Thread: Black 1, 2, gray 1,2 - which is which - 2011 cyclone 3950

1. Print this Post   #1

Black 1, 2, gray 1,2 - which is which - 2011 cyclone 3950

Purchased a new 2011 cy3950. the pics in the manual for which drain is which doesn't seem specific to our model as they don't match up with what we see.

we have 3 valves that go out one drain connection behind a door labeled Gray #1. We also have 1 valve that goes out to another drain connection behind a door labeled Gray #2. nowhere around the valves (push/pull to open/close) does it say which are gray and which are black.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge to know which is which?

I emailed Heartland Customer Service over 5 days ago, but didn't hear back from them.

Help! Many thanks from a first timer!

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Black 1, 2, gray 1,2 - which is which - 2011 cyclone 3950

Dwestlake, welcome to the forum. I do not own a Cyclone soI can't help you out, but stay tuned there are plenty of owners that do and are willing to share information.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

I just purchased a 3800 and it has four valves. To figure out which was which I filled the grey tank in the font using a garden hose to the shower and put about 20 gals in it. I then opened the values one at a time to figure out which one was for the front grey tank. I then did the same for the black tank in the front and repeated the process for the sink in the back as well as the toilet.

My valve sequence from front to back is black, grey, grey, black. Go figure.

Tom Dameron

4. Print this Post   #4

I have a 2011 3950HD. The forward-most handle goes to the black tank from the front toilet (which is actually the second, larger downpipe). The second handle is for Grey1 (bathroom sink, shower, washer drain) which is the forward-most downpipe. The 3rd handle is for Grey #2 (Kitchen sink). The rear most handle behind the axles is for the rear bathroom black tank. The idea is to drain the black tank first, then the greys in order (Front to Rear). I have a hose-flusher on the rear black tank drain because there isn't a grey tank or tank flushing system to wash it out. Hope this helps.
    Brad & Lori

2011 Cyclone 3950HD towed by a 2011 Chevy 3500HD Duramax 4X4 using a Curt Q5 20K hitch

07 HD FXD
    02 HD VRSCA
    88 BMW 528
    94 3000GT

5. Print this Post   #5

Thank you all very much for your help! Your replies confirm what we though about the sequence of the valves. As new owners, our first visit to a dumping station was fairly comical and we ran out of time for 'testing' because there were people waiting behind us. But, having gotten that out of the way, and with your feedback, we're looking forward to our next trip and many years of fun with our new Cyclone! We absolutely love it!

Cheers!!
    Darrell & Susann

PS - if anyone from Heartland is reading this, may we suggest labeling the individual valves?

6. Print this Post   #6

I have a new 3850 and from front to back I have 1-Black 2-Grey 3-Black and 4-grey. Go figure. I now have them all nicely labeled so no more surprises I am hoping. Dealer explained to me in the wrong order. Mine are in a series of 2 handles, one set forward and one set aft.

7. Print this Post   #7

For what it's worth, I painted my gray handles so in the future when my labels fall off and my CRS kicks in, hopefully I won't be the guy standing at the dump station scratching his head while you all wait in line behind me.
    TrukNutt & Co.
    (Dave, Nona, Sienna, Maverick & Salem)
    U.S. Army, Retired (x2)
    2009 F450 6.4L PSD C/C Lariat Dually 4x4 ("The Beast")w/ReTrax Pro Tonneau, Bedsaver, Ride-Rites & Titan 67 gal. Tank

2004 EZ-GO Gas Golf Cart ("The Li'l Beast")
    1997 Harley FLHTCU (Retirement Present)
    2009 NAHOC Rally / PAHOC Rally
    2010 NAHOC Rally / NYHOC Rally / Hershey RV Show
    2011 PAHOC Rally / NAHOC Rally / DE 5-State "Sweat Lodge" Rally / Hershey RV Show / NYHOC Rally
    2012 PAHOC Rally / NYHOC Rally / Hershey RV Show
    2013 NAHOC Rally / PAHOC Rally / Hershey RV Show
    2014 NAHOC Rally (well almost, made it 12 miles)
    2015 NAHOC Rally
    2016 VAHOC Rally
    2017 PAHOC Rally / NAHOC Rally
    2018 HOC NE Region Rally
    2019 NAHOC Rally / NYHOC Rally / PAHOC Rally

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by tgdameron View Post
    I just purchased a 3800 and it has four valves. To figure out which was which I filled the grey tank in the font using a garden hose to the shower and put about 20 gals in it. I then opened the values one at a time to figure out which one was for the front grey tank. I then did the same for the black tank in the front and repeated the process for the sink in the back as well as the toilet.

My valve sequence from front to back is black, grey, grey, black. Go figure.

Tom Dameron
    Tom-

We just brought our new 3800 home last week...we played with it and figured out all the pulls...but can't figure out how to make the black tank flush work....we thought it should be as simple as hooking the hose up to the flush valve (the one right above the winterization tube)...running it through and pulling our Valves...but nothing happens...so frustrated.

Tina