would be a good topic for a seminar at the national rally. I know I might be a marked man by saying this, but I have a hard time backing also. some times easier than other. I find it very offensive and disrespectful when you have a bunch of people standing around watching and taken bets if your gonna hit something or how long it takes for you to get in. The camp grounds we stay at in Fl. has extremely small sites and the first time I had to back into my site, I got out of the truck and made a loud comment so the people could hear me, and they kinda dispursed. The RV life style has many good people and would do anything to help an RV'er in need of help. so when you see me pull in at the rally, please just come over and ask if I need any help, you might just gain a friend over it. JMHO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast