Back-up for the Back-up

sdrubrecht

For those of us that dry camp, or just like to be prepared, how about a thread of tips and advice for being prepared? Here's my 2 tips:

1.Back-up water pump: Dont just buy a spare water pump. Install the new one and store the existing. That way you are storing one that you know worked, plus, you know the procedure, tools and parts you need.

2.Back-up battery charging: I carry a heavy-duty electronic 30 amp battery charger and a portable 700 watt inverter. Saved us when the clone's generator died. Could charge my 2 6volt batteries in about 5 hours off the TV. Idleing the diesel for 5 hours not great but better than cutting your trip short.

sdrubrecht

Dont know why it died. Only 15 hours on it at the time. We werent doing anything unusual. Local Onan/cummins said that the windings fried. They fixed it rightaway on warranty. I suspect QC at the Onan factory. Maybe Onan imports the windings from China, LOL. 90 hours on it now and still going strong.

mountain1

Since I saved money and did not get 4x4. When I know I am camping where the rains may really make getting out difficult I carry two buckets of sand. Saved me in Savannah. Don't help if you leave them at home.
I also carry a Balck and Decker vehicle jump box in case we leave the generator off to long.

Two week ends ago in Charlotte they had to pull out about ten vehicles to include the first tow truck.